Topic locked

O'Sullivan vs Murphy - who reaches the last-eight ?

Poll ended at 23 Apr 2011

Ronnie O'Sullivan
50%
Shaun Murphy
50%

Total votes : 20

Re: World Championships 2011: R2 - O'Sullivan vs Murphy

Postby snooky147

This is a tough one to call. While Ronnie was excellent against Dale, it was only one match in what will be a long recovery process for him. Who knows how he will react to having a bad session and I dont remember a time, even when he was playing well that he did not have at least one stinker of a session, that's not a criticism of him, all the players have them but he tends to react worse than most and in his current state of mind, well who knows. I hope it is a Crucible Classic, whoever wins.

Postby SnookerFan

snooky147 wrote:This is a tough one to call. While Ronnie was excellent against Dale, it was only one match in what will be a long recovery process for him. Who knows how he will react to having a bad session and I dont remember a time, even when he was playing well that he did not have at least one stinker of a session, that's not a criticism of him, all the players have them but he tends to react worse than most and in his current state of mind, well who knows. I hope it is a Crucible Classic, whoever wins.

2004, when he won the World Title. He either play very well, or he played perfectly. The quality level didn't dip below "very well".

Postby Tubberlad

Rocket_ron wrote:because im worried, im a true ronnie fan and i have to watch trough my fingers

If you were a true Ronnie fan you wouldn't consider any win against Higgins a fluke. I've never seen a player Ronnie isn't capable of hammering, let alone beating.

Postby Rocket_ron

Tubberlad wrote:
Rocket_ron wrote:because im worried, im a true ronnie fan and i have to watch trough my fingers

If you were a true Ronnie fan you wouldn't consider any win against Higgins a fluke. I've never seen a player Ronnie isn't capable of hammering, let alone beating.

sorry about the fluke comment, leave it

Postby Roderick Slyme

This could go either way. I've voted with my heart and voted for Supermurph. That being said though, whilst Murphy would be favourite on current form, I think there are a few things that give Ronnie a chance. Firstly, Murphy tends to stick to an out and out potting game, he doesn't slow things down like a Selby or an Ebdon, his playing style suits Ronnie. Secondly, Ronnie always seems to concentrate more when he is playing Murphy. Whether or not this is to do with some of the comments made by Murphy to the media, I don't know.

In any case, I think this will be an absorbing, quick-fire contest. A great match on the cards.

Postby Roderick Slyme

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Roderick Slyme wrote:I've voted with my heart and voted for Supermurph.

:hmmm:

Roderick Slyme wrote:I think there are a few things that give Ronnie a chance.

Thank god, I thought Ronnie should just sit there and watch and learn from the mighty Murphy :bowdown:

I make no apologies for the fact that Murphy is my favourite player.

I admit, the second quote of mine which you have taken issue with, is a little condescending. How about a few things in Ronnie's favour?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Roderick Slyme wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Roderick Slyme wrote:I've voted with my heart and voted for Supermurph.

:hmmm:

Roderick Slyme wrote:I think there are a few things that give Ronnie a chance.

Thank god, I thought Ronnie should just sit there and watch and learn from the mighty Murphy :bowdown:

I make no apologies for the fact that Murphy is my favourite player.

I admit, the second quote of mine which you have taken issue with, is a little condescending. How about a few things in Ronnie's favour?

That's more like it :hatoff:

Postby vodkadiet

Depeche Mode, Alison Moyet, Graham Gooch, John Terry, Terry Venables, Noel Edmonds, Jamie Oliver, Richard Madeley, Ross Kemp, Russell Brand, Girls in white shoes who never close their legs, your boy, will take, one hell of a beating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rigsby, from Monday night, the only way is Essex! :-D

Postby Tubberlad

To be fair, I'd still be pretty happy just to see the guy play reasonably competitively in this game. I'm buzzing having seen he can still pack a punch in round one, but this is a big step up.

But sod it, come on Ronnie! And if Murphy wins, I wouldn't mind seeing him having a run at the title, very nice player in full flow.

Postby John From London Town

O'Sullivan vs Murphy - who reaches the last-eight ?
Over a best of 25? I'm not sure, if I'm not sure. :chin:

On a serious note, the bits I'll be taking out of this match is a lot of what we don't see said, what they're like being sat beside each other, especially when the BIG P kicks in after balls are missed etc..... 7th & 8th frames of the first session, that kinda style, & so on....

For what this match might bring is already interesting me. For what it does actually bring.....?