Who is going to win

Mark Allen
53%
Matthew Stevens
47%

Total votes : 15

Re: Mark Allen vs Matthew Stevens

Postby Bourne

Bourne wrote:Stevens vs Hawkins will be good, sponsored by the great man himself of course.

:D
EX-TER-MIN-ATE ! :afro:

Postby randam05

This was match of the first round for me <ok>

Who here still supports matthew? Surely its time to realise now, that he cant end a match? Its not as if he didnt have enough chances was it?

He played alright to get there, but not well enough to rule it out. He would have lost 10-3 or something to ronnie or murphy. He got Allen as an easy draw this year and didnt make anything of it.

Postby Roland

He can end a match, but unfortunately it seems the demons at the Crucible are terminal. He should get another shot at it though as he's well placed in the rankings but he clearly feels the pressure a lot. At 9-8 he had a great chance to polish off the match but that left handed yellow which required a hard stun was absolutely not the way to play it. When he drops them in dead weight or if the shot is easy then fair enough using the left hand but not when the intrinsic difficulty and pressure of the shot is like that.

Postby Roland

Earlier on I thought that Allen didn't even care if he won but his reaction at the end showed that he had got himself up for it by that point and what a moment with his little girl front row. That will live long in the memory.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:Earlier on I thought that Allen didn't even care if he won but his reaction at the end showed that he had got himself up for it by that point and what a moment with his little girl front row. That will live long in the memory.

It will.

This win is also bad news for Williams, yesterday it seemed he would have a fairly easy quarter Stevens/Hawkins, now there's a inspired Allen who is more up to it than ever.

Postby rebecca

What's all this about Allen at the end of the match?? Everyone saying it practically brought a tear to their eye???

Postby randam05

rebecca wrote:What's all this about Allen at the end of the match?? Everyone saying it practically brought a tear to their eye???

Did you not watch?

Postby rebecca

Nope, BBC only showed an hour, I have no red button :( And I couldn't find a live stream

Postby Bourne

Reanne and Lauren his daughter came down to sit in the front row just a few feet from the table for the last frame and Allen seemed to cheer up straight away he was pulling faces to her throughout, it was sweet.

Postby randam05

rebecca wrote:Nope, BBC only showed an hour, I have no red button :( And I couldn't find a live stream

bbc.co.uk/snooker always have a stream!

But it was such a nice moment as bourne explains. And his cheer at the end was lovely as he kissed his daughter.

Watch it here = http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 464115.stm

Postby randam05

rebecca wrote:That video and the bbc live stream are UK only >:( Shitebags

So it doesnt let you watch it!?

Postby wheelsofsteel

randam05 wrote:
rebecca wrote:That video and the bbc live stream are UK only >:( Shitebags

So it doesnt let you watch it!?

You'll find Allen v Stevens on YawnTube

Postby sundaygirl

I was disappointed that Matthew lost the frame before the mid session break but at 9-6 I thought he had won. Allen looked totally gone and I was feeling sorry for him thinking he is too good not to be in the top 16. Once Allen got one back I was very nervous and just thought here we go again.
This morning I'm surprisingly chipper nearly pleased for Mark. I will be picking a new favorite player just for the duration of the worlds when I can decide who.

Postby SnookerFan

What was with everybody last night? I came on and posted after the Stevens vs Allen match, then went to bed. This morning when I checked, everybody had been posting; "Death to Matthew Stevens!" posts. Even some of the posters I considered quite restrained were acting like Matthew Stevens was Adolf Hitler. :shock:

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Earlier on I thought that Allen didn't even care if he won but his reaction at the end showed that he had got himself up for it by that point and what a moment with his little girl front row. That will live long in the memory.

Exactly. For the best part of the second session Allen looked as if he would rather not be there and was waiting for Stevens to mercifully finish him off. Then Lauren was in the audience and that spurred him to life. All of a sudden it mattered: he wanted to win it for her.

Postby Bourne

Even a miserable old cynic who had a nice windfall with a Stevens win that was slowly frittering away like me was touched by that.

Postby wheelsofsteel

SnookerFan wrote:What was with everybody last night? I came on and posted after the Stevens vs Allen match, then went to bed. This morning when I checked, everybody had been posting; "Death to Matthew Stevens!" posts. Even some of the posters I considered quite restrained were acting like Matthew Stevens was Adolf Hitler. :shock:

Matthew Stevens was Adolf Hitler?

Surely John Higgins was Adolf Hitler?

I mean, it all went wrong in Russia ...

Postby Sickpotter

Hate to say it but Stevens has once again handed a match away. Fair play to Allen for the comeback but Stevens gifted it to him at 9-8

You'd think having given away matches in the past by attempting shots left handed he'd have spent some time practicing with the bloody rest.

As Bugs Bunny used to say.....what a maroon!!!

Postby jojo

stevens will never learn ive seen him so often for the last 14 years throw matches away playing sloppy shots instead of playing the right one the right way

i remember he threw a frame away against murphy when playing a shot with his left hand at the worlds before losing five in a row to get knocked out in the decider yesterday he made similar mistakes he ok with his left hand when he just has to roll the ball in do nothing with the cueball

who the hell does he think he is ronnie o sullivan ? oh no he bucking well aint hes matthew stevens a poor mans version of jimmy white

jimmy was just a better player with more natural talent and far less of a bottler other than that they are similar

every player has talent sure matthew has talent but he has one of the most limited games ive ever seen the same game he had when he first came onto the scene

players always learn from their mistakes and become better matchplayers with experience in matthews case he just does what he always does

Postby Tubberlad

It was a terrible game of snooker, but it has to be said that moment with his daughter in the front row was very sweet and I'm personally quite thrilled for Mark Allen. He had played like a duck, but things just seemed to matter <ok>

Top man :hatoff:

Postby Bourne

I don't get this argument that a match has to be immense standard to be considered a great tbh it's misses and tension that make a match better for me because there are so many twists and turns and ups and downs and unexpected things happening that make a match instead of seeing waht you're expecting to see (pot after pot after pot). Brilliant spectacle <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:I don't get this argument that a match has to be immense standard to be considered a great tbh it's misses and tension that make a match better for me because there are so many twists and turns and ups and downs and unexpected things happening that make a match instead of seeing waht you're expecting to see (pot after pot after pot). Brilliant spectacle <ok>

I wasn't in a very good mood last night <laugh> I'm in a very good mood now though because I just found white wine and the parents are away for the day

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:I was disappointed that Matthew lost the frame before the mid session break but at 9-6 I thought he had won. Allen looked totally gone and I was feeling sorry for him thinking he is too good not to be in the top 16. Once Allen got one back I was very nervous and just thought here we go again.
This morning I'm surprisingly chipper nearly pleased for Mark. I will be picking a new favorite player just for the duration of the worlds when I can decide who.

Rory McLeod?

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:
Bourne wrote:I don't get this argument that a match has to be immense standard to be considered a great tbh it's misses and tension that make a match better for me because there are so many twists and turns and ups and downs and unexpected things happening that make a match instead of seeing waht you're expecting to see (pot after pot after pot). Brilliant spectacle <ok>

I wasn't in a very good mood last night <laugh> I'm in a very good mood now though because I just found white wine and the parents are away for the day

I have now 10 cans of lager cooling in the fridge. And in two hours time, I'll be on my way home. Possibly getting a KFC feast in, hoping for a few bevvies and some fried chicken with my snooker.

Postby jojo

bourne that was a one dimensional match if i ever seen one in my life

no tactics no safety play no matchplay lets just try to pot and barely be able to make a 30 break even with the balls wide open it was like who can miss the fewer pots and eventually scramble over the line

yes the clearence in the first frame and the century from allen was good other than that utterly predictable

the dott ebdon final was much better in terms of drama because there was more to it than missing chance after chance after chance they played proper matchplay