Topic locked

Re: Betfred.Com World Championship Day 5 Discussion !!

Postby randam05

Alex0paul WC wrote:Drama and tension of a late night decider finish, whether between Wallace and Lawler or O'Sullivan and Selby, for me always beats the monotony of dull 60+ break frame after frame walkovers.

Couldnt agree more :)

Postby PLtheRef

Tubberlad wrote:I should be disappointed for Stevens, but I'm not. Allen's win tonight with his daughter watching was quite touching, and I'm happy for the guy. Stevens is quite simply a lazy waste of talent who hasn't got the bottle to battle with the best.

I would say that Matthew is becoming less feared, I mean when he dropped out of the 16 everyone would claim him the sure fire bet to return to the top 16, when he drew Higgins in 2008, everyone felt him nailed on to run John close, and he lost 10-5. Hes not been in the top 16 since, and though he's a hard draw, more and more players would fancy their chances against him.

Postby Tubberlad

randam05 wrote:
Alex0paul WC wrote:Drama and tension of a late night decider finish, whether between Wallace and Lawler or O'Sullivan and Selby, for me always beats the monotony of dull 60+ break frame after frame walkovers.

I agree to an extent, but the quality was annoyingly rubbish. Did ye see the first frame of that session? It was turgid, there's nothing more annoying than a plethora of missed potts that should be put away by players of this callibre. If it was a late night dramatic safety exchange, then I'm all for that, but this wasn't.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:right time for me to get packing ahead of the 6am departure for Sheffield tomorrow

ill enjoy the nightclubs and do plenty of dancing for you Snookerfan

ill put a good word in for you Stalin with that 7 foot tall German :limp

and ill boo the parakeet for you jojo

see you June 13th folks

what will you do for me ??? <laugh>

Postby Monique

randam05 wrote:

Go to the club and watch the veterans battling it through then. They can't pot a ball for their lives but there is plenty of drama, tension and passion.
This is the World Championship and I expect to watch some skills on display.

Postby Tubberlad

Monique wrote:
randam05 wrote:

Go to the club and watch the veterans battling it through then. They can't pot a ball for their lives but there is plenty of drama, tension and passion.

Here, here. Read my post above :hatoff: one thing for drama, but this wasn't drama. It was turgid and a game that was put out of it's misery by Mark Allen.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Monique wrote:
randam05 wrote:

Monique 1 - Alex 0 (Best of 3)

Postby wheelsofsteel

randam05 wrote:

We've had this discussion before and the drama in snooker comes when players technique and nerve goes.

Very, very rarely do you get an exciting match based around two players who just don't miss

Postby Alex0paul

Monique wrote:
randam05 wrote:

That was pure emotion out there. You can't get involved in a match where someone just runs away with it. Stevens had to deal with the Crucible ghosts of his past as Allen came back whereas Mark has had such turmoil in his private life to fight with.

How anyone can excited by frame after frame of 60+ breaks is beyond me. Its like watching a football match where a team goes 2-0 up early and then just sees it out.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Alex0paul WC wrote:
Monique wrote:
randam05 wrote:

That was pure emotion out there. You can't get involved in a match where someone just runs away with it. Stevens had to deal with the Crucible ghosts of his past as Allen came back whereas Mark has had such turmoil in his private life to fight with.

How anyone can excited by frame after frame of 60+ breaks is beyond me. Its like watching a football match where a team goes 2-0 up early and then just sees it out.

Monique 1 - 1 Alex (deciding argument coming up)

Postby simplysnooker

Agree Alex, if I had to choose between a 10-1 and a 10-9 it'd be 10-9 all day. What a championship so far though. Some nail-biting games and only in Round 1: Robbo/Trump, Fu/Gould, Maguire/Hawkins, Ebdon/Bingham, Allen/Stevens and Hendry/Perry.

Postby Monique

Alex, it was plain dreadful. Full stop. I wasn't excited. I was exasperated.
There was drama aplenty in the Masters 2009 and 2010, but there was plenty of quality as well. There wasn't any quality in this match. What I saw is a guy who didn't want to be there for the most part of the match - and I'm not blaming Mark, depression is a very debilitating condition - battling against an opponent who looked as if he was trying to lose on purpose - which I'm sure he wasn't.

Postby wheelsofsteel

Monique wrote:Alex, it was plain dreadful. Full stop. I wasn't excited. I was exasperated.
There was drama aplenty in the Masters 2009 and 2010, but there was plenty of quality as well. There wasn't any quality in this match. What I saw is a guy who didn't want to be there for the most part of the match - and I'm not blaming Mark, depression is a very debilitating condition - battling against an opponent who looked as if he was trying to lose on purpose - which I'm sure he wasn't.

Mazzer will be making note of that last line as we speak

Postby Alex0paul

Monique wrote:Alex, it was plain dreadful. Full stop. I wasn't excited. I was exasperated.

But for someone who didn't want to be there to find some fight inside of him and competitive instinct to get over the line is a story in itself. You would probably have thought the 85 final was boring and exasperating <laugh>

Postby wheelsofsteel

Alex0paul WC wrote:

But for someone who didn't want to be there to find some fight inside of him and competitive instinct to get over the line is a story in itself. You would probably have thought the 85 final was boring and exasperating <laugh>

I have only thought the 1985 final was boring and exasperating since 1986

Postby randam05

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
randam05 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:As I didn't see the whole match, how many chances bottled Stevens?

Too many.

rofl

Lets put it this way, Im sure theres people on here with the nerve to clinch that match. He was only one pink away which he refused! then some other sort of long pots that would have secured it missed by a mile!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Great interview by Allen on World Snooker: http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 12,00.html

"At 9-6 down I was so close to smashing the pack up from the break - I actually changed my mind on my backswing," said 24-year-old Allen. "From somewhere I found a century break, and that spurred me on. I potted a great pink to go 9-8 and after that I knew I would get chances because Matthew was missing a few under pressure.

"It doesn't get better than winning a final frame decider in front of a packed house at the Crucible with your little girl in your front row. It was just great to have her there win or lose, because that's what's important in life. I didn't want to let her down. I think I scared her when I shouted (in celebration) at the end so I will have to buy her some presents tomorrow!

"The last few months have been hard on and off the table. Since the German Masters, I could count the number of times I've picked up my cue on one hand. I had no interest in the game and snooker was the last thing on my mind. But I am a fighter on and off the table.

Postby jojo

this match was one dimensional in the sense that there was hardly any tactical bouts so yes i agree a lot with what monique been saying players just getting in missing then in again and missing again the standard was awful throughout

and im not having a go at allen because i know hes suffering and snooker not the be all and end all in life or stevens to an extent because we know what pressure can do to people

so i wouldnt call it one of the best matches ive ever seen at the crucible there have been plenty of matches at the crucible which have seen deciding frames that have had a bit of everything ie high breaks misses great tactical play tension comebacks drama

this match just had two players rarely playing safety or having a good old tactical bout just getting in amongst the balls from the other persons mistake then keep missing until someone eventually got over the line in each frame and it was like that for pretty much all the frames bar two or three

Postby vodkadiet

NedB-H wrote:Who cares about Allen and Stevens, todays big news is Walden's sore loser act...

Exactly. Blaming your opponent for your pathetic play.

It has been a day of choking. Fu played an early cameo part, Walden then took centre stage for quite a while, and finally Stevens, not wanting to be outdone by the wannabe serial chokers, hijacked the whole script to play the lead role, yet again!!

How long will it take for the Carmarthen to recover from this? He will probably be in his 40s by the time he does.

We need a 'choker' smiley.

Steve Davis keeps rambling on about the standard going through the roof, despite the fact there have been some dreadful snooker so far in this event, and all this, despite the ease of the tables in this era.

Davis must be referring to the roof on a bungalow!

Davis :emb: