Topic locked

Re: Ladies Tour - Southern Classic

Postby Witz78

just checked out the "prize money" for this tournament and it was far worse than i imagined.

£150 for the winner / Reanne
£90 for the runner up
£25 for the losing semi finalists

and not even BFH for the rest

so one of the 6 rankers / big tournaments for the womens game and theres a grand prize fund of £290 on offer. I wouldnt even play a tournament with my mates for such paltry sums.

Postby Monique

excerpt from Tim Dunkley's press release

REANNE Evans, desperate for a first win on World Snooker’s Main Tour, just can’t lose on the women’s circuit. The six-time women’s world champion extended her record-breaking unbeaten run to 80 matches with victory in the Southern Classic at Jesters Snooker Hall, Swindon…

Evans, who did not drop a frame in all four rounds, defeated Maria Catalano 3-0 in the final to claim her 27th ranking title on the World Ladies Billiards & Snooker Association circuit.

In a bizarre final frame, Evans gained 52 points while just three balls were potted.

The 25-year-old said: “In the first frame, Maria went 30-something up and I came back with a 59. It went close but I took a good final blue and pink to win.

“The second one I won easy but then in the third I was 27 down with 27 on and ended up 25 in front with the blue on. I played some good snookers.”

Evans, from Dudley, West Midlands, is praying for just one win in her first year on the professional circuit.

“I can’t win a close frame at the minute,” she explained. “Hopefully it’ll come in the next two events (the China Open and the World Championship).

“As long as I win one I’ll be happy – no matter where it is.”

Jesters was the venue of Evans’ first World Championship appearance in 2002, when she reached the semi-finals at the age of 16.

Jodie Symes is now 16. The world number 17 took advantage of home tables to take the junior title after her final opponent Hannah Jones, 14, from Derby, went in off the black in the third and deciding frame.

Earlier, Symes recorded a fine 3-2 win in the last-16 of the main competition against world number 12 Tina Owen-Sevilton (Taunton) before going out 3-0 in the quarter-finals to world number one Evans.

Owen-Sevilton defeated Jones 2-0 in the Plate final and Jenny Poulter (Maidstone) overcame Chris Sharpe (Chelmsford) 2-1 to claim the Seniors title.

The WLBSA is hosting six ranking events this season culminating in the World Championships in April.

RESULTS (BREAKS)

LAST-16: Reanne Evans (41) beat Naomi Clare 3-0, Jodie Symes beat Tina Owen-Sevilton 3-2, Gaye Jones beat Victoria Gibbs 3-0, Eva Palmius beat Martina Lumsden 3-1, Emma Bonney beat Jenny Poulter 3-0, Natascha Niermann beat Jasmine Bolsover 3-1, Chris Sharpe beat Vicky Carter 3-2, Maria Catalano beat Hannah Jones 3-0.

QUARTER-FINALS: Evans (45) beat Symes 3-0, Palmius (32) beat G Jones 3-1, Bonney (31, 59) beat Niermann 3-1, Catalano (58, 35) beat Sharpe 3-0.

SEMI-FINALS (£25): Evans (40, 52, 44) beat Palmius 3-0, Catalano (46, 32, 32, 33) beat Bonney 3-1.

FINAL (£150/£90): Evans (59, 36) beat Catalano 3-0.

PLATE

QUARTER-FINALS: Hannah Jones beat Naomi Clare 2-0, Jenny Poulter beat Victoria Gibbs 2-0, Tina Owen-Sevilton beat Jasmine Bolsover 2-0, Vicky Carter beat Martina Lumsden 2-1.

SEMI-FINALS: Jones beat Poulter (41) 2-1, Owen-Sevilton beat Carter 2-1.

FINAL (£20/£10): Owen-Sevilton beat Jones 2-0.

SENIORS

SEMI-FINALS: Jenny Poulter beat Gaye Jones 2-0, Chris Sharpe beat Martina Lumsden 2-1.

FINAL: Poulter beat Sharpe 2-1.

JUNIORS

SEMI-FINALS: Hannah Jones beat Naomi Clare 2-0, Jodie Symes beat Jasmine Bolsover 2-1.

FINAL: Symes beat Jones 2-1.

Postby Monique

Witz78 wrote:just checked out the "prize money" for this tournament and it was far worse than i imagined.

£90 for the runner up

so one of the 6 rankers / big tournaments for the womens game and theres a grand prize fund of £290 on offer. I wouldnt even play a tournament with my mates for such paltry sums.

Indeed. The women actually PAY to play in those tournaments. Not just their entries but count hotel, transport etc. And most of them have no sponsor at all.
The only one who's made a bit of money out of it must be Reanne and it's far from being enough to make any sort of living out of it.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:
Witz78 wrote:just checked out the "prize money" for this tournament and it was far worse than i imagined.

£90 for the runner up

Indeed. The women actually PAY to play in those tournaments. Not just their entries but count hotel, transport etc. And most of them have no sponsor at all.
The only one who's made a bit of money out of it must be Reanne and it's far from being enough to make any sort of living out of it.

And yet all we hear is complaints about how there's no money in the men's game. I heard somebody complaining the other day that there is only £7500 for the semi-finalists of the Welsh Open. I bet the women would give their butt-cheeks for such money. And of course, that paltry £4000 prize you get for a 147. :sad:

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Monique wrote:

£90 for the runner up

And yet all we hear is complaints about how there's no money in the men's game. I heard somebody complaining the other day that there is only £7500 for the semi-finalists of the Welsh Open. I bet the women would give their butt-cheeks for such money. And of course, that paltry £4000 prize you get for a 147. :sad:

to be fair i was looking at the prize money on offer for the Welsh Open the other day and thinking what a joke it is really for one of the 7 rankers this season.

Postby Wildey

ive been looking at Darts Price Money in the early days of the PDC and the likes of Phil Taylor went to Vegas for a First Price of £16,000.

we really need to start from somewhere regarding price money and built it up it wont fall out of trees Darts had to now with Barry at the Helm its the Turn of Snooker.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Monique wrote:excerpt from Tim Dunkley's press release

REANNE Evans, desperate for a first win on World Snooker’s Main Tour, just can’t lose on the women’s circuit. The six-time women’s world champion extended her record-breaking unbeaten run to 80 matches with victory in the Southern Classic at Jesters Snooker Hall, Swindon…

I'd like to see the Lady get some sort of recognition, or at least a mention, on this years SPOTY.
It would be not just great for Reanne Evans, but for the Ladies game in particular. Certainly wouldn't do any harm.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:ive been looking at Darts Price Money in the early days of the PDC and the likes of Phil Taylor went to Vegas for a First Price of £16,000.

we really need to start from somewhere regarding price money and built it up it wont fall out of trees Darts had to now with Barry at the Helm its the Turn of Snooker.

the prize fund has dropped since last year for this event though :chin:

Postby Witz78

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:

I'd like to see the Lady get some sort of recognition, or at least a mention, on this years SPOTY.
It would be not just great for Reanne Evans, but for the Ladies game in particular. Certainly wouldn't do any harm.

lets worry about the mens game getting a mention first rofl

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:ive been looking at Darts Price Money in the early days of the PDC and the likes of Phil Taylor went to Vegas for a First Price of £16,000.

the prize fund has dropped since last year for this event though :chin:

yes it needs relocating from Newport and re launch in some way.

Postby markj147

Witz78 wrote:
JohnFromLondonTown wrote:

Agree with Witz and John. Raise the profile of the mens game or snooker in general and the ladies game will benefit, but there is no harm in trying to raise the ladies profile at the same time to bring the game into general circulation and Reanne is the best ambassador that the ladies have got.

Postby Wildey

markj147 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
JohnFromLondonTown wrote:I'd like to see the Lady get some sort of recognition, or at least a mention, on this years SPOTY.

Agree with Witz and John. Raise the profile of the mens game or snooker in general and the ladies game will benefit, but there is no harm in trying to raise the ladies profile at the same time to bring the game into general circulation and Reanne is the best ambassador that the ladies have got.

Mark

what would you as someone in the know in the womens game like to see happening ?

Playing the PTC would help in raising profile and get experience against men but it costs £100 a go.