50%
Terrible failure
38%
Didn't see it/Don't care
13%

Total votes : 16

Re: Power Snooker: Success or Failure ?

Postby Wildey

i have now read your blog out of interest the same way i read matthew syed article this morning.

i cant agree with hardly anything you said or matthew said because i did not watch it after 30 minutes so the rowdiness of the crowd was never really witnessed by me.

as for being threatened by it maybe a tad before watching it but after 5 minutes the thought of it threatening the real game totally vanished and all i felt was ok a interesting concept but then it became repetitive same old same old a bit like darts throw after throw = chance after chance and after 30 minutes i had seen enough but out of interest i watched a bit of selby v carter but it was the same frame with different players so at that point i switched it off.

regarding the rules it needs refining if it has any hope

ball in hand = good idea

power ball= good idea however not under time limit (once you pot the power ball then power play for the entire frame) 2 many clocks involved in different things shot clock, frame time clock then power play clock that did my head in.

power zone = scrap it totally useless

the rules overall was badly thought through and everything had emphasis on bloody clocks.

i will never like it as i say its to repetitive and boring for me but i cant and never understand why people thought the rules was ok because they was not.

Postby Monique

Ultimate_snooker wrote:power play for the rest of the frame seems a good idea, encorage players to get to that fairly quickly

Not sure of that, as if they miss it's for their opponent to benefit of it for the rest of the frame.

Postby Wildey

but all these clocks has to get binned it did nothing for the game only give me a headache and encourage me to switch off.

also as i said scrap power zone and ball in hand from anywhere on the table.

Postby Monique

Wild the shot clock is a necessity. Otherwise it's simple: the first player to pot a ball contemplates the next shot up to the end of the game ... there he's won it!

Postby SnookerFan

As always, Ronnie brings a somewhat different perspective. <laugh> As do ThisisLondon;

Ronnie O'Sullivan declared it the day snooker finally entered the 21st century and there was certainly no disguising the fact that the inaugural Power Snooker tournament announced itself in brash style.

The Rocket took home a cheque for £35,000 by beating Ding Junhui in the final of the quickfire format and then hailed a new era in the game.

"Snooker has finally entered the 21st century, he said. "I've won a lot of trophies but this is the one I have enjoyed the most.

"I loved every minute of it. The crowd got involved and there were some interesting matches.

"Snooker has been waiting for a long time for something like this to come along and now it's here to stay."

The format, devised by musical impresario Rod Gunner, was designed to breathe new life into the staid image of the sport and on Saturday's evidence its bold, in-your-face approach paid off with a healthy and vociferous crowd of 1,700 piling into the O2's Indigo arena.

The basic premise sees each game last half an hour, there are no frames and the player with most points wins the match. Potting the middle red – the PowerBall – triggers a two-minute PowerPlay where each ball subsequently potted counts double. Throughout, players are on a shot clock of 20 seconds.

Spectators watched the action from a raised viewing area while VIPs quaffed posh meals – it was part-restaurant, part-rowdy snooker club.

Traditionalists would have been appalled at how such a serene pastime could have spawned such a gregarious beast – and that won't have been helped by the sight of a glamorous 'Power Girl' somewhat uncomfortably leading a startled looking 15-year-old from Belgium, Luca Brecel, to the stage.

Gone was the staple uniform of waistcoat and bow tie, replaced by a series of snappy, brightly-coloured open-necked shirts, in the case of world number two Ali Carter's choice of yellow, some more eye-catching than others. "I'm getting paid a lot of money to wear this", he later said after some merciless ribbing from the raucous crowd.

Brecel was among the eight players given the chance to cast off their inhibitions and show the public their more human, less robotic side. Sadly for one so young this was no place for shrinking violets and Brecel was ruthlessly dispatched by O'Sullivan in the opener.

Like Twenty20 in cricket, a large part of the 'fun' element for fans comes with the chance to drink steadily throughout the day, which meant that by the final, to many, the snooker was merely playing along in the background.

It is therefore difficult not to view the format as simply catering for the drunken masses and as a result it can be argued that the biggest change on show was the ferocity of the crowd and their football-style chanting.

Amongst all the praise, it was perhaps surprising that the only real note of caution came from Jimmy White, long-known for attracting a vocal following.

"It's a good game for TV and the crowd got behind it", White said.

"They might need someone in the middle of frames to make them (the fans) laugh or keep them in control. They can just shout what they want, the more beers there are, the more lairy they're going to get."

Former world champion Shaun Murphy, who fell to Ding in the semi-finals added: "I stand at Old Trafford every week screaming and shouting at the referees and the players and if they make a bad pass they're rubbish, if they score, then they're like gods. If you can't stand the heat get out the kitchen."

Gunner was impressed by the popularity of the tournament, which also included Mark Selby and Neil Robertson.

He said: "It has been absolutely fantastic. It was everything we wanted and the fans seemed to have really enjoyed it. I think it has a future."

So what will snooker have learned from this premiere? Well, Power Snooker was a game that made Ding Junhui smile (no mean feat), it made Rocket Ronnie laugh (again no mean feat) and he didn't mention the word 'retirement' at all. It gave Carter a new nickname of 'Canary' and showed that 1980s hit Snooker Loopy is surprisingly still well-remembered.

But more importantly for Barry Hearn's plans for a revolution, it came charging in full of hype and ended with its leading figure walking off with the trophy... a winning formula that looks likely to attract sponsors and claim a regular place alongside the traditional game.

Postby Roland

It's fairly obvious that wild doesn't "get it" therefore take any of his suggestions for improvements with a pinch of salt.

Postby Witz78

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:i have now read your blog out of interest the same way i read matthew syed article this morning.

i cant agree with hardly anything you said or matthew said because i did not watch it after 30 minutes so the rowdiness of the crowd was never really witnessed by me.

as for being threatened by it maybe a tad before watching it but after 5 minutes the thought of it threatening the real game totally vanished and all i felt was ok a interesting concept but then it became repetitive same old same old a bit like darts throw after throw = chance after chance and after 30 minutes i had seen enough but out of interest i watched a bit of selby v carter but it was the same frame with different players so at that point i switched it off.

regarding the rules it needs refining if it has any hope

ball in hand = good idea

power ball= good idea however not under time limit (once you pot the power ball then power play for the entire frame) 2 many clocks involved in different things shot clock, frame time clock then power play clock that did my head in.

power zone = scrap it totally useless

the rules overall was badly thought through and everything had emphasis on bloody clocks.

i will never like it as i say its to repetitive and boring for me but i cant and never understand why people thought the rules was ok because they was not.

Power snooker has variances throughout the frame. Its regular snooker but with the Powerball, PowerZone and Shot clock thrown in to the mix.

Regular snooker has er, well just regular snooker continuously so surely this is more repetitive and boring? :chin:

Im going to stick my neck on the line and say after a days time to fully digest the Powersnooker ive now decided i want the next step to be a ranking tournament of the Powersnooker format. Theres definetly a market for it and id love to hear Hearns thoughts on how Saturday went.

The only changes id make is scrap the 50 point bonus for a century, theres no need for it really :sad:

Music between the frames was a surprising ommission, didnt make sense really. A few rousing numbers between frames early on would have got the crowd going quicker.

Also a tweak is required to stop the scenario arising where someone runs the clock down by taking it into a safety battle, then again this is tactics i guess. No different to a football match when a teams defending a lead and not taking any risks.

Postby sundaygirl

I think Power Snooker may be a success, but only if events are by invitation only. Any player who repeatedly played to defend an early lead would know it is unlikely they would be asked back next time. The essence of this format is entertainment over winning at all costs. If you will inspiration over perspiration.
Last edited by sundaygirl on 01 Nov 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

witz

ill be honest i dont think power snooker will ever be played again in that state and even if it will be played again it will never be classed as sport its not snooker and should never be mentioned as sport it should be in this section viewforum.php?f=36 not other sport.

regarding shot clock yes thats necessary with this format and obviously the 30 minute thing was neccesaraly the 2 minute power play was crass and not needed it was literally a head buck.

time here there and everywhere compounded the boardom. it should have been sponsored by big ben.

Postby Bourne

I haven't read it but Hendon said his rant compared the tournament to something on the Loose Women level of class, which I thought was funny :)

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:I haven't read it but Hendon said his rant compared the tournament to something on the Loose Women level of class, which I thought was funny :)

That's about accurate too <ok>

Postby Roland

POWER GAME PROVES FOUL AND MISS

The Decision to nudge the sport towards the 'lads' mag market is sad and grubby move,writes Matthew Syed

IF you took a malevolent impresario — the entertaiment of Descartes's evil genius — and asked him to come up with the crassest, cheapest, tackiest and most godforsakenly awful sporting event in history. If you incentivised him with a wad of cash for every toe that duly curled. If you offered a bonus for making it as ghastly for the live punter as the television viewer. If you gave him a large cheque for every mouth that whimpered "no more, please".
Even then, he (I am assuming that evil geniuses are invariably masculine) would be hard pressed to have come up with anything so fiendishly and consist­ently awful as Power Snooker.
To enter the IndigO2 Arena in the O2 in London on Saturday was to enter a kind of sporting purgatory, a glimpse of what sport would look like if handed over to the producers of The Jerry Springer Show.
The problem was not the format. The Power Snooker rules, with nine reds, a power zone and matches played over the course of 30 minutes, were only partially awful. The players slowly got their heads around the tactical chal­lenges and there were decent passages of play, albeit overshadowed by the glaring fact that a player in the lead after 15 minutes could while away the rest of the contest by playing safe
No, the problem was not the product but the packaging It was the self-
conscious attempt by the promoters
(two individuals with a background in
the entertainment business) to 'add
sparkle", "inject a little glamour" and
"bring snooker into the modem
The modern age? Well. yes. if moder­nity is defined by what passes for an editorial in Nuts magazine.
The slow-motion car crash com­menced in the opening few minutes

when Matt Smith — usually a compe­tent broadcaster — announced that the coveted trophy would be brought to the stage by the Power Girls, three models who duly walked out carrying what looked like a plastic darts board. Danni, Hollie and Peta will give you something to look at," Smith felt moved to tell us. Whether that was in the script or it was simply a case of Smith getting caught up in the lad-mag shtick was not entirely clear.
9 Either way, Smith and his co-presenter then encouraged the audi­ence to "get involved" and to "let the beers flow", with the entirely predicta­ble consequence that by the evening session a sozzled cohort were sending a steady flow of obscenities down from the balcony as the rest of the audience cringed with embarrassment Shaun Murphy, a little on the rotund side, had to put up with "you fat b******" and "keep your chin up, son". Ding Junhui endured various taunts bordering on the racist that I don't feel like repeating. Michaela Tabb, the refe­ree, was the subject of various sexual in-nuendos that left the highly respected referee squirming with embarrassment. Patricia Murphy, the other referee, who happens to be not quite as glamorous as Tabb, was informed: "We want Michaela, we want Michaela".Even more crudely, the players were so often incited by sections of the crowd to "pot the brown" that Ali Carter was actually asked about it in a post-match interview by the increasingly hapless Smith. It was at that point that you wondered if Power Snooker was, in fact, not a sporting event but a post-modern film set put together by the people who brought you American Pie.It is difficult to know whether the pro­moters are saddened or pleased that they managed to transport snooker back to the football terraces of the 1970s, but they can hardly be surprised. The crowd had been invited to drink a lot of beer and to make a lot of noise, and a minority had done so with gusto.Of course, football players can run around the pitch when under fire from the crowd, but snooker players have no­where to hide. They often have to sit for minutes at a time with nothing to do except sip water, so it is not terribly easy to sustain composure while being chided. Murphy, a decent cove, squirmed so uncomfortably that I began to feel sorry for him—but not as sorry as for the spectator beside me who had brought his young son.
Barry Hearn, the chairman of World Snooker, sanctioned the Power Snook­er event on the basis that it offered the chance of bringing a new audience to sport, thus boosting the events owned and run by his organisation. Quite what he made of it is as yet unknown, but it is understood he thinks the jury is still out.
I have news for him. This was shame­less, tasteless and undigested drivel of a kind that makes Loose Women look classy. Expect it to catch on.

Postby Roland

It's interesting to hear what was going on out of earshot from watching on tv. He was obviously influenced by what he heard from the crowd and based his opinion on that and not what it would be like with a different audience.

Postby Bourne

Some very good points and I can't really disagree with him, but I still have no problem with this tournament being in an exho-type arena.

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:It's interesting to hear what was going on out of earshot from watching on tv. He was obviously influenced by what he heard from the crowd and based his opinion on that and not what it would be like with a different audience.

It's always very sad to hear of a sporting event ruined for a young lad or young girl, but really Power Snooker was probably ill-advised.

That said, this article sums it up for me...

Postby Witz78

WildJONESYE + Someone who can write articulately = Matthew Syed

A joke article IMO

Power Snooker is here to stay and will grow and grow. Within2 seasons we will either have an established Power Snooker tour similar to the level of the old World Series of Snooker or there will be a Power Snooker equivalent event on the main tour as a Ranking Event.

Postby Wildey

Interesting Read

but you do get the idea where witz comes from the boo boy from scotland if he was there he would have been one of the embarasing people making a goof of themselves on TV Being racist,sexist, fatist and any such ist going however when all the dust has settles all eyes will be on them and only one ist will be left sausage Headist <ok>

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Absolutely no chance whatsoever of a ranking event, that's just silly talk.

plenty of important darts matches are played in similar atmospheres

yes i know snooker isnt darts but in the old days of the 80s before the PDC was formed the crowds were silent and respected the players when at the oche (as still happens in the BDO today which gets is pelters from the yoof of today as being boring and outdated)

a similar changing of attitudes could happen in snooker in the future if a new generation / niche market of fans starts to follow the sport off the back of Power Snooker.

I dont see what the harm would be to have a ranking event on the Power Snooker format (albeit with a few tweaks)

I thought most of yous realised we need to have different formats to attract new fans, keep the sport from going stale etc. Im fully behind Power Snooker and my only regret is that i didnt go to the 02 at the weekend. I will be at the next event wherever it is. <ok> Listen out for my disgraceful chants <cool>

Postby Wildey

he is talking bullocks now ......

that's my problem with new ideas and innovations in snooker thers idiots talking rubbish afterwords.

when they do 5 aside football with no offside there's no talk of making the FA Cup a 5 aside competition but for some reason water on the brain or whatever makes people talk rubbish after "different" ideas in snooker. <doh>