Topic locked

Re: Betfred.Com World Championship Day 10 Discussion !!

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:http://www.snookerbacker.com/2011/04/25/crucible-day-10-stephen-hendry-to-possibly-announce-retirement-today/

Apparently some think it's real <laugh>

Hendrys comments about Hearn and the new ranking system are a joke to be honest.

Sour grapes IMO and ive kinda lost whatever grains of respect i still had for him after reading that.

The guy is in denial and has been for many years.

:td:

Postby Roland

Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:http://www.snookerbacker.com/2011/04/25/crucible-day-10-stephen-hendry-to-possibly-announce-retirement-today/

Hendrys comments about Hearn and the new ranking system are a joke to be honest.

Sour grapes IMO and ive kinda lost whatever grains of respect i still had for him after reading that.

And apparently Witz is one of them :chuckle:

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

:td:

did you read them GJ?

Hendrys only got himself to blame for his top 16 place being under threat.

he cites the points from the PTCs as being the reason but the reality is he hasnt beat anyone above him in the rankings in donkeys years and only ever wins his last 32 game. Hes simply not good enough anymore, end of story. Hes trying to paint a picture as if hes doing great in the normal rankers but the mediocrity is rising above him because of the PTC points.

Its actually a dig at the likes of Stevens to be honest <doh>

Postby Wildey

ill be surprised if Hendry anounces it today but i have no doubt today will be his last crucible apearance not because hes not good enough i have no doubt if he wants to qualify he will be back to the crucible next year but he doesent want to do that.

today its like passing the batton to the next generation of snooker century machine in this match..

ok forget the first part of Selbys career since 2007 only 6 years hes made about 130 centuries thats right up there with the top players in breakbuilding.

all he needs to be a multi champion is consistancy everything else is there for him to start dominating the next 5 to 10 years.

Postby wheelsofsteel

Witz78 wrote:

Think you will find there are a number of players who are questioning the points being awarded.

There is a fundamental flaw where someone could be world No.1 but has never won a tournament on TV

That said, Hendry knew the rules and has done little to protect his position

Although to be honest, asking him to play in PTC tournaments would be like Frank Sinatra being asked to do a Thursday night at the Philharmonic Club in Blackpool
Last edited by wheelsofsteel on 25 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:to many quality players around mate for selby to dominate

not really

if you good enough you will dominate.

i think selby is that good if he gets consistancy...

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:

not really

When you say dominate, care to elaborate ?

Postby Wildey

Lets not forget during Hendrys Dominance Parrott won 9 Rankers so other players can chip in and win plenty of tournaments Dominating doesent meen winning everything.

Postby GJ

Selby is a quality player

But i cant see a player who has been a pro for 11 years and won 1 ranking title

now all of a sudden dominating the game

especially when you have so many other top players around

no chance mate

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

not really

When you say dominate, care to elaborate ?

Take 1989/1990 through to 1996/1997

Hendry won 26 Ranking Titles
Hendry did not win 49 Ranking Titles.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

GJ wrote:Selby is a quality player

no chance mate

Spot on mate :hatoff:

no one can dominate the modern game, I thought you would know better Wild.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

no chance mate

i happen to think thats a load of bullocks and a convenient excuse to try and justify why nobody can.

if you good enough you will.

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

no chance mate

i happen to think thats a load of bullocks and a convenient excuse to try and justify why nobody can.

robbo and ding have as much as selby then

robbo has 6 ranking titles in last 5 seasons thats as much as anyone bar higgins

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

no chance mate

i happen to think thats a load of balls and a convenient excuse to try and justify why nobody can.

What makes you think Selby is the one? Because he played one brilliant match at the Crucible? You got to be kidding me. He isn't even the world no. 1. He didnt win a ranker this or last season. He played brilliant before, but he won't dominate there are far to many players on the same level.
The one player closest to dominating is Higgins but even he isn't.

Postby randam05

Boring afternoon of snooker really, as selby will win one of two first frames to win in a flash, where higgins will come out playing his C game instead of D and win the first three frames of what is a dull match to win quickly too. Nothing exciting here and without the morning session i have felt lost!

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:
Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

no chance mate

robbo and ding have as much as selby then

robbo has 6 ranking titles in last 5 seasons thats as much as anyone bar higgins

i think both Robbo andDing could have but they drift in and out of form to regularly .

look at Ding first match then look at him yesterday nobody can dominate with that inconsistancies Robbo is the same.....

if they could aply themselves why not dominate.

im not saying selby will dominate because hes the same just drifts in and out of form Hendry lost 49 ranking titles during his dominance because keeping to that consistencies is impossible but when he found consistency he kept it going longer than for whatever reason today's players do.

i think a major reason for that is this mindset of ohhh well ive won a tournament nobody can dominate so its ok if i dont win the next.

John Higgins if he wins this tournament has dominated this season.

so who said you cant dominate ?

Postby GJ

randam05 wrote:

Thats why I am wondering why even if he wins this tournament he still wont be no.1!!!!?

Because his 2009 points dropped off when he won the worlds

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:

Thats why I am wondering why even if he wins this tournament he still wont be no.1!!!!?

well he missed 2 ranking titles did not get the minimum points 1,785 for them then he had to pull out of germany in the last 16.

the only ranking tournament hes lost in was china

plus players was winning ranking points left right and center in 10 PTC Before he got his cue out

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:Wild

if you want to talk about players potentially dominating, then theres one stand out candidate for me.

Judd Trump, hes only 21 so he has plenty of time on his side to truly dominate for a lengthy period of time. :win:

Amazing how people were writing him off as little as a month ago, at 21 <laugh>

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:wild

fair points mate

you know on the BBC when Parrot,Murphy,Ebbo and Hendry sitting on thoes boxes discussing players.

when talking of Maguire Hendry said he has other things in his life and doesent want to live snooker 24/7 thats the case for so many players and thats why consistancies not there.

Hendry and Davis lived and breathed snooker 24/7 to find that dominance they had

a 20 something Hendry would be first in the Q For the PTC but now as a 40 year old father of 2 his priorties has changed.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild the differences between the Hendry 90s and now:

Hendry won all the important tournament, especially the World Championship numerious times in a row, nowadays (last 15 years) no World Champion defended his title even once nevermind twice in a row.

The standard of play improved massively, nowadays we have about 12 players who a really capable of winning a tournament. In this years quarters (if Ding wins) all the players could really win the title. Unthinkable at that time.

Nobody is/was capable of winning three ranking tournaments in one season for a long, long time.

Also you said something about Selby dominating for about 5 to 10 years. you know that Selby is about to turn 28 and even the greatest of all time (Selby is not one of them) start to decline in their mid 30s.

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
GJ wrote:wild

fair points mate

you know on the BBC when Parrot,Murphy,Ebbo and Hendry sitting on thoes boxes discussing players.

when talking of Maguire Hendry said he has other things in his life and doesent want to live snooker 24/7 thats the case for so many players and thats why consistancies not there.

Hendry and Davis lived and breathed snooker 24/7 to find that dominance they had

a 20 something Hendry would be first in the Q For the PTC but now as a 40 year old father of 2 his priorties has changed.

robbo said he will be comiting to far more events next seaosn as he said it was hard to play them all this season due to being world champion and other committments like becoming a dad

he will be more committed to snooker next season <ok>

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Wild the differences between the Hendry 90s and now:

Hendry won all the important tournament, especially the World Championship numerious times in a row, nowadays (last 15 years) no World Champion defended his title even once nevermind twice in a row.

The standard of play improved massively, nowadays we have about 12 players who a really capable of winning a tournament. In this years quarters (if Ding wins) all the players could really win the title. Unthinkable at that time.

Nobody is/was capable of winning three ranking tournaments in one season for a long, long time.

Also you said something about Selby dominating for about 5 to 10 years. you know that Selby is about to turn 28 and even the greatest of all time (Selby is not one of them) start to decline in their mid 30s.

nobody doing it means nobody been good enough to do it you cant look at becouse nobody done it it cant be done.

of course it could be done Higgins could win 3 rankers on monday and only played in 4.

Postby GJ

This has to be the elast exciting worldssession in a long time

2 matches already over basically

a shame it wasnt one of these + 1 of the 2 evening matches now

bring on the quarters