Topic locked

Re: Betfred.Com World Championship Day 15 Discussion !!

Postby DavieMac

Sonny wrote:If you think the UK final will have affected Williams then you don't know what he's about.

If I was being impartial I would say Williams is dominating the match and is playing better than Higgins and is due a few kindly nudges. I can't see his standard dropping and I also can't see Higgins suddenly recapturing his form of a couple of years ago.

But because I'm in fanboy mode I'm scared shitless Williams has missed the boat and Higgins will get a timely fluke and run of centuries post fluke and end up winning without Williams playing a single bad shot.

I will settle for 5-3 to Williams in the morning session, then I'll know he's definitely not going to lose.

Timely fluke?... The way people carry on here i'd swear the only people to get flukes are Higgins and Trump but anyway I digress.

I firmly agree with the 1st part. What happened today wont bother him 1 bit and he'll continue to play the way he has been playing.

Postby Caledonian Craig

I don't think anyone thinks Higgins is invincible. It is very tough to choose between Higgins and Williams as they are both the best match players out there. Williams has look the more assured during this tournament and that is what leads me to believe he will win tomorrow but Higgins won't hand it to him so it could be a classic going right down to the wire. If Williams still leads after tomorrow morning's session I'd fancy him pretty strongly to win the match.

Postby Roland

Good post jojo. I know exactly what you mean. I didn't see the first session of the Lee match but everything else I've seen fits the mopping up scraps description for Higgins. Higgins so far has been 80% of what he was 2 years ago. Ronnie was missing way more than he usually does, Rory got him missing way more than he's ever done, and in the Williams match he is staying in it by mopping up scraps and playing well in patches. If it was a boxing match, Williams would administer the KO blow in the next round, he looks much sharper and if the pattern of the match continues it should be a case of holding him off, pick off the frames as they come and comfortably get to 17 first with a few frames to spare.

But if Higgins gets 3 of the first 4 tomorrow morning, I will be recycling my pants.

Postby vodkadiet

DavieMac wrote:
Sonny wrote:If you think the UK final will have affected Williams then you don't know what he's about.

If I was being impartial I would say Williams is dominating the match and is playing better than Higgins and is due a few kindly nudges. I can't see his standard dropping and I also can't see Higgins suddenly recapturing his form of a couple of years ago.

But because I'm in fanboy mode I'm scared shitless Williams has missed the boat and Higgins will get a timely fluke and run of centuries post fluke and end up winning without Williams playing a single bad shot.

I will settle for 5-3 to Williams in the morning session, then I'll know he's definitely not going to lose.

Timely fluke?... The way people carry on here i'd swear the only people to get flukes are Higgins and Trump but anyway I digress.

I firmly agree with the 1st part. What happened today wont bother him 1 bit and he'll continue to play the way he has been playing.

I don't think Williams lets things affect him too much, but Higgins is capable of not giving Williams a shot for 4 frames, and it could depend on run of the ball.

Postby DavieMac

jojo wrote:williams will tame him and with it all the fanboys who thnk higgins is invincible

Who exactly thinks Higgins is invincible?... Seems thats in your head. No-one elses.

Higgins @, supposedly, 80% has won a major and a ranking title. If he finds an extra 1.5%... watch out.

Postby Bourne

It's timing of flukes that matter, almost every one of Judd's were when a frame was already won and he's showboating. btw he's easily alongside Ronnie in those stakes now, just a stunning variety of exho shots go use and the crowd bucking love it !

Postby GJ

come on mate a few of the flukes were in tight frames

dings reaction was class just nodding his head

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Yes but Williams is the one single player out of all the professionals who will not let it bother him. Martin Gould has that about him as well but he's not as good as Mark Williams. If it goes 16-16 and Williams gets one of those long straight reds where the red is middle of the table and white is near baulk cushion, then he is just as likely to slot it in in that frame as if it was 5-5 or 10-6 or 1-10 or whatever the score is.

the biggest compliment anyone could give Mark Williams was when Stephen Hendry said if i had Mark's temperament i would have won a hell of a lot more tournament.....

Postby Bourne

GJ wrote:come on mate a few of the flukes were in tight frames

dings reaction was class just nodding his head

Ding had luck too, it's not just pots that are 'lucky' ... cannons, pack-solitudes, kicks etc ... but the player at the table earns their own luck IMO.

Postby DavieMac

Bourne wrote:It's timing of flukes that matter, almost every one of Judd's were when a frame was already won and he's showboating. btw he's easily alongside Ronnie in those stakes now, just a stunning variety of exho shots go use and the crowd bucking love it !

:roll:

Postby Tubberlad

I don't think people are giving Mark Williams credit for how good he actually is. His temprament has always been excellent.

Today was the best I've seen him play since 2003, and if he can produce that tomorrow, he will win this match. Williams in 2003 was frightening.

Postby jojo

i believe great sportspeople have luck along the way they need it

mourinhos porto goal when they knocked out man united was offside yet it was given and they went on to win the champions league and mourinho told everyone how special he is as he the european champion

boris becker the year he won his only us open title he was match point down in one of the earlier rounds played a shot the ball hit the net and just about fell over the other side he won the point came back in the match and went on to win his 4th grand slam title

with higgins i dont give a flying buck what anyone says but he was lucky against cope in 2009 when cope was about to win but the ball rolled off because of the slate otherwise higgins would have been snookered on all the reds which were open in the frame cop needed to win the match when he 12-11 and 48-0 up

ive mentioned what happened against dott but great players like higgins make the most of their opportunity

even against ronnie holy buck he lost the tactical exchange ronnie had him in trouble in that frame yet he flukes the red and before these higgins worshipping clowns say well he still had to pot the balls but they were scattered everywhere and by that i mean everywhere he landed plumb on the black all colours open reds either side of the baulk line and blue meaning he could lose position a few times there were still reds there

those were for ronnie to pot he made a century in the last frame and the way the balls were he was pretty much guaranteed to win that frame make it 12-11 as he didnt have to do anything with the cueball

and at 12-11 who knows ? momentum with ronnie anything could have happened so the fluke wasnt epidemic like some higgins worshippers want everyone to believe

he wont keep getting these crucial rubs at critical moments time is running out for him i genuinely believe williams will beat him tomorrow i cant see higgins winning unless he gets a crucial run of the ball which he goes on to take advantage of like sonny was saying

the law of averages says it wont be his turn to get a rub of the green tomorrow at the business end
Last edited by jojo on 29 Apr 2011, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Caledonian Craig

Judd Trump has won me over. He looks the most likely of the current crop of players to become the next multiple world champion. I say this as he is streets ahead of other players of his generation and I get the feeling the Higgins, O'Sullivan and Williams era is coming to an end. Higgins and O'Sullivan have missed incredible shots here that I've never seen them miss before and that tells me that age may be catching up with them (it does with all snooker players). If that is the case Trump is very well placed and talented enough to fill the void left behind. I know those three aren't finished yet but I get the inkling they aren't as bullet proof as they once were. Just my opinion.

Postby GJ

the robbo , selby generation are still well in their prime though so will be a big threat to ding and trump as well craig
Last edited by GJ on 29 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby wheelsofsteel

I hope we get one player in both semis coming out and wiping the floor with the other guy, reeling off the frames they need in one sitting.

I do not want a repeat of last year with two players falling asleep in the final because they were so knackered after the semis

Postby GJ

wheelsofsteel wrote:I hope we get one player in both semis coming out and wiping the floor with the other guy, reeling off the frames they need in one sitting.

I do not want a repeat of last year with two players falling asleep in the final because they were so knackered after the semis

sorry robbo paced himself and was strong at the end not his fault dotty was knackered

robbo :hatoff: <cool>

Postby wheelsofsteel

GJ wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:I hope we get one player in both semis coming out and wiping the floor with the other guy, reeling off the frames they need in one sitting.

sorry robbo paced himself and was strong at the end not his fault dotty was knackered

dott was dead on day one.

Robertson was shattered on day two, hence the reason why he couldn't get going and get over the line.

Postby Caledonian Craig

GJ wrote:the robbo , selby generation are still well in their prime though so will be a big threat to ding and trump as well craig

Neil Robertson yes but Mark Selby strikes me as like Steven Maguire - always the bridesmaid never the bride. By that I mean always tipped but never quite able to take the final steps to greatness.

Postby GJ

wheelsofsteel wrote:
GJ wrote:

Robertson was shattered on day two, hence the reason why he couldn't get going and get over the line.

he slowed up abit i agree but he got stronger near the finishing line forom what i remember and dotty got desperate and was going for everything

Postby wheelsofsteel

Caledonian Craig wrote:
GJ wrote:the robbo , selby generation are still well in their prime though so will be a big threat to ding and trump as well craig

Neil Robertson yes but Mark Selby strikes me as like Steven Maguire - always the bridesmaid never the bride. By that I mean always tipped but never quite able to take the final steps to greatness.

except when the wedding is in London :john:

Postby jojo

daviemac that my point i dont think higgins will be able to find too much of this top form you saying when players decline the first thing they do is start missing easy balls

higgins been doing that and the only reason hes winning is because of his matchplay digging in when not at his best

eventually that will catch up with him

Postby wheelsofsteel

GJ wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:
GJ wrote:

he slowed up abit i agree but he got stronger near the finishing line forom what i remember and dotty got desperate and was going for everything

Robertson won in the end but it was a dreadful final

Postby Bourne

Yeh last year was a bit of an anti-climax for several reasons, it would have been absolutely fantastic if the pair of them put on a show to put snooker in the headlines for the right reasons but neither got anywhere near their best and it just turned into a grind.

Postby wheelsofsteel

GJ wrote:wheels

for a neutral yes perhaps

as a robbo fan i was delighted

No, I'm not knocking Robertson. They were the best players in the tournament by far, but the final was woeful.

Dott made a lot of sense asking for the Saturday to be a rest day

Postby GJ

wheelsofsteel wrote:
GJ wrote:wheels

for a neutral yes perhaps

as a robbo fan i was delighted

No, I'm not knocking Robertson. They were the best players in the tournament by far, but the final was woeful.

Dott made a lot of sense asking for the Saturday to be a rest day

a rest day would be good

i think start worlds on friday then rest day on last saturday