Poll ended at 04 Apr 2011

Ronnie O'Sullivan
60%
Dominic Dale
40%

Total votes : 10

Re: World Championships 2011 R1: O'Sullivan vs Dale

Postby vodkadiet

Apparently O'Sullivan rung the WSA to withdraw last week, but then retracted it the next day. He surely hasn't got a chance of winning in Sheffield with this mentality.

Postby Tubberlad

vodkadiet wrote:Apparently O'Sullivan rung the WSA to withdraw last week, but then retracted it the next day. He surely hasn't got a chance of winning in Sheffield with this mentality.

Their seems to be a lot of optimism going around at the moment, on Friday Ebdon predicted he'd win the tournament. The thing is, I haven't seen anything to suggest he will even make the quarter-finals. I think he'll beat Dale, but considering the way Murphy played tonight, I can't see where this optimism is coming from.

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Apparently O'Sullivan rung the WSA to withdraw last week, but then retracted it the next day. He surely hasn't got a chance of winning in Sheffield with this mentality.

Their seems to be a lot of optimism going around at the moment, on Friday Ebdon predicted he'd win the tournament. The thing is, I haven't seen anything to suggest he will even make the quarter-finals. I think he'll beat Dale, but considering the way Murphy played tonight, I can't see where this optimism is coming from.

I would say optimisim is the wrong term. But Ronnie's mentality changes from day to day. Sometimes he acts like a total douche who doesn't want to play snooker. Other days he can be super up from it. On Thursday, he may well of not wanted to play snooker, whereas on Friday he was really looking forward to it. It's that extreme, and that quickly changing.

Ronne is such a natural talent, he could be off-form all season, not practice for a second all year, and turn up and win in Sheffield. It's not optimism. He probably won't win. But it's far from impossible either.

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I think playing Murphy in the Last 16 would inspire him. He always plays well against the Smurph. But he has to get there first. I don't take anything for granted anymore. Even the match against Dominic Dale is now like a final.

Agreed. If people think the Dale match is guaranteed, they might be surprised. I am gutted at working for this match. I think it could go either way.

Postby Rocket_ron

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Am I the only one rooting for a Murphy whitewash today? They're so rare at The Crucible, it'll be something to behold.

Me too, he then will be so full of himself that he already thinks he's in the quarters and underestimate Ronnie.

yes i can see murphy saying something stupid in his post match interview. thats something you cant underestimate

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I'd love a Murphy vs Dale second round game.

Same but i doubt it :-(

Not looking good, is it? I didn't see much of it, and have heard very conflicting reports suggesting Ronnie was playing poorly yet well. Dale was the better player, but was playing crap. Ronnie missed two 147 attempts.

I take it Ronnie was playing good, but missed some elementary shots?

Postby Bourne

First four frames 2-2 was definitely fair, Dale fought well, and then had about a 45 point lead in frame 5 with balls on the cushion, but then the real Ronnie stood up and never looked like losing a frame from there, big match-turner.

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:First four frames 2-2 was definitely fair, Dale fought well, and then had about a 45 point lead in frame 5 with balls on the cushion, but then the real Ronnie stood up and never looked like losing a frame from there, big match-turner.

Based on what people have said, I can really see Ronnie appearing in the final. This tournament has his name written all over, I reckon.

Postby randam05

Well unfortunately dale ran into a very good ronnie, such a shame but im glad to see ronnie back :)

How funny was dale though!? hahahah when he walked into he arena earlier on I was laughing a lot!

And how good was it to see the handshake between the two at the end? Ronnie I havent seen shake someones hand like that for a long while, so he obviously respected dale quite a lot, and as ronnie thrashed him that handshake and kind remarks from ronnie probably felt dale feel privaledged and a lot better.

Really good to see that :) Dontcha think?

Postby Bourne

In fairness he hasn't won for quite a long while so warm victory handshakes have been a rarity ... let's see if his attitude is the same after a convincing defeat to Shaun on the weekend ...

Postby Casey

Bourne wrote:In fairness he hasn't won for quite a long while so warm victory handshakes have been a rarity ... let's see if his attitude is the same after a convincing defeat to Shaun on the weekend ...

Ronnie will be well up for playing Murphy :hatoff:

Postby Witz78

Casey wrote:
Bourne wrote:In fairness he hasn't won for quite a long while so warm victory handshakes have been a rarity ... let's see if his attitude is the same after a convincing defeat to Shaun on the weekend ...

Ronnie will be well up for playing Murphy :hatoff:

if hes up for it as much as you were with them hen dos then he should win :D

Postby SnookerFan

I don't know, man. Even if Ronnie loses, it'll be far from convincing. Murphy needs to be at the top of his game to win this. Form pre-Crucible means nothing once you've got into the swing of it in this tournament. Both men will be itching to beat the other one. Whether that will gee Ronnie up, or put too much pressure on his fragile psyche remains to be seen. I think the former though.

Murphy needs to make a strong start, and keep the pressure on Ronnie all the way through, if he wants any chance of winning this match.