Topic locked

Re: Ages of last 32 world qualifiers

Postby Roland

What I like about Chinese players (you've probably all noticed I like a lot of them) is they play a different way to us. We know the game and think they've learnt it the wrong way and don't know the right shots, but there is method in their madness. They come from a different culture, have a different interpretation of how snooker should be played. Chinese snooker players are still in their infancy and they are getting stronger and sooner or later you're going to get players capable of perfect sessions themselves in their own way and then who will be the ones to say if they've played the right or wrong shots? But we British have still got the upper hand at the moment.

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:What I like about Chinese players (you've probably all noticed I like a lot of them) is they play a different way to us. We know the game and think they've learnt it the wrong way and don't know the right shots, but there is method in their madness. They come from a different culture, have a different interpretation of how snooker should be played. Chinese snooker players are still in their infancy and they are getting stronger and sooner or later you're going to get players capable of perfect sessions themselves in their own way and then who will be the ones to say if they've played the right or wrong shots? But we British have still got the upper hand at the moment.

I have noticed they're very distinctive in how they play the game. One thing I notice in nearly all of them with the exception of Ding is that they strike the cueball very hard... too hard in my opinion. It probably comes from different conditions back home.

I'm not a huge fan just yet of too many Chinese players, with the exception of Ding again. I think he's a cracking player, superb at cannons and just really nice to watch, a lot of talent. I like Liang too, but I just think he's a little one dimensional. They'll be plenty cracking Chinese players in years to come and that is great for the game.

Postby jojo

i think you right sonny with the global appeal but for the next batch of so called superstars we probably have to wait another five or more years

publicity and tv wise snooker was at its boom in the mid eightieties exactly when the likes of higgins o sullivan doherty williams ebdon all growing up watching a lot of snooker exposure on tv idolising the likes of jimmy white and alex higgins and we all know the standard of player from the nineties notched up mainly because of the revolutionary exposure of the mid nineteen eighties snooker was on nearly all the time on tv nearly everyone had a six foot table in their home

this kind of exposure wasnt experienced by the generation before them ie alex higgins thorburn spencer davis and a bit later white parrot hendry etc

so maybe we going through a different kind of revolutionary exposure similar to mid nineteen eighties hopefully new kids in their early teens or reaching double figures age wise watching worldwide and loving the game hoping to take it up and who knows we might see them hit the big time in five or so years much like the nineties generation who were growing up in the eighties and the standard increased a notch or two

Postby Wildey

Snooker is in fact on TV More now than it was in the 80s however the viewing habits has changed with hundred channels plus Computers and the internet so instead of a family sitting down watching a choice of 4 channels together. today theres so much more things they can watch now or do at home.

so exposing Kids to Snooker is Much harder.

Postby jojo

yes you right in real terms theres less exposure than in 80s as back then there were four channels and buck all else one tv per household now theres so many options kids got technological options coming out their baboons shiny behinds they so spoiled for choice

but i think barry hearns got the right idea great neil robertson winning the worlds but i think he could have been marketed more with his paroxide hair being an aussie and maybe hearns working on organising a ranker in australia

already since hearn returned we have quite a few tournaments in the far east so hopefully if someone like ding keep winning a lot of the far eastern kids will want to emulate him

snookers hot in brazil aswell i remember fat ronaldo the one who just retired saying a few years ago kids love playing snooker over there which i was very surprised to hear you wonder where they get their coverage from

Postby Roland

I see Liang as multi-dimensional in his thought patterns. He's a very good thinker. A lot of his shots which seem erratic, if you look at what he was thinking of you realise he's not just thrashing at everything and he has a plan. He likes to leave himself tough pots especially tight angle reds to middle and reds from the pack area into baulk pocket.

Postby GJ

he is just lacking confidence he will be back

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote: He likes to leave himself tough pots especially tight angle reds to middle and reds from the pack area into baulk pocket.

its ok to leave tough pots but ffs pot them and win matches would be good :redneck:

Postby Roland

Burnett played bloody well to beat him. Liang will be back next season, don't worry about that.

Postby Roland

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote: He likes to leave himself tough pots especially tight angle reds to middle and reds from the pack area into baulk pocket.

its ok to leave tough pots but ffs pot them and win matches would be good :redneck:

He pots the vast majority of them, that's my point.

Postby GJ

burnett is a quallies goat and an animal in those matches

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:
Wild wrote:

He pots the vast majority of them, that's my point.

mate

this season why hasn't he won if he pots the vast majority...

secret of success in snooker is to leave easy pots that way you win more.

Postby GJ

sonny

whats your gut feeling on bunrett do you think he is an honest player or what did you talk to him at all ?

Postby jojo

maybe we being a bit harsh on liang webo as shot selection always improves with age if you a top player

he will mature and learn to turn down pots be able to play decent safety in time the same goes for the likes of trump

Postby Roland

GJ wrote:sonny

whats your gut feeling on bunrett do you think he is an honest player or what did you talk to him at all ?

That's dodgy ground. I don't have an opinion. <laugh>

Postby graniteoatcake

no problem mate.... no offence taken whatsoever.... all about opinions, cheers

GJ wrote:sorry dave harold fan

its just a tounge in cheek comment about dave

sorry if i offended you or david

Postby SnookerFan

jojo wrote:yes whats happening with the investigation or was he cleared ?

Actually, yeah. Did they ever come to any conclusion yet? Or are the police's finest still drinking tea and scratching their heads.