Topic locked

Anyone seen the advert for the worlds yet?

Postby randam05

Saw it last night following the golf, and it sent tingles all over my body with excitement. But the advert wasnt that appealing to a non snooker watcher. Looked a bit naf and what people may think as 'typical' of snooker, which would be boring!

Anyone else see it and thoughts?

Re: Anyone seen the advert for the worlds yet?

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:Saw it last night following the golf, and it sent tingles all over my body with excitement. But the advert wasnt that appealing to a non snooker watcher. Looked a bit naf and what people may think as 'typical' of snooker, which would be boring!

Anyone else see it and thoughts?


No, I haven't. But they always do a poor job of advertising snooker. The adverts aren't that good, and tend to are very infrequently in the week leading up to the tournaments.

Poor show by the BBC. :sad:

Re: Anyone seen the advert for the worlds yet?

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
randam05 wrote:Saw it last night following the golf, and it sent tingles all over my body with excitement. But the advert wasnt that appealing to a non snooker watcher. Looked a bit naf and what people may think as 'typical' of snooker, which would be boring!

Anyone else see it and thoughts?


No, I haven't. But they always do a poor job of advertising snooker. The adverts aren't that good, and tend to are very infrequently in the week leading up to the tournaments.

Poor show by the BBC. :sad:


BBC hatah :zzz: :fart: :zzz: :fart: :zzz: :fart: :zzz: :fart:

Re: Anyone seen the advert for the worlds yet?

Postby Wildey

just out of intrest how would you advertise snooker on a trailer ?

i have not seen it so cant coment on it.

from my perspective pre 1981 i had never seen snooker let alone be a fan of it and one day i was flicking through the massive 3 channells we had at that time and i came across this green table and balls and from that moment i was hooked.

like meeting a beutifull girl and you feel nothing then you might meet her twin sister and its love at first sight you just cant explain why you fall in love or become a fan.

Re: Anyone seen the advert for the worlds yet?

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:just out of intrest how would you advertise snooker on a trailer ?

i have not seen it so cant coment on it.

from my perspective pre 1981 i had never seen snooker let alone be a fan of it and one day i was flicking through the massive 3 channells we had at that time and i came across this green table and balls and from that moment i was hooked.

like meeting a beutifull girl and you feel nothing then you might meet her twin sister and its love at first sight you just cant explain why you fall in love or become a fan.


Small things really. I've not seen the advert myself. I was watching the BBC for about an hour and a half, two hours straight on Friday night, and saw no adverts for the snooker. Okay, I know I can't expect the advert to be on every time I watch the BBC, but it might be nice if they put the advert on a lot more then the do, the most I've ever seen a snooker advert is about twice. I'd just like to see them make it a bit more regular, that'd be a start.

I remember one year as well, the advert was a lot of clips of Ronnie potting balls and them going on about how well Ronnie was playing, and the big boys will have their work cut out because Ronnie is in the tournament. It was an advert for Ronnie, not snooker. The message that gives is that it isn't worth watching the snooker, unless O'Sullivan is playing. A bit short sighted by the BBC.

I just think more could be done to advertise, especially with the worlds. More could be done to make sure people realise the significance of the fortnight. I saw plenty of adverts for The Grand National yesterday, but didn't watch it. The point is though, had I been channel surfing and seen it was on, I might have left on for a bit just to see how it was going. I think it's inhuman to treat horses that way, but with good advertising it might keep my interest if I channel surf on because it's built the Grand National up as something massive. Same could be done for snooker. They could at least try.

Re: Anyone seen the advert for the worlds yet?

Postby Wildey

without a doubt they should be more frequant that goes without saying but i was wandering what would randam like in the trailer thats not there.

its snooker there is no point having dancing girls wearing nothing much if when people tune in to watch the snooker there 2 players with eirian williams looking misrable refereing.

Re: Anyone seen the advert for the worlds yet?

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:without a doubt they should be more frequant that goes without saying but i was wandering what would randam like in the trailer thats not there.

its snooker there is no point having dancing girls wearing nothing much if when people tune in to watch the snooker there 2 players with eirian williams looking misrable refereing.


I don't think anybody is suggesting that there are women in their underwear dancing, or any silly stuff like that. But whilst you're asking somebody other then me, what I'd like to see is maybe a compilation of top quality matches condensed into several different 60-second commercials. Or maybe have different players comment on what their favourite matches were at The Crucible over the top.

I know you're not necessarily going to convey the full excitement of a 35-frame match in 60-seconds, but it would drill home the excitement that is snooker, without then need for bull. If we can remind people of, say, Ken Doherty's 2003 win over Paul Hunter. Hammer home how exciting, compelling and fascinating snooker can be. Ronnie, Hendry and other well known names could do a 60-second commercial about their favourite match at the tournament. We could be reminded of Steve's imagination capturing run at the Crucible last year. Hell, even Bourne has whipped people into a frenzy on this site by discussing Neil Robertson opening match against the China Open champion. It can't be hard to market the World Championship as the home of epic matches.

Promoting snooker with dancing girls, fireworks, drunken counters and musical ceremonies beforehand hammers home the point that snooker is a bit rubbish and needs gimmicks to add excitement. But advertising the matches as long, but excellent, might pique people's interest.

Re: Anyone seen the advert for the worlds yet?

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:ive not seen it so cant convey just how much excitement or lack of is in it.


No me neither, but if we were discussing what we would have as an advert, that would be my idea.

Re: Anyone seen the advert for the worlds yet?

Postby PatBlock

Wild wrote:its snooker there is no point having dancing girls wearing nothing much if when people tune in to watch the snooker there 2 players with eirian williams looking misrable refereing.


To go from near naked dancing girls to Eirian Williams in one short sentence is a bit much! :shock:

But seriously, don't get me on the subject of the BBC, suffice it to say I don't think they care very much for snooker these days. I listen to Five quite a lot, and I've not heard one mention of the worlds yet, sick to death of ads for F1 and Golf though.

-

Re: Anyone seen the advert for the worlds yet?

Postby SnookerFan

PatBlock wrote:
Wild wrote:its snooker there is no point having dancing girls wearing nothing much if when people tune in to watch the snooker there 2 players with eirian williams looking misrable refereing.


To go from near naked dancing girls to Eirian Williams in one short sentence is a bit much! :shock:

But seriously, don't get me on the subject of the BBC, suffice it to say I don't think they care very much for snooker these days. I listen to Five quite a lot, and I've not heard one mention of the worlds yet, sick to death of ads for F1 and Golf though.

-


Therein lies thes problem. To the BBC, snooker is just something that fills daytime TV schedules. So they have no passion for advertising it. Just look at the Michaela Tabb interview with Frank Skinner on BBC2 on Friday night. It was cut at the last minute because the BBC thought a story about a pensioner with roller skates was more interesting.
Image

But, at the same time the BBC do provide us with BBC Interactive, which is good for those of us that actually like watching the game, and is good for chosing which match to view. Which is a weakness with British Eurosport at times. So they aren't all bad.

Re: Anyone seen the advert for the worlds yet?

Postby Wildey

simplysnooker wrote:Saw it the other day, am I the only one who thought it was alright?

i just saw it now on the world snooker site.

i think it captures what its about at the crucible but a bit on the short side and ive not seen it on the TV at all which baggers the question why make a trailer if its hardly played.

Re: Anyone seen the advert for the worlds yet?

Postby jojo

theyre advertising the snooker starts on saturday at two thirty just shows you how sometimes they open themselves up to criticism

of course we the hardcore fans know the snooker starts at ten in the morning but if they advertising for the casual viewer then that not very clever as the world champion starts off at ten against the player whos just won the last ranking tournament a very hotly anticipated match

sometimes bbc i think just get your act together all they had to say was something like follow every single match live on the red button from saturday at ten then give the time it starts on bbc terrestrial tv

Re: Anyone seen the advert for the worlds yet?

Postby SnookerFan

jojo wrote:theyre advertising the snooker starts on saturday at two thirty just shows you how sometimes they open themselves up to criticism

of course we the hardcore fans know the snooker starts at ten in the morning but if they advertising for the casual viewer then that not very clever as the world champion starts off at ten against the player whos just won the last ranking tournament a very hotly anticipated match

sometimes bbc i think just get your act together all they had to say was something like follow every single match live on the red button from saturday at ten then give the time it starts on bbc terrestrial tv


Yeah, they could have added a tag line, Live Coverage from ten via Interactive. Other then that, it wasn't a bad advert. I've seen worse ones from the BBC. My real criticism is that they should hype it up a bit more then they actually do, but I guess I haven't watched much BBC at the moment, so maybe they are.