Topic locked

World Championships 2011 R1: N Robertson vs Trump - who reaches R2 ?

Poll ended at 16 Apr 2011

Neil Robertson
52%
Judd Trump
48%

Total votes : 23

Re: World Championships 2011 R1: N Robertson vs Trump

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:
Bourne wrote:No I wouldn't :chin: How can a match between the defending champ and the most exciting youngster in the game not be a standout match ? I'm talking as a neutral here, for a World Championship opener this is A+++, one of the best in the tournament's history. I wouldn't be surprised if Bazza 'ad a crafty little say in these two being drawn together <cool>

rofl rofl rofl

You say Judd Trump vs everybody is the tie of the first round. When the German Masters was on, you and Wild were arguing for a month beforehand, saying this was the best tie. Saying it was time Hendry passed the torch. Saying we'd see Stephen Hendry being schooled by the guy who was looking to improve on the quarter final appearance he got four years ago. Saying Hendry would retire after this match, as he'd be so embarrassed. <doh>

Let's face it, saying you are neutral about anything Judd Trump is almost as big a whopper as saying I only like Michaela Tabb for her refereeing skills.

I didn't say Trump vs Gould was tie of the round :? Well it actually was but I forgot the match was on :redneck: Doesn't it tell you that JT is on the way up that he's making venue after venue after venue (been to more than Ronnie this year :D ), whereas last year we never saw him apart from the PL ?!

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:I didn't say Trump vs Gould was tie of the round :? Well it actually was but I forgot the match was on :redneck: Doesn't it tell you that JT is on the way up that he's making venue after venue after venue (been to more than Ronnie this year :D ), whereas last year we never saw him apart from the PL ?!

I'll give you that. He's improved since last season, in which he did piss-all. <ok> So, he's accomplished plenty more then he did last season. If he steadily improves over the next few seasons, then he will win a ranker at some point. (And no, I'm not counting PTCs.)

I just don't see him as the exciting mega-talent that you see him as.

Postby PLtheRef

I think this is an ideal draw for Neil, playing somebody who he should beat but he knows that if he doesnt play his game then he's at risk of going out early doors - Moving onto the contest I reckon Neil will win, probably 10-6 or 10-7. Judd's got form for making a nuisance - led Murphy on his other appearance here.

The interesting thing here is that he's a slow starter, and over 25 frames it was enough. Going 6-0 down over 19 will be a tall order. - But against someone with a Crucible duck, it could be something to fight against. In the unlikely event that Judd ends up 6-3, 7-2 or 8-1 up, It'll be interesting to see how he responds more than Neil as we all know that Neil can come back. Food for thought on that is that in only 1982 when Knowles ended the first session 8-1 up did he immediately close out the match pre the interval. - 1986 Mike Hallett had Dennis Taylor climb back from 8-1 to 8-6, - Jason Ferguson let slip a 6-3 lead over Stephen Hendry so It'll be interesting to see how Judd copes with holding a lead, and a big one

Like I said, Neil should win, but if he doesnt play - and remember he's first up, then it could turn pretty grim.

Postby PLtheRef

Bourne wrote:Pads what is Robbo's record like in World Champs morning starts ?

Well the first two that come into my head..... moving on

Its in reference to kicking off the championships mainly, Saturday, Day 1

Postby Bourne

PLtheRef wrote:

:huh:

Postby randam05

Bourne wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:

:huh:

<laugh> yhh :hmm:

Postby GJ

in recent years here are the details

2007 played ryan day first session in morning and was 6-3 up

2008 played bond and robbo was 7-2 up after morning sesson on forst saturday

Postby Bourne

GJ wrote:

Interesting cheers, are they the only ones ?

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:
GJ wrote:

Interesting cheers, are they the only ones ?

they were round 1 ones

he was 6-2 down to gouldy in round 2

but another one he was 8-2 down to ronnie and won 6 in a ro win a morning session to make it 8- 8 that was in 2007

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:Its such a tough draw for Trump :sad:

Same with Allen :sad:

its all good mate doubt Stevens thinks its a barrel of laughs either :redneck:

but no point looking at round 1 thinking buck thats tough.....if they got ambition they wont care about it and say BEING IT ON!!!!

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Casey wrote:Its such a tough draw for Trump :sad:

Same with Allen :sad:

its all good mate doubt Stevens thinks its a barrel of laughs either :redneck:

but no point looking at round 1 thinking intercourse thats tough.....if they got ambition they wont care about it and say BEING IT ON!!!!

BEING IT ON

That could catch on you know :wave: