Topic locked

Ding a great in waiting

Postby Casey

I think back 10 years ago and the players at that time. The ‘big 4’ were dominating the game and all were considered ‘greats’. This brings me to Ding, who at 23 years of age has already 3 major titles to his name. So if Ding wins the WC this year will he also enter the great category?

Some might say it’s too early for this, however Williams, Ronnie and Higgins were giving this tag by most after their WC win to go along with other major titles. Ding made 100 centuries in 5 seasons, with only 7 or 8 tournaments to play in. This is an amazing feat that will take some beating.

Others like Doherty, Parrott and Ebdon are currently ahead of Ding but if he were to add the WC his career achievements would by far surpass these players. So what’s your thoughts, is Ding the next all time great of the game?

Re: Ding a great in waiting

Postby Wildey

i dont think you can look ahead and say a player will become a true great it just happens.

one day looking back you say god hes a great but to achieve it they got to do it.

Postby DavieMac

Im not sure i'd put him in that bracket just yet but he is a class player and i fancy him to be there or thereabouts this year.

Postby Bourne

When (not if) he wins a World title, the people that are doubting his credentials right now will feel like absolute tits. Yes I agree he has to win a World title to really deserve these plaudits BUT we're talking about a guy at 23 who was the first of a new generation of Chinese players to come over, already won three majors and apparently has no temperament. He's a joke of a player <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

He's a great snooker player. The best to arrive on the scene since the big four :hatoff:

Postby andreiolay212

Speaking hypothetically if Ding did win the World title this year, the next 2 years would be the most important if he was going to enter the 'Great Category' by the time he is in his late 20s, if he could dominate the game and keep his position at No 1 for years: then you would have to say he is a great. But out of the young players ( 20-26) no one matches his all round game, so there is no doubt that he does have the ability to be a Legend.

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:He's a great snooker player. The best to arrive on the scene since the big four :hatoff:

break-building wise i think he will become the 5th man to get over 300 centuries but there's more to being a great than that only time will tell how great he can become.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:He's a great snooker player. The best to arrive on the scene since the big four :hatoff:

break-building wise i think he will become the 5th man to get over 300 centuries but there's more to being a great than that only time will tell how great he can become.

:hatoff: