Topic locked

Best match of R1 ?

Poll ended at 28 Apr 2011

Trump 10-8 Robertson
10
53%
Gould 10-8 Fu
2
11%
Bingham 10-8 Ebdon
0
No votes
Hendry 10-9 Perry
2
11%
Allen 10-9 Stevens
5
26%
Hawkins 10-9 Maguire
0
No votes
Other
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 19

World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby Bourne

We've almost completed the first round of the 2011 World Championships with just Higgins vs Lee and Selby vs Robertson to be completed today, and barring two stirring and unlikely comebacks, we can look at the other 14 matches for the stand-out spectacle. Above is a poll of 6 matches which you can vote on, or choose other, but please state which ! Don't vote for which match you liked the result just vote for which match was the most enthralling, interesting, exciting. :hatoff:

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby GJ

wheelsofsteel wrote:
GJ wrote:gouldy v fu


a vote for his favourite player again :blush:



shame about 110 going bust any NEW jobs lined up mate

:hatoff:

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby Wildey

for me without a doubt Allen v Stevens

Had Everything i Love about a Crucible Match even A Player self distructing and Collapsing with every miss pot and Frame and even Lauren There to see her Daddy Win 29 years after another Lauren saw her Daddy win.

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:
GJ wrote:gouldy v fu


a vote for his favourite player again :blush:



shame about 110 going bust any NEW jobs lined up mate

:hatoff:

rofl

you crack me up <laugh>

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby GJ

sorry at 9-7 and stevens missing everything it was inevitable allen would win

so how could it be so exciting when the result was NID

Gouldy v fu could have went either way it was the best

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby jojo

so far in terms of all round quality entertainment and close finish it easily robertson v trump

the other matches have been gripping in terms of drama but awful quality throughout generally speaking

fu made some nice breaks as did hendry hawkins probably played the most perfect frame seen at the crucible this year in the decider but other than that low quality this year in nearly all the close matches

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby GJ

jojo wrote:so far in terms of all round quality entertainment and close finish it easily robertson v trump

the other matches have been gripping in terms of drama but awful quality throughout generally speaking

fu made some nice breaks as did hendry hawkins probably played the most perfect frame seen at the crucible this year in the decider but other than that low quality this year in nearly all the close matches



Good points
:hatoff:


its frustrating how easy most of the other draws would have been for robbo looking at some of the qualifiers and he does tend to get better and start slowly

a real gulf between the best and worst qualifiers :-(

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby jojo

robertson had the worst draw he could have had but some would say he had a relatively kind draw last year

anyway what your opinions of matthew stevens now after last night ? kostasmas has divorced him got rid of him like a shot even before the need for a trial seperation and i would have done the same if i was in his position

i think you should stick to supporting neil roberston as an aussie stevens doesnt deserve to have loyal fans like you that man is a complete let down he just never ever learns from the same mistakes he makes time and time again that what annoy me so much with him

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby GJ

jojo wrote:robertson had the worst draw he could have had but some would say he had a relatively kind draw last year

anyway what your opinions of matthew stevens now after last night ? kostasmas has divorced him got rid of him like a shot even before the need for a trial seperation and i would have done the same if i was in his position

i think you should stick to supporting neil roberston as an aussie stevens doesnt deserve to have loyal fans like you that man is a complete let down he just never ever learns from the same mistakes he makes time and time again that what annoy me so much with him



mate to be honest when it wnet 9-7 i saw teh signs and knew allen woudl win

im beyond being gutted with stevens because as you say he never learns

Im getting more and more being a fan of gouldy though class player who unlike stevens learns from his mistakes

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby jojo

who you think is going to win out of gould and trump ?

i think it will be a fast match as both have very similar games however if trump wins playing well i dont think you can read too much into the match as he playing a style of player that suits his game unless of course the match is really really close and goes all the way we can learn more about trumps bottle

i give gould a chance but i think trump will win it by a few frames

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby GJ

jojo wrote:who you think is going to win out of gould and trump ?

i think it will be a fast match as both have very similar games however if trump wins playing well i dont think you can read too much into the match as he playing a style of player that suits his game unless of course the match is really really close and goes all the way we can learn more about trumps bottle

i give gould a chance but i think trump will win it by a few frames



Tough call mate toss of a coin IMO

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby Bourne

Anyone who accuses me of being a fanboy needs to look at this thread lol Trump's win is leading the poll but I didn't vote for it because first and foremost i'm a fan of the sport and the drama of it and I felt the Allen match had more <ok>

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby GJ

I will be honest i have thoroughly enjoyed the first part of th worlds

Despite my favourite player losing on day 1 its been really enjoyable since then

hopefully more quality snooker to come

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby Wildey

high quality does not equal great match for me ....

sometimes you get a decider one player gets in frame over....

i want bad shots,poor play and tension in close matches and i got that last night.

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:high quality does not equal great match for me ....

sometimes you get a decider one player gets in frame over....

i want bad shots,poor play and tension in close matches and i got that last night.



:-)

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:high quality does not equal great match for me ....

sometimes you get a decider one player gets in frame over....

i want bad shots,poor play and tension in close matches and i got that last night.

Spot on and despite what GJ tries to say it was in doubt until Mark's last break because he was missing as many balls as Stevens was

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:high quality does not equal great match for me ....

sometimes you get a decider one player gets in frame over....

i want bad shots,poor play and tension in close matches and i got that last night.

Spot on and despite what GJ tries to say it was in doubt until Mark's last break because he was missing as many balls as Stevens was



but mark was showing some fight in last 3 frames stevens looked gone

mark only missed tricky pots in decider

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby Smart

Bourne wrote:Allen vs Stevens for me just pipped the Trump match.


For excitement those 2 matches were gripping. I voted the Trump match based on the hype that it lived up to and more. I thoroughly enjoyed ROS match but it was one-sided so not a real match in effect.

I loved the Allen/Stevens match for the atmosphere at the end and the absolute choke-fest it became. :win: :wave: <ok>

Re: World Championships 2011: Best match of R1 ?

Postby Bourne

I struggled to enjoy that match to it's full potential I felt absolutely sick towards the end especially at 6-7 but now I can look back on it and smile.


   

cron