Topic locked

Re: If O'Sullivan won the 2011 World Championsip ...

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:
Wild wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:Case, can I ask how John Higgins winning a World Title nine years after his first is an achievement exactly? For me, that's a surprisingly long time for a player as good as Higgins to go between winning World titles, and not an achievement at all. When people look at the ten year gap between Alex Higgins winning a world title they don't say 'wow, what am achievement'. They dwell on how his talent should have seen him win more in the interim.

good point <ok>

Disagree. The reason why there was a massive gap between Alex winning in 72 nd 82 was due to the lifestyle (which was very apparent to all) that he lead. So it was not surprising that he was not cleaning up all the titles and even less surprising that he only won the world champs twice with a 10 year gap between the 2 successes. JHs gap of 9 years is more remarkable due to his more settled lifestyle (though I think he did go on the booz e in his earlier days). That alone does not explain the 9 year gap IMO.

I would say it was case of stronger level of opposition across the board meaning that titles were being shared out more. :wave:

john higgins himself has stated he enjoyed time out with the lads getting drunk and took his career for granted for a while of course not up to the hurricanes standards of getting snake hissed lol

Re: If O'Sullivan won the 2011 World Championship ...

Postby onlyevertonjon

In a word, yes!

Depending on who he beats, I would go as far to suggest it could be the greatest achievement in snooker also.

Now do I think it will happen? No, I don't. He needed a run in China. Im not saying he needed to win the event but he could have done with him getting to the QFs.

Higgins wont scare him though and if he is that stage he may be up and running. I think he could really do with a close one against Dale to kickstart him.

Postby SnookerFan

It would certainly be a huge shock, after the way he's played. But knowing O'Sullivan's genius, I still wouldn't rule it out. He loves, and I mean loves, proving people wrong. And Tubberlad just posted a picture of pig's flying. I'd put him winning the title as a tad unlikely, but that's as far as I can go with a talent like Ronnie.

With all this talk other people do of 'saving your best form for The Crucible', is it really that impossible Ronnie will win? No.

I honestly don't think he will, and I would be surprised if he did. But, hey, you never know.

Postby Tubberlad

There's saving yourself, and then there's not winning a decent distance ranking match since last year's World Championship.

If not Murphy, then Higgins will finish him. I wouldn't write off Dale even.

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:There's saving yourself, and then there's not winning a decent distance ranking match since last year's World Championship.

If not Murphy, then Higgins will finish him. I wouldn't write off Dale even.

G'WAAAAN DALE!

:bowdown: Image

Re: If O'Sullivan won the 2011 World Championsip ...

Postby Casey

Tubberlad wrote:Case, can I ask how John Higgins winning a World Title nine years after his first is an achievement exactly? For me, that's a surprisingly long time for a player as good as Higgins to go between winning World titles, and not an achievement at all. When people look at the ten year gap between Alex Higgins winning a world title they don't say 'wow, what am achievement'. They dwell on how his talent should have seen him win more in the interim.

imo - Due to the pressure he was on to win his second. He won in 98 at 23/24 and he was touted for years as a multiple world champion but it never happened, in 2007 many would have said he was past his peak but that win has turned his whole career around.

In hindsight its not the greatest achievement in snooker, but it is certainly a noteworthy one.

Ebdon winning in 2002 was pretty amazing giving the players he had to beat....

As Jon says it will depend on who Ronnie plays to win the event. Murphy does not really cause Ronnie problems on the big stage. I reckon a QF with Higgins is a cert.

Postby PLtheRef

Tubberlad wrote:The second greatest: Ken Doherty's win in 1997 <ok>

Well to beat Davis 13-3, Robidoux 17-7 and Hendry 18-12 (already really impressive) - from 15-7 in front probably one of the most impressive displays to take it.

Postby onlyevertonjon

I think Dennis Taylor's '85 win is prehaps the greastest achievement of the Worlds. He faced a combined ranking of 12! :shock:

Maybe even Shaun Murphy's run in 2005 , where he defeated 3 world champs on his way to victory.

Could get slaughtered for this but even Paul Hunter just for turning up in 2006 and managing to win 5 frames.

Hendry's first may be as good as his last, because of his age and the fact that Jimmy had beaten Steve Davis in the semi final, the first time Davis hadn't been to the final since '82.

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote::chin:

I didn't think he'd win at this point, but part of me was flicking towards it being possible. After the way he played against Dale, and how he is about to beat Murphy playing a game that isn't even his B-game, I think Ronnie wins the tournament, to be honest.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:

I didn't think he'd win at this point, but part of me was flicking towards it being possible. After the way he played against Dale, and how he is about to beat Murphy playing a game that isn't even his B-game, I think Ronnie wins the tournament, to be honest.

:zzz:

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

:zzz:

It's not my fault nobody believes me that he's going to win.