Topic locked

Re: Betfred.Com World Championship The Final Day 2 Discussio

Postby Bourne

If Higgins does indeed bring out his A-game and it manages to unsettle Judd then that's fine that's what snooker and matchplay is all about and i'll be the first to congratulate him, but jojo's right Higgins has not been at his best for long, long patches of this tournament despite a few comfortable looking wins, he has to bring out every ounce of his fighting spirit and try to throw Judd out of his rythym which will not be easy because Judd is not frightened of playing his game. But we're entering unchartered territory now, the sport's biggest stage, second day of the world final.

Postby rjclarke91

Really looking foward to tomorrow. Trump has completley blown me away since winning the China open, before I started to doubt him but he has shown us all he is the real deal. Fantastic to watch at his best and love the show boating at the end of frames. I think he will see it out tomorrow, he has already proved he is no choker and as already aluded to he is not battle scared. If he does see it through it'll be interested to see how he hadles being world champion, I have a feeling he might be the type of player to really thrive of being the world champion but don't want to take anything for granted because Higgins is still dangerous.

Postby jojo

exactly bourne that why if judd wins the first session 5-3 tomorrow i cant see higgins touching him

all throughout the tournament higgins not been near his a game he already had a 13-4 record over lee and psychological edges over ronnie and williams

he has to go out and win it instead of his opponent and run of the ball helping him

fabulous day for snooker it will be if trump win tomorrow i will carry on watching snooker if higgins loses

Postby jojo

that barely counts because trump was nowhere near the player his is now he was expected to lose that also he was never in a winning position in that match so he wont have any scars to be honest i doubt he even remember that match

Postby Bourne

I know I should feel uber nervous for the Monday sessions of the final but it's weird on this occasion because I feel so confident on Judd winning, with someone like Ding you're never sure when a collapse is around the corner but Judd has an air off assurance that very few players have when in the lead and I trust him. Could come back to bite me up the ass of course but it's starting to feel very real now ...

Postby Tubberlad

jojo wrote:i have faith in judd so im pretty confident i will still follow the game after tomorrow ha

The passion would take a bit of a knocking alright, but at the end of the day I need snooker just like an alcoholic needs drink. It's a passion.

Postby vodkadiet

Great players have the knack of playing their best when the prize is the biggest. Trump doesn't have the look of someone who will falter in sight of victory. This reminds me of when Hendry won the title in 1990, with the only difference being Hendry was already established as a top player.

Higgins is going to have to show Trump his teeth from the start of the 3rd session. I believe Higgins has a high break of only 64 so far,this isn't good enough. He will need to win frames in one visit quite regularly.

There was something about tonight that suggested a new era had arrived, and there was a feeling of inevitability about proceedings. I think Higgins may have also felt it. I hope I am wrong, but that is how it seemed.

Postby Tubberlad

vodkadiet wrote:Great players have the knack of playing their best when the prize is the biggest. Trump doesn't have the look of someone who will falter in sight of victory. This reminds me of when Hendry won the title in 1990, with the only difference being Hendry was already established as a top player.

Higgins is going to have to show Trump his teeth from the start of the 3rd session. I believe Higgins has a high break of only 64 so far,this isn't good enough. He will need to win frames in one visit quite regularly.

There was something about tonight that suggested a new era had arrived, and there was a feeling of inevitably about proceedings. I think Higgins may have also felt it. I hope I am wrong, but that is how it seemed.

Trump has impressed me, and surprised me aswell to be honest, with how well he has coped under pressure, not just at the Crucible, but China before that. When Robbo got that outrageous fluke and robbed a frame off him with the end looming in their first round match, he just turned around and put together a composed frame and closed it out. Very impressive.

I like him, he's a fine player and will bring new fans in. I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of people who don't follow snooker coming over to me and asking if I was watching Judd Trump <ok>

Postby jojo

i think i can live without snooker obviously otherwise i wont be doing it if higgins wins it will feel like breaking up with someone when you dont want to ie it for the best under the circustances it wont be ideal not being able to follow snooker that how strongly i feel against higgins

anyway im very confident judd will see it through tomorrow he hasnt got the battle scars ronnie and williams had higgins got no hold on him like he did them two also judd playing better than ronnie and williams did even though clearly judd not been at his best today he been close to it

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

He stands out because of how young he is. The only other one close to his age is Ding who has the language barrier but Trump is the first properly youthful player to reach the top since Hunter a decade ago. Trump himself mentioned that he's interested in fashion, music etc while the other top players are in their 30's and married with children.

Postby jojo

the judd v ding rivalry could be the best weve had in snooker and it will be especially good for me if judd win tomorrow because im a neutral so i wont feel pressure like other fans might i will just be rooting for a decider in all their matches

Postby Bourne

That semi-final was special I don't think we'll get close to that in this final to be honest, the level from both players at the business end was just superb when they arguably had no right to be so confident, but it's great for the game that the younger players are now taking the bull by the horns and not being afraid to win.

Postby vodkadiet

jojo wrote:the judd v ding rivalry could be the best weve had in snooker and it will be especially good for me if judd win tomorrow because im a neutral so i wont feel pressure like other fans might i will just be rooting for a decider in all their matches

I feel that Trump has something extra, in comparison with Ding. If he wins tomorrow it is going to be how he deals with the expectancy of winning almost every match. Players will be queueing up to make a name for themselves by beating the World Champion.

This may well be Higgins's last chance of winning the world title, so he will be giving blood tomorrow.
Last edited by vodkadiet on 02 May 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet

I will add that the John Higgins that won in 1998 was 2 classes above the John Higgins of today. The standard of snooker he produced in the final that year was sublime. It is father time, no stopping it I'm afraid.

Postby jojo

i agree the john higgins of 1998 was much better than jon higgins today only difference is todays higgins getting through purely on matchplay and experience and it helped massively that he went into matches with lee ronnie and williams with psychological edges over them especially the latter two who had battlescars against higgins and that became evident in the business end of the quarters and semi final matches

but it really good that two young players by that i mean really young players in their early twenties not players like murphy robertson selby etc who nearly thirty but very young players who finally look like grabbing the bull by the horn and saying buck off to the old brigade we not scared of you

time is definitely catchng up with higgins not too sure with ronnie as he wasnt totally match sharp coming into this years tournament but if im really honest i wouldnt mind if neither of higgins williams and ronnie never win a title again

it would probably be a good thing for snooker i really want these youngsters to break through properly i want new blood and fresh rivalries it now 2011 not 2001 or 1991

ive a feeling if trump wins tomorrow which im really confident he will this will give a lot of confidence to other young players

Postby vodkadiet

Alex0paul WC wrote:It is a shame that the winner of semi final 2 is at a major disadvantage again.

The last player to win the world title after being involved in a tough second semi final was Ebdon in 2002, when he beat Stevens 17-16 and then beat Hendry in the final. Ebdon even found time to have a couple of drinks with Stevens after the match, as well as the press conferences!!!

Ebdon <cool>

Postby jojo

i think it tough luck if people say the player who played the second semi is at a disadvantage in the uk higgins had a whole day off before the final whereas williams went into a decider against murphy the night before

i think it fine as it is theres no proper solution i wouldnt really want the event to start on a friday so we can have an extra day off on the final saturday for the two finalists to rest

anyway higgins didnt finish his semi final late i think it was just after nine o clock or even half nine

one solution they can have is pushing the times forward on the final saturday ie starting the sessions at 10am then 2pm then at 6pm

Postby Bourne

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Bourne wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:It is quite amazing: Trumps ranking events result this season:

Shanghai Masters: Last 32: Lost 5-3 to Maguire
World Open: Last 32: Lost 3-2 to Maguire
UK: Last 16: Lost 9-7 to Joyce
German Masters: Last 32: Lost 5-2 to Hendry
Welsh Open: Lost in qualifying 4-1 to Rod Lawler (!) The last player who beat him this season in a ranker
China Open: Winner
World Championship: Final (so far)

What the hell happened between the Welsh Open and the China Open? Has he sold his soul?

I truly believe it was that one win over Marco Fu in China R1, that freed the shackles, a win over a top-16 player in testing circumstances, and he backed it up against the sort of opponent that he has struggled with in the past. From then on he had the momentum and form + confidence = success.

Was that match against Fu on TV? Was there a visible sign after that victory, like a fist pump or something?

The year Trump was on the Premier League and made the semis he really impressed me. But unfortunately he couldn't carry on and his results were so disappointing last and this season especially that defeat against Hendry. I had doubts he would make it.

But the lyrics of his intro music are rightly: "I had known it all my life. I used to dream about ... I made it"

And boy, Judd Trump made it.

11:30 <ok>