Topic locked

Re: This Royal Wedding Problem...

Postby Bourne

Casey wrote:
Sonny wrote:Forget about the Royal Wedding problem, it's the cancellation of May Day Bank Holiday that concerns me.

Are you serious, there is no May Day holiday this year?

There is a May day bank holiday this year, Sonny was snake hissed when he wrote that :redneck:

Postby Bourne

Easter weekend is the week beford that, so you got GOOD FRIDAY, GOOD MONDAY, WEDDING FRIDAY, BANK MONDAY all in the space of ten days, plus weekends ... BOOYAHHHH !

Postby GJ

any more news on this as the schedule ahas normal times for the 2nd friday

so will it be played with no tv coverage that day ????

Postby GJ

potentially bad news from ivan at worldsnooker

I emailed ivan asking about semis coverage on friday 29th april

We are waiting to hear from BBC whether the coverage will be affected by the Royal Wedding and what the plan is.

poor i must say you woudl think they would have a plan sorted by now :wild2: :wild2: :wild2:

Postby GJ

how does everyone see this being sorted no coverage and just highligts of the friday semi's schedule ?

Postby Smart

GJ wrote:potentially bad news from ivan at worldsnooker

I emailed ivan asking about semis coverage on friday 29th april

We are waiting to hear from BBC whether the coverage will be affected by the Royal Wedding and what the plan is.

poor i must say you woudl think they would have a plan sorted by now :wild2: :wild2: :wild2:

Ivan :fart:

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:how does everyone see this being sorted no coverage and just highligts of the friday semi's schedule ?

It's possible. Without the BBC pictures, Eurosport can't show it. And if they are more interested in giving over the BBC Interactive service to Royal Wedding analysis, then we might be knackered.

Being optimistic, I would hope that the BBC aren't sending their cameramen to London for the wedding, or giving them the bank holiday off. (There's no reason why they should, they always work the Bank Holiday Monday anyway.) So, if they're filming it you would assume that you would at least be able to watch it online if nowhere else. And again, if they are filming it you would assume Eurosport viewing was possible, if nothing else.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. World Snooker e-mailed me the same thing that Ivan the Terrible e-mailed you. And the BBC replied with a message saying the best thing to do was check the FAQ section on their website. <doh>

Maybe we could write to Buckingham Palace? :huh2:

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
GJ wrote:how does everyone see this being sorted no coverage and just highligts of the friday semi's schedule ?

It's possible. Without the BBC pictures, Eurosport can't show it. And if they are more interested in giving over the BBC Interactive service to Royal Wedding analysis, then we might be knackered.

Being optimistic, I would hope that the BBC aren't sending their cameramen to London for the wedding, or giving them the bank holiday off. (There's no reason why they should, they always work the Bank Holiday Monday anyway.) So, if they're filming it you would assume that you would at least be able to watch it online if nowhere else. And again, if they are filming it you would assume Eurosport viewing was possible, if nothing else.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. World Snooker e-mailed me the same thing that Ivan the Terrible e-mailed you. And the BBC replied with a message saying the best thing to do was check the FAQ section on their website. <doh>

Maybe we could write to Buckingham Palace? :huh2:

Ivan :fart:

Postby SnookerFan

From the BBC Website;

The UK media is saturated with coverage of Prince William's forthcoming marriage to Kate Middleton. But what about those who don't think the event is important?

You'll have put up the bunting, then? Organised the street party? Filled your house with souvenirs and commemorative pull-out supplements?

And obviously you'll want to read all about the happy couple? Where they're going on honeymoon? Whether they've chosen canapes or sausages-on-sticks for the finger buffet?

No? What do you mean, no?

Studying much of the UK media's coverage of the Prince William and Kate Middleton's forthcoming wedding, you'd be forgiven for thinking that its advent had gripped the entire nation in a state of fevered, restless anticipation.

In the four months since the couple's engagement was announced, there have been thousands of mentions of the term "royal wedding" in the UK's national newspapers while broadcasters, including the BBC, have been equally diligent in their pursuit of the story.

Yet polls suggest the British public is not quite so uniformly receptive.

Making you feel ill?

Graphic artist Lydia Leith, 24, from Carlisle, Cumbria, says she has sold thousands of "Royal wedding sick bags".

"We've heard so much about the royal wedding already and I'd heard so many people saying they were sick of it.

"I sent the sick bags out to some graphic design magazines I like and in no time it was all over Twitter.

"I did it as a joke. I never knew it was going to take off as it has.

"I'm not an anti-monarchist but it's true that you can't escape it. I thought I could do something with that."
In a ComRes survey of 1,006 British adults conducted in November 2010, a clear majority said they were "not excited" by the wedding.

Of the sample, some 31% said they "couldn't care less" about the event and a further 28% described themselves as "largely indifferent".

Groups which call for the abolition of the monarchy acknowledge that they are in a minority, with most opinion polls putting dedicated republicans at around one-fifth of the population compared with around 70% backing the present system.

But a glance at readers' comments below any online news story about the marriage indicates the prevalence of antipathy towards nuptial ubiquity.

Comedian Arthur Smith, best known for his curmudgeonly turns on TV's Grumpy Old Men, is aggrieved that journalists are focusing on one matrimonial ceremony at a time of austerity at home and unrest abroad.

"What I hate most is the assumption that I care, when in fact I very much do not," he barks.

"There are lots of important things happening right now and yet we keep hearing about it over and over again. I don't care about my friends' weddings, never mind theirs.
Daily Telegraph
"It's the inescapability of the whole thing - you can't get away from it even if you want to."

Not all of those who express such sentiments are republicans or, indeed, grumpy old men like Smith.

The Daily Telegraph columnist Bryony Gordon is, in keeping with her newspaper's editorial slant, steadfastly pro-monarchy. As a 30-year-old woman she belongs to a demographic that advertisers and editors no doubt visualise cooing over bridal gowns and wedding favours.

And yet she does believe the coverage - to which she has grudgingly contributed - has amounted to overkill, antagonising those who might otherwise be sympathetic to the House of Windsor as an institution.

Additionally, she argues that the very currency of a royal wedding has been devalued from 1981 when 28 million people watched the marriage of Prince Charles and Princess Diana. Exposure of and the rise of celebrity culture may be to blame.

"It's not like in the early 80s when the royals were the big celebrities," she says. "Posh and Becks have usurped them. They even had thrones when they got married.

"Everyone has a royal wedding now - the average one in Britain costs about £20,000. It's not the big deal it once was.

When royal weddings were hard news

Ann Lyon, constitutional historian, University of Plymouth

Historically, royal weddings mattered because a king or his heir would marry the daughter of another to seal an alliance.

This has a long history - it only really died out after World War I. Up until the end of the 19th Century, of course, royal marriages were arranged.

Now, whom William marries is still important because he's the direct heir apparent and his children will be in the direct line of succession.

But from a constitutional point of view it's handy that Kate isn't controversial in any way - she isn't a divorcee or a Catholic, for instance.
"Plus, I can't relate to Kate. I don't know why anyone would marry into that family, for a start."

With even such a natural royalist repelled by the blanket coverage, Palace officials might be expected to worry about its impact on support for the crown as an institution.

Indeed, on the eve of the 2010 wedding of Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria, support for the country's monarchy slumped to its lowest-ever figure of 46%.

Graham Smith, campaign manager for the pressure group Republic, which calls for an end to the monarchy, does not expect a surge in support for an elected head of state in the run-up to 29 April.

Nor is he happy about the amount of coverage the event has so far received, having complained to the BBC for reporting it in a way which he feels has marginalised republican sentiment and insufficiently represented the fact the monarchy is a contested political institution.

But he does hope that the irritation felt by those either normally supportive of the monarchy or indifferent to its constitutional role will compel them to think carefully about the role it plays in British life.

"Politicians and the media are behind the curve," he says. "They don't realise that Britain has moved on. We are far less deferential as a society and as a nation.

"Although they aren't demanding a republic, the public are small-"r" republicans in that they want to see a society of equals.

"That's why the obligation is on the media to report it just down the line and always acknowledge the 20% who want to get rid of it all."

Such republicans may not constitute a majority. But whatever festivities mark the wedding itself, there will be plenty of Britons celebrating when the whole thing is over.

Probably good news that the BBC acknowledges that not everybody cares. :bowdown: Maybe they'll put some snooker on one of their bucking channels, hey. That's a good idea.

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:There will be snooker live on the BBC ... end of !

I hope so. I e-mailed the woman I've been talking to at World Snooker again today, and she still doesn't know how much televised snooker there'll be on the day of the 29th. But, now the BBC has noticed there is a general public apathy towards the wedding, I'm more optimistic there'll be alternatives, which means SNOOKER!!!! :bowdown:

And, am tending towards more cautious optimisim they'll leave the cameramen in Sheffield, and not London now. I read in my local paper, that people are so bored by The Royal Wedding in Croydon that nobody at all has requested permission for street parties, so they aren't going to be any. At all. <laugh> If the media start realising this isn't the big event they thought it was, it can only be good news.

Postby Lucky

SnookerFan wrote:

I hope so. I e-mailed the woman I've been talking to at World Snooker again today, and she still doesn't know how much televised snooker there'll be on the day of the 29th. But, now the BBC has noticed there is a general public apathy towards the wedding, I'm more optimistic there'll be alternatives, which means SNOOKER!!!! :bowdown:

And, am tending towards more cautious optimisim they'll leave the cameramen in Sheffield, and not London now. I read in my local paper, that people are so bored by The Royal Wedding in Croydon that nobody at all has requested permission for street parties, so they aren't going to be any. At all. <laugh> If the media start realising this isn't the big event they thought it was, it can only be good news.

Yeah......maybe if were lucky they'll cancel the bank holiday <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

Lucky wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Yeah......maybe if were lucky they'll cancel the bank holiday <doh>

They ain't gonna do that now, are they? Well, I hope not. But it might distract them from filling all of the BBC channels with rubbish about the wedding, and bringing all the BBC cameramen to London meaning even Eurosport covers it. <laugh> Though, if watching the wedding is compulsory, I must say I'd rather see it commentated on by Mike Hallett and Joe Johnson.

Postby GJ

Friday 29/04/2011

BBC2 12:30-18:00
BBC2 19:00-21:00
BBC2 00:55-01:50

Postby GJ

world snooker site and click on tv on main page half way down where its says world championships

format , draw , tv etc

although its says provisional ??

Postby SnookerFan

The BBC obviously saw my e-mail. :bowdown: More importantly, there is live coverage from the whole day on Eurosport.

Fri 29 April

1000-1300, 1430-1730 & 1900-2200 LIVE semi-finals on British Eurosport & Eurosport HD

:mex:

Postby PatBlock

SnookerFan wrote:Anybody know an e-mail address for BBC? For all the quality of their website, all I can find under the Contact Us section is a FAQ bit. And there's no question about whether the Royal Wedding will bugger up snooker coverage. <laugh> Or is e-mailing the BBC a bad idea? I don't want to get accused of treason or hate crimes or whatever you get accused of for not being a royalist these days. :roll:

In my experience emailing the beeb is a complete waste of time, you just get a generic auto response, or even worse:

Dear viewer,
I understand that you feel....... -- your email quoted back at you ---

:sad:

-

Postby SnookerFan

PatBlock wrote:In my experience emailing the beeb is a complete waste of time, you just get a generic auto response, or even worse:

Dear viewer,
I understand that you feel....... -- your email quoted back at you ---

:sad:

-

I got something along the lines of; "Dear Viewer, Thank you for your e-mail. We draw your attention to our FAQ section on our website. We hope that deals with your complaint." Image