53%
Matthew Stevens
47%

Total votes : 15

Re: Mark Allen vs Matthew Stevens

Postby Tubberlad

SnookerFan wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:
Bourne wrote:I don't get this argument that a match has to be immense standard to be considered a great tbh it's misses and tension that make a match better for me because there are so many twists and turns and ups and downs and unexpected things happening that make a match instead of seeing waht you're expecting to see (pot after pot after pot). Brilliant spectacle <ok>

I wasn't in a very good mood last night <laugh> I'm in a very good mood now though because I just found white wine and the parents are away for the day

I have now 10 cans of lager cooling in the fridge. And in two hours time, I'll be on my way home. Possibly getting a KFC feast in, hoping for a few bevvies and some fried chicken with my snooker.

The girlfriend makes the most stunning pasta dishes. I could go for a bit of that for the evening session

Postby Bourne

jojo wrote:bourne that was a one dimensional match if i ever seen one in my life

no tactics no safety play no matchplay lets just try to pot and barely be able to make a 30 break even with the balls wide open it was like who can miss the fewer pots and eventually scramble over the line

yes the clearence in the first frame and the century from allen was good other than that utterly predictable

the dott ebdon final was much better in terms of drama because there was more to it than missing chance after chance after chance they played proper matchplay

If every match was one-visit stuff I wouldn't be a fan of this sport believe me, it's these matches where you see players go through hell and come back to win which makes sport exciting, Allen should have had no right to come back at 9-6 but he somehow stuck in there, even when Stevens had match-ball at 9-8 (the pink ?) Allen was still right up against it. It was great tension and drama, yes the standard was perhaps the worst of the entire round but that's what made it the spectacle <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:If every match was one-visit stuff I wouldn't be a fan of this sport believe me, it's these matches where you see players go through hell and come back to win which makes sport exciting, Allen should have had no right to come back at 9-6 but he somehow stuck in there, even when Stevens had match-ball at 9-8 (the pink ?) Allen was still right up against it. It was great tension and drama, yes the standard was perhaps the worst of the entire round but that's what made it the spectacle <ok>

There is no one thing that makes a match great. If all matches were one-stop matches, then it would get very boring very quickly. In the same way that who would care about a 147 if we had three of them in every match.

Selby vs Ding at the China Open had some very long frames, with long safety battles. Some of the frames were 50 minutes long. Which sounds very boring, but it was played to a high standard, and some of the safeties were so difficult to get out of, it made it exciting. But a 50 minute frame where people are playing poorly, missing everything and the balls run scrappy would be :zzz:

Like you say, a match where both players are playing well, but not quite well enough and start missing important balls tend to be very exciting too. What makes snooker great is that each match is a story, and a tournament is like theatre. It's the story the match tells that is exciting, not necessarily the balls potted.

Postby Bourne

4 people have voted after the match has finished <laugh> Snookerfan you did make sure the poll was meant to end 20 April 2011 not 2012 :redneck:

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:4 people have voted after the match has finished <laugh> Snookerfan you did make sure the poll was meant to end 20 April 2011 not 2012 :redneck:

I obviously forgot to specify a time limit. I'm very sorry. I know the fairness of polls on Snooker Island is the most important thing in the world.

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:
Bourne wrote:4 people have voted after the match has finished <laugh> Snookerfan you did make sure the poll was meant to end 20 April 2011 not 2012 :redneck:

I obviously forgot to specify a time limit. I'm very sorry. I know the fairness of polls on Snooker Island is the most important thing in the world.

:limp: