Topic locked

Re: World Championship (Road to the Crucible) The Judgement

Postby Tubberlad

Personally, I think Stevens should go out their and play like it means nothing. I've always felt that Stevens has left matches and the enormity of matches get to him in the past, rather than just letting what happens happens. Easier said than done I know, but Steve Davis had that frame of mind and won six world titles... (1985 aside)

Postby GJ

Tubberlad wrote:Personally, I think Stevens should go out their and play like it means nothing. I've always felt that Stevens has left matches and the enormity of matches get to him in the past, rather than just letting what happens happens. Easier said than done I know, but Steve Davis had that frame of mind and won six world titles... (1985 aside)

there was match years ago where he destroyed john higgins at the crucible 13-6 i think <cool>

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:Personally, I think Stevens should go out their and play like it means nothing.

I know what you mean, but I don't think it's that simple somehow. Like you say, easier said then done. You can't teach mindset, you have it or you don't.

Postby PLtheRef

I think missing out on the Crucible focuses the mind, when Matthew dropped out of the 16, he expected to be back almost immediately, and probably was as surprised as any of us when John Higgins buried him at the last 32 stage - it makes players appreciate it more, John Parrott said that you get to a stage thinking enjoy it as it might not come around again? Matthew's taken three years to go back to Sheffield, three years too many for someone like him you may say - but if it helps him appreciate the venue more then the only thing it can do for him is act as a positive.

Postby Bourne

That's a very good point actually, whereas in the past he might have gone into the Crucible with a lot of expectation and pressure on himself as much as from anyone else, this time he can instead maybe feel like he's earnt his place there and really do himself justice instead of taking his place for granted.

Postby PLtheRef

GJ wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:Personally, I think Stevens should go out their and play like it means nothing. I've always felt that Stevens has left matches and the enormity of matches get to him in the past, rather than just letting what happens happens. Easier said than done I know, but Steve Davis had that frame of mind and won six world titles... (1985 aside)

there was match years ago where he destroyed john higgins at the crucible 13-6 i think <cool>

13-7 it was, 2002

In the year he probably should have won it, outside 2000 and 2005 - John hit 8 centuries and dropped 16 frames in three matches, 13 against Matthew showing how well Higgins played in the early rounds, and to win 13-7 against someone rampant probably more impressive than anyone else's results - given he led Ebdon, and that the year before had won by eight frames against Hendry - you had to say he would have had a real chance in the final.

Postby jojo

that semi final he had the match won against ebdon who was dead and buried in the frame stevens needed to win the match i think ebdon needed a snooker already and on top of that he potted an unbelievable pink probably a one in every five chance of getting it just to keep it at one snooker needed

he got the snooker won the frame then went on to win the decider that was truely unbelievable stuff sporting drama at its highest awesome stuff

Postby Alex0paul

PLtheRef wrote:
GJ wrote:

13-7 it was, 2002

In the year he probably should have won it, outside 2000 and 2005 - John hit 8 centuries and dropped 16 frames in three matches, 13 against Matthew showing how well Higgins played in the early rounds, and to win 13-7 against someone rampant probably more impressive than anyone else's results - given he led Ebdon, and that the year before had won by eight frames against Hendry - you had to say he would have had a real chance in the final.

He didn't choke in that match either and but for a bad contact in the final frame he would have won. Ebdon's bottle in that match was incredible.

Postby randam05

Alex0paul WC wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:
GJ wrote:

13-7 it was, 2002

He didn't choke in that match either and but for a bad contact in the final frame he would have won. Ebdon's bottle in that match was incredible.

I love to watch ebdon, really do. His bottle and how much it means to him and determination is incredible to watch. Much appreciated player by me :clap: and would love to see him have a decent run to the quarters or semis this year. Not impossible consider he hasnt got selby, ronnie, or higgins to contend with till the final.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:That's a very good point actually, whereas in the past he might have gone into the Crucible with a lot of expectation and pressure on himself as much as from anyone else, this time he can instead maybe feel like he's earnt his place there and really do himself justice instead of taking his place for granted.

one thing i do know 110% he will be going to the crucible on the back of a last 32 defeat in china :afro: <ok>

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:That's a very good point actually, whereas in the past he might have gone into the Crucible with a lot of expectation and pressure on himself as much as from anyone else, this time he can instead maybe feel like he's earnt his place there and really do himself justice instead of taking his place for granted.

one thing i do know 110% he will be going to the crucible on the back of a last 32 defeat in china :afro: <ok>

You're gona run out of luck sooner rather than later mate, you better hope it's in this event rather than the Worlds against Trump in R1 :redneck: :D

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

You're gona run out of luck sooner rather than later mate, you better hope it's in this event rather than the Worlds against Trump in R1 :redneck: :D

no luck just brilliance <ok>

good night dont let the bed bug bite :redneck:

Postby jojo

gj what time is the draw taking place on monday is there not coverage of it anywhere ?

someone said somewhere coverage going to be in betfred betting shops maybe one of our members here who gamble can post live updates on here if they seeing the draw live ?

just a thought i just hope it not corrupt like it appeared a few years ago when they did it behind closed doors and didnt make it public until a week or so later

Postby GJ

jojo wrote:gj what time is the draw taking place on monday is there not coverage of it anywhere ?

someone said somewhere coverage going to be in betfred betting shops maybe one of our members here who gamble can post live updates on here if they seeing the draw live ?

just a thought i just hope it not corrupt like it appeared a few years ago when they did it behind closed doors and didnt make it public until a week or so later

10.45 am mate