Topic locked

Re: Betfred.Com World Championship Day 15 Discussion !!

Postby Caledonian Craig

Robertson could only beat who was in front of him. If Dott was fatigued that wasn't Robertson's fault as the tournament is a marathon and bucket loads of stamina are needed. I feel that is perhaps Dott speeded his game up this year in a bid to shorten matches.

Postby DavieMac

jojo wrote:i believe great sportspeople have luck along the way they need it

mourinhos porto goal when they knocked out man united was offside yet it was given and they went on to win the champions league and mourinho told everyone how special he is as he the european champion

boris becker the year he won his only us open title he was match point down in one of the earlier rounds played a shot the ball hit the net and just about fell over the other side he won the point came back in the match and went on to win his 4th grand slam title

with higgins i dont give a flying buck what anyone says but he was lucky against cope in 2009 when cope was about to win but the ball rolled off because of the slate otherwise higgins would have been snookered on all the reds which were open in the frame cop needed to win the match when he 12-11 and 48-0 up

ive mentioned what happened against dott but great players like higgins make the most of their opportunity

even against ronnie holy buck he lost the tactical exchange ronnie had him in trouble in that frame yet he flukes the red and before these higgins worshipping clowns say well he still had to pot the balls but they were scattered everywhere and by that i mean everywhere he landed plumb on the black all colours open reds either side of the baulk line and blue meaning he could lose position a few times there were still reds there

those were for ronnie to pot he made a century in the last frame and the way the balls were he was pretty much guaranteed to win that frame make it 12-11 as he didnt have to do anything with the cueball

and at 12-11 who knows ? momentum with ronnie anything could have happened so the fluke wasnt epidemic like some higgins worshippers want everyone to believe

he wont keep getting these crucial rubs at critical moments time is running out for him i genuinely believe williams will beat him tomorrow i cant see higgins winning unless he gets a crucial run of the ball which he goes on to take advantage of like sonny was saying

the law of averages says it wont be his turn to get a rub of the green tomorrow at the business end

'and at 12-11 who knows?'

Exactly. So Ronnie lost cause of that fluke?... even though he missed about 4 easy balls in that session. So he'd have cleared up for 12-11 and then won the next 2 miss free?... Yeah he still was in it but pull your head out your bottom.

Postby wheelsofsteel

GJ wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:
GJ wrote:wheels

for a neutral yes perhaps

as a robbo fan i was delighted

No, I'm not knocking Robertson. They were the best players in the tournament by far, but the final was woeful.

Dott made a lot of sense asking for the Saturday to be a rest day

a rest day would be good

i think start worlds on friday then rest day on last saturday

and fill the saturday with a 3rd/4th play off

Postby Bourne

Caledonian Craig wrote:Robertson could only beat who was in front of him. If Dott was fatigued that wasn't Robertson's fault as the tournament is a marathon and bucket loads of stamina are needed. I feel that is perhaps Dott speeded his game up this year in a bid to shorten matches.

Dott's VW Golf came up against a Ferrari in the quarters <ok>

Postby GJ

wheelsofsteel wrote:
GJ wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:

for a neutral yes perhaps

as a robbo fan i was delighted

No, I'm not knocking Robertson. They were the best players in the tournament by far, but the final was woeful.

Dott made a lot of sense asking for the Saturday to be a rest day

a rest day would be good

i think start worlds on friday then rest day on last saturday

and fill the saturday with a 3rd/4th play off

good idea :hatoff:

barry is innovative hopefully he will introduce that idea next year

Postby Roland

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote:Yes but Williams is the one single player out of all the professionals who will not let it bother him. Martin Gould has that about him as well but he's not as good as Mark Williams. If it goes 16-16 and Williams gets one of those long straight reds where the red is middle of the table and white is near baulk cushion, then he is just as likely to slot it in in that frame as if it was 5-5 or 10-6 or 1-10 or whatever the score is.

the biggest compliment anyone could give Mark Williams was when Stephen Hendry said if i had Mark's temperament i would have won a hell of a lot more tournament.....

What, one more?

Postby jojo

having a third fourth place playoff is as stupid as having wild cards for the crucible

what a recycling bullocks of an idea whose brainwave was that ? why would someone want to play for third place for the ranking points ? that would be unfair anyway because why should you get a chance to gain more ranking points from the tournament you just been knocked out in ? and if no ranking points awarded who the flying buck would want to play an extra match when they just been knocked out and probably feeling tired ?

some people just want to come up with ideas just for the sake of it not because of improvements what a joke

gj glad you not running snooker supporting ideas like that pal stick to changing supporting different players after every round ha

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:3rd/4th play off? bullocks! Who cares about that?

i concur

buck sakes

TBH just look at Judd Trump and Ding this match neither look knackered and look at the matches they played this season compared to the last say 10 years.

whats been missing in players is stamina well they now thank to the full on tour got that stamina.

theres no need for rest days or that bullocks.

Postby Tubberlad

jojo wrote:having a third fourth place playoff is as stupid as having wild cards for the crucible

what a recycling bullocks of an idea whose brainwave was that ? why would someone want to play for third place for the ranking points ? that would be unfair anyway because why should you get a chance to gain more ranking points from the tournament you just been knocked out in ? and if no ranking points awarded who the flying buck would want to play an extra match when they just been knocked out and probably feeling tired ?

some people just want to come up with ideas just for the sake of it not because of improvements what a joke

gj glad you not running snooker supporting ideas like that pal stick to changing supporting different players after every round ha

So you don't like the idea?

Postby Roland

Interesting what jojo says about luck and he's spot on. So many times it proves to be crucial in big events. But it's all part of the game. The only time I can remember Higgins getting unlucky was when Robbo got lucky on the black finishing tight on the cushion in the Grand Prix semi-final. But Robbo is another player who always seems to luck out. But I can remember countless times when Higgins has had a slice of good fortune but it was the same with Hendry and Davis. The winners get the good fortune, and the important thing is you remember it more because they always capitalised on the good luck that came their way. I guess that's why they're champions.

Anyway, I'm off to bed and I'm very nervous about the 10am session so I hope I sleep well and I'll see you all bright and early for what could prove to be a very important session of snooker in the life of Mark J Williams.

Postby PLtheRef

3rd and 4th PPO used to happen, - on the morning sessions of the final, playing just 6 frames, and 7 in the second, personally think it could happen. Perhaps not ranking points, but an incentive in terms of Prize money (which currently bears no influence on the main list) - at the moment £104,000 is paid out to semi-finalists, a split of £58,000-46,000 wouldnt be too bad would it? Certainly would make it competitive.

Postby vodkadiet

Forget 3rd/4th rubbish.

Williams had good running today but that was counteracted by the fact that Higgins BOHE won the close frames.

Williams played better in the 99 Championships but Hendry was on a mission that year and shut the door in his face.

Postby snooky147

Williams looks his usual calm, laid back self, whereas Higgins looks a touch nervy to me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
All views expressed are my own and not that of any player.

Postby wheelsofsteel

Sonny wrote:3rd/4th play off? tezzies! Who cares about that?

works in football World Cup - and they seem to get plenty of attention and sponsorship

Remember, this is only an idea to give players a rest day before what might be the biggest game of their lives.

Personally, I don't want to see players so knackered they can't concentrate or play to their potential which is what has happened in the past.

As for what is there to play for, eh split the money and ranking points differently. More money, more ranking points. Or is that too complicated to work out :chin:

Postby GJ

wheels

its an added thing to the rest day and it fills the rest day in so i think its a good idea

but maybe some people dont want better finals

Postby GJ

simplysnooker wrote:Not long now, although bit worried 301 will be changing to Moto GP Qualifyin t 12:50 this afternoon :(

free sat <cool> :happy:

Postby Wildey

its an added thing to the rest day and it fills the rest day in so i think its a good idea

but maybe some people dont want better finals

GJ

thats a cop out mate

Postby GJ

mate im being fair

i enjoyed last years final as a robbo fan

but neutrals seemed to dislike it

im trying to be fair and unbiased here

Postby GJ

COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

HIGGINSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS