Topic locked

World Championships 2011 R1: N Robertson vs Trump - who reaches R2 ?

Poll ended at 16 Apr 2011

Neil Robertson
52%
Judd Trump
48%

Total votes : 23

Re: World Championships 2011 R1: N Robertson 4-5 Trump

Postby SnookerFan

So come on then. I was watching the Cope match, so didn't see much of this. What were people's verdicts? Before the match, it was being hyped as the match of the decade. Has it lived up to the hype.

It seemed to me, by reading comments that there was good and poor play by both men. Is this a fair assessment? Did Trump deserve 5-3, or was Roberston hard done by.

Can Trump hold on tonight? Or will the World Champion make a big comeback. I reckon whoever wins this has a guaranteed quarter final spot, and should really get a semi-final spot with that side of the draw. What do people think?

Postby Bourne

First four frames were poor and could easily have gone any result, finished 2-2 but Judd's 3rd frame was littered with errors but he took it with aplomb. Second half saw three centuries and an improved performance from Judd taking 2 in a row for 5-3 but Robbo's a fighter. I expect even better tonight from both men.

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:First four frames were poor and could easily have gone any result, finished 2-2 but Judd's 3rd frame was littered with errors but he took it with aplomb. Second half saw three centuries and an improved performance from Judd taking 2 in a row for 5-3 but Robbo's a fighter. I expect even better tonight from both men.

Judd did seem to be better at playing badly and winning in China. His final performance was excellent. But he played like a drain against Murphy, but still ran out a strong winner. Part of that could be put down to the fact that Shaun Murphy played so badly, he looked like what would happen if I picked up a cue and gave it a go. But even so, it was good to see from Trump.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:First four frames were poor and could easily have gone any result, finished 2-2 but Judd's 3rd frame was littered with errors but he took it with aplomb. Second half saw three centuries and an improved performance from Judd taking 2 in a row for 5-3 but Robbo's a fighter. I expect even better tonight from both men.

snookerfan

i watched it and ill be honest bourne's analysis somehow doesn't fully cover the story of the second half. :-D

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:

snookerfan

i watched it and ill be honest bourne's analysis somehow doesn't fully cover the story of the second half. :-D

Why doesn't that surprise me? <laugh>

This is how I expect analysis to go.

Wild: bucking Trump, bucking Trigger Happy sausage Judd Trump. rubbish, buck, rubbish. buck. Robertson should win.

Bourne: Marry me Judd. I want to have your babys.

Jojo: Judd Trump leads 5-3. I'm hoping that Fat Bastard is beating idiot John by more, come Monday night.

Witz: £10 on horse number 7, what is there a snooker match on?

Seifer Almsay: Neil Robertson and Judd Trump have played each other four times previously, and the head to heads show... :zzz:

The Legendary SnookerFan: I'm watching the Cope match, somebody tell me the score so I don't have to bother picking the remote up and changing the channel.

Re: World Championships 2011 R1: N Robertson 8-10 Trump

Postby Bourne

Smart wrote:any comment from GJ yet.................? :-)

Too many comments in this thread to bump tonight, from a few people in fairness. They've gone quiet which is a shame, they'd have had a lot to say if the result was different :chuckle:

Postby SnookerFan

I'd make Judd strong favourite to get into the quarter finals now. I know anything can happen on the day, and often does at Sheffield, but I see Trump knowing too much for Marco Fu or Martin Gould. (Though, I actually think Gould would give him the better match.)

Should Trump win that match, he'll have to play Graeme Dott, Ali Carter or Mark King. I doubt King will get to a quarter, so we're probably looking at Dott or Carter. Neither match is a certainty, as both have Crucible pedigree, but I think bother are winnable by young Judd. It wouldn't be the most major surprise seeing Trump in a semi. Which would've seemed unthinkable in March.

Plenty of playing time yet though, and plenty more Crucible stories to be told. Snooker = :bowdown:

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:
GJ wrote:well done judd

far to good a match for round 1 but now he IS Top 16 it wont happen again so early

Yeah, let's hope the rest of the round 1 matches are really poo. <doh>

He meant two top 16 players shouldn't be meeting in R1.

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

far to good a match for round 1 but now he IS Top 16 it wont happen again so early

i think its clear sf

should stand for

SIMPLE fan not snooker fan

Postby Bourne

GJ wrote:
Bourne wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

i think its clear sf

should stand for

SIMPLE fan not snooker fan

:redneck: :hatoff:

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:Yeah, well, I think GJ should stand for Giant Jerk. >-(

<laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

your name simon has simple goes well with simon

:hatoff: <laugh>

Postby GJ

wheelsofsteel wrote:hope Robertson cashed in as world champ

but now Barry Hearn is facing his doomsday scenario

Robertson out, Ronnie out of his tree, Higgins world champion again!

After all Barry said about him as well

ha ha :-)

Postby Caledonian Craig

A great match this was and one of those that was a shame there had to be a loser. The tournament was the reral loser as a quality player got knocked out whereas there are other First Round matches like Ricky Walden V Rory McLeod that ensures a lesser player than Trump and Robertson a place in the Second Round.

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:Really worried about the possible letdown now in R2 :chin:

1 bad omen if you believe in such things

in every mian event that a player ebat robbo , the player has lost in the enxt round

shanghai masters - ebdon lost to king in round 2

uk - murphy lost to williams in semi's

masters - allen lost to fu

welsh - dott lost to selby in quarters

china - ebdon lost to trump in quarters

and robbo said recently he is sick of players playing really well to beat him and then crumble in next round

can trump break the cycle ;-) :hatoff: