Topic locked

Championship League Snooker 2011

Postby Monique

According to Dave Hendon on twitter the very first match of the CLS next year will be John Higgins vs Mark Williams.
:ahh:

Group 1 will be played from 3 till 6 January 2011.

Ronnie is defending chapion in PL but will still play in Group 2 (24-27 January 2011)

Matchroom should publish more info on their site soon.

Re: Championship League Snooker 2011

Postby Monique

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... again.html
HIGGINS TO PLAY WILLIAMS AGAIN
John Higgins will play Mark Williams in the first match of the 2011 Championship League, which begins on January 3.

Higgins recovered from 9-5 down to beat Williams 10-9 in the final of the 12bet.com UK Championship last Sunday.

Their match at Crondon Park Golf Club in Essex will be over a shorter distance - five frames.

Higgins and Williams are part of a high quality line-up for group one, which also includes Ali Carter, Stephen Maguire, Graeme Dott, Mark Selby and Shaun Murphy.

The top four in the group will contest the play-offs with the winner through to the final winners' group in March.

The bottom two players will be relegated while the remaining four players go into group two on January 5 and 6, where they will be joined by Neil Robertson, Ronnie O'Sullivan and Jamie Cope.

Stephen Hendry, Ding Junhui, Mark Allen, Peter Ebdon and Marco Fu are among the well known names who will play in later groups.

The seven group winners contest the final group, the winner of which receives an invite into the Premier League.

The Championship League, now in its fourth year, is shown live on the internet on various betting websites.

Players receive £100 for every frame won, plus bonuses in the play-offs and a £10,000 eventual first prize.

Postby Wildey

im not sure about this event.

it seems like a hell of a lot of matches to get 1 player for the PL.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:im not sure about this event.

I suspected it would get criticism this season but remember its Hearns creation and now that Hearn has turned the main tour around, his CL would come in for grief.

Whilst the event does generate a place for Premier League this is only one of a number of reasons it exists.

It was primarily set up to provide match practice to players as there were so many gaps in the tour but also from Hearns Matchroom Sport to generate business for the bookmakers with the games being streamed online etc.

Its more snooker for us to watch and talk about so whats the problem?

One minute we complain theres gaps in the calendar, now we complain the players are in action almost every week <doh>

Postby Wildey

i just think the whole set up is slightly iffy you could make more cash and get more practice by loosing in the play off of each group.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:i just think the whole set up is slightly iffy you could make more cash and get more practice by loosing in the play off of each group.

yeh in the first year Ali Carter seemed to always get beat in the final of every Group, that period of good matchplay and practice was for me the key reason his game progressed to the next level as not long after he made the World Final, ironically beating Perry in the semis, who was another serial CL performer in 2008.

Postby Wildey

the biggest fault of the system is if you win group 1 then you cant play in the next 6.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:the biggest fault of the system is if you win group 1 then you cant play in the next 6.

a fairer way might be keeping the 7 groups of 5 and seeding the groups assuming the top 35 players play in it.

so you could say the winner of the league goes through to the final stages as well and the 2nd-5th place players in league play semis and final to decide the 2nd player who goes through to the final stages too.

The other 5 players in this group are eliminated fully from the CL

and then repeat the process 6 more times with the next 6 groups then your left with 2 final groups of 7, play these and the top2 in each progress to the semis and final to decide who is the overall winner.

Postby randam05

StalinESQ wrote:

<laugh>

One minute you are crying about lack of snooker, now you complaining about too much snooker. Make your intercoursing mind up <laugh> :D <laugh> :D

I do agree though, im suprised players are bothered to enter..i mean why is ronnie there? surely hes guaranteed his place?

Anyone know of anywhere to watch it other than sports betting websites?

Postby Monique

randam05 wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:

<laugh>

One minute you are crying about lack of snooker, now you complaining about too much snooker. Make your intercoursing mind up <laugh> :D <laugh> :D

I do agree though, im suprised players are bothered to enter..i mean why is ronnie there? surely hes guaranteed his place?

Anyone know of anywhere to watch it other than sports betting websites?

It's good match practice against other top players, payed practice and it's on his doorstep. Why not?

Postby Wildey

StalinESQ wrote:

<laugh>

One minute you are crying about lack of snooker, now you complaining about too much snooker. Make your bucking mind up <laugh> :D <laugh> :D

i think they could use the time and cash used for this event better with a proper tournament or 2 even a Ranking tournament then use the contract for Betting shops streaming in the PTC.

Postby Witz78

Wild
The CL is a Matchroom event so can be screened.
Though Hearn would love the qualifiers to be screened too thanks to Rodney Walkers deal with 110 sport he cant!