Topic locked

Re: carrying on for snookers

Postby Smart

GJ wrote:I think alot of people have missed the bigger picture here

Selby knows he had the match in the bag and what he did in the circumstances was make hendo look rather silly and given its likely to be hendos final crucible match it was in bad taste by selby.

Normally i wouldnt be against carrying on for a few snookers but blackening hendos final appearance shows selby lacks that extra bit of class

hendo :hatoff:

well said GJ, it left a bad taste that final frame....................it was certainly not a very nice moment on perhaps Hendos final visit to Sheffield <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:I thought today it was MASSIVE disrespect to Hendo. Lets get the perspective right here.

Hendo is probably in his last Crucible appearance

Hendo is trailing 11-4

Selby is knocking in tons for fun

Its the last frame of the session

Selby needs 5 snookers(??????) and carries on.

IS THIS HOW A 7 TIME CHAMP SHOULD BE TREATED.......?

I think Selby has somewhat been more of a C U Next Tuesday than he wanted to. For me that was distasteful viewing......totally disrespectul.

Selby :blush: :grrr: :blush: :grrr:

I would see it another way. Hendry is trailing 11-4, but Selby comes back to the table needing snookers, and tries to win. That shows me Selby shows respect to his opponent, not the opposite. If Selby, at 11-4 up, still tries that hard against an opponent it shows me he hasn't taken his foot of the pedal. He still thinks that if it goes 11-5 in his favour, Hendry still has a chance to win. If he'd have just gone; "Aaah buck it, I'm going to win anyway" and let Hendry do what he wants, that's disrespect.

Treating your opponent as a potential match winner, even when they're 11-4 down isn't.

Postby GJ

simple fan

:? :td:

rexy

:hatoff:

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:

Selby knows he had the match in the bag and what he did in the circumstances was make hendo look rather silly and given its likely to be hendos final crucible match it was in bad taste by selby.

Normally i wouldnt be against carrying on for a few snookers but blackening hendos final appearance shows selby lacks that extra bit of class

well said GJ, it left a bad taste that final frame....................it was certainly not a very nice moment on perhaps Hendos final visit to Sheffield <ok>

i dont see it like that at all.

thinking ive got the match in the bag i wont bother trying for snookers would be more disrespectfull.

the fact he tried to get thoes points to win virtually a dead frame tells me how much respect he has of Hendry.

the balls was so perfect for snookers it was not a case of playing on for the hell of it, it would be harder to not get snooker than it would to get snooker.

Stephen Hendry wouldnt want a player to feel sorry for him without trying his best to win a winable frame i know for a fact Hendry wouldnt give a rubbish about Mark Selby if the shoe was on the other foot although trying for 4 snookers would not be a scenario Hendry would go for.

Postby wheelsofsteel

Utter rubbish

It will have been like water off a ducks back to Hendry who will have seen and witnessed every scenario during his career

He knows the rules, he knows the game, and sadly he was found lacking yesterday against a player who was actually playing the kind of snooker Hendry was once famed for

Postby onlyevertonjon

Some absolute utter testicles been written here.

Let Hendry have the frame because it might be his last appearance?? If it is his last appearance that is Hendry's decision, not Selby's and Selby has to win every frame he can. The quicker the match is out the way the better for Selby's chance to win the whole thing. If it was 11-5 and Hendry won the first mini session 3-1, Selby then has to go into the very final mini session of the match!

I think if it is Hendry's last performance that its kind of a good symmetry that the most ruthless player the game has ever seen has been beaten ruthlessly!

I do agree with casey that Selby shouldn't have touched him though.

Postby wheelsofsteel

Sonny wrote:I agree too but he meant no harm in it

GET REAL ...

we had Hendry laughing off Ronnie's comments a few years back about sending him up the motorway to his sad life, I doubt if he will be upset at Selby touching him. He isn't royalty!

Hendry likes the way Selby plays which is why he made him one of his favourites for the title along with Higgins, Williams and Ding

Next thing will be Hendry doesn't have toilet breaks because he doesn't poo as he is a God :mood:

Postby Roland

Well yeah everyone knows what Selby is like with the banter factor

Postby GJ

wheelsofsteel wrote:
Sonny wrote:I agree too but he meant no harm in it

GET REAL ...

we had Hendry laughing off Ronnie's comments a few years back about sending him up the motorway to his sad life, I doubt if he will be upset at Selby touching him. He isn't royalty!

Hendry likes the way Selby plays which is why he made him one of his favourites for the title along with Higgins, Williams and Ding

Next thing will be Hendry doesn't have toilet breaks because he doesn't poo as he is a God :mood:

your in top form today stuey boy

Postby GJ

wheelsofsteel wrote:GJ if it pleases you, what ever

Go back to tending your Robertson Memorial Garden

yes mr

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Well yeah everyone knows what Selby is like with the banter factor

there was time during yesterday where hendry would take the banter in good spirits but after hendry made back to back 70s and thinking yes another chance only to find it wasn't was not a good time to joke about some run of the balls. <laugh>

sometime selby takes bantering that one step to far yesterday i felt he did but no harm intended.

Postby The Cueist

Smart wrote:

:D Smart :D

Well said,But Selby has got a brass neck,Typical midlander,No class whatsoever.

I personally cannot stick Selby,Though he is a great exponent of the game of snooker.

Having said that,When you are 11 -4 up in a match,You may as well have a go at 5 snookers as the cloths and pockets on these tables are unpredictable,So are the cushions.

Im not dissing that,As it provides real drama and uncertainty.

One thing is for sure,If Selby had been 11-4 down and needing 5 snookers he would have been lucky to get 2 out the five before Hendry potted up .

The moral of the tale is this,Selby is a chancer who has taken liberties,Im sure the so called snooker gods will even his luck up. ;-)

Postby The Cueist

Smart wrote:

:D Smart :D

Well said,But Selby has got a brass neck,Typical midlander,No class whatsoever.

I personally cannot stick Selby,Though he is a great exponent of the game of snooker.

Having said that,When you are 11 -4 up in a match,You may as well have a go at 5 snookers as the cloths and pockets on these tables are unpredictable,So are the cushions.

Im not dissing that,As it provides real drama and uncertainty.

One thing is for sure,If Selby had been 11-4 down and needing 5 snookers he would have been lucky to get 2 out the five before Hendry potted up .

The moral of the tale is this,Selby is a chancer who has taken liberties,Im sure the so called snooker gods will even his luck up. ;-)

Postby Smart

Cueist <ok>

I just felt it was not in keeping with the general tone of Hendos pending retirement and the state of the match. Was it necessary to go to that extreme......? Was Hendo that much of a threat really.......? Did he deserve to have that sort of humiliation on his perhaps last Crucible visit......?

I think not, but perhaps I am being hard on the midlander RAC. :win: :wave: <ok>

Postby gallantrabbit

Smart wrote:I thought today it was MASSIVE disrespect to Hendo. Lets get the perspective right here.

Hendo is probably in his last Crucible appearance

Hendo is trailing 11-4

Selby is knocking in tons for fun

Its the last frame of the session

Selby needs 5 snookers(??????) and carries on.

IS THIS HOW A 7 TIME CHAMP SHOULD BE TREATED.......?

I think Selby has somewhat been more of a C U Next Tuesday than he wanted to. For me that was distasteful viewing......totally disrespectul.

Selby :blush: :grrr: :blush: :grrr:

I would say exactly the opposite. BIG respect for Hendry and what ten years ago he might have been capable of doing, ie turning the game round. Selby is terrific and maybe this is finally his year cos he's playing some sweet match snooker

Postby Bourne

Eh I didn't see this last night but saw highlights today, are people seriously angry at Selby for wanting to win every frame he possibly could rofl I don't confess to being a fan of his but jeez I respect his attitude a lot and he's been far and away the player of the tournament so far.

Postby Smart

Bourne wrote:Eh I didn't see this last night but saw highlights today, are people seriously angry at Selby for wanting to win every frame he possibly could rofl I don't confess to being a fan of his but jeez I respect his attitude a lot and he's been far and away the player of the tournament so far.

Better to comment having seen it LIVE. <ok>

Postby GJ

Smart wrote:
Bourne wrote:Eh I didn't see this last night but saw highlights today, are people seriously angry at Selby for wanting to win every frame he possibly could rofl I don't confess to being a fan of his but jeez I respect his attitude a lot and he's been far and away the player of the tournament so far.

Postby Smart

GJ wrote:
Smart wrote: