Topic locked

Re: NO Spectators at World Championship Qualifiers !!!!

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:i Do However Feel they should pay for The World Qualifiers even if they play the rest at the Academy.

This is the Big One the tension excitement of that Qualifiers is up there with any main venue tournament...ive never been but the buzz i get from it at home is electric and i know smart been 3 times and he loves it.

Wild <cool>

yes its a real good atmosphere, quite relaxing..a great day out <ok>

Postby Wildey

me seriously need both.

i know smart was impressed with 1 or 2 players he saw at Gloucester in the EPTC that he or us cant see on TV Yet so how are we going to build up fanbase for the new players to replace the establishment if there's no way of seeing them play.

playing in front of a ref in a cubicle will not help them get the confidence of playing in front of a venue audience.

Gloucester is ideal for Qualifiers and must be looked at in depth sooner rather than later for the good of the Sport and Spreading of the Sport.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:me seriously need both.

i know smart was impressed with 1 or 2 players he saw at Gloucester in the EPTC that he or us cant see on TV Yet so how are we going to build up fanbase for the new players to replace the establishment if there's no way of seeing them play.

playing in front of a ref in a cubicle will not help them get the confidence of playing in front of a venue audience.

Gloucester is ideal for Qualifiers and must be looked at in depth sooner rather than later for the good of the Sport and Spreading of the Sport.

yeh this guy def impressed him :love:

Postby Smart

Qualifiers is another world and its a something that should be an option for fans. How can I put this. Imagine telling a non-league footie fan that all of his teams home matches were no longer accessible for crowds cos the decrepid stadium is no longer deemed fit by the crazy H&S rules and regulations.

The fan is robbed of seeing the team he loves. It was his passion, he loved it and it was taken away.

Qualifiers are something that should not be closed away from the public. :|

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:Qualifiers is another world and its a something that should be an option for fans. How can I put this. Imagine telling a non-league footie fan that all of his teams home matches were no longer accessible for crowds cos the decrepid stadium is no longer deemed fit by the crazy H&S rules and regulations.

The fan is robbed of seeing the team he loves. It was his passion, he loved it and it was taken away.

Qualifiers are something that should not be closed away from the public. :|

totally agree

ive not been to qualifiers for some years now but i used to go for a week to blackpool early 90s to the Norbreck castle Hotel it was great walking from table to table at that time there was something like 15 tables there with snooker players coming out of your ears.... i might have bumped in to mr mcbride along the way unbelivable to think years later i call him a cretin <laugh> (only joking john :redneck: ).

it was a great week as a snooker fan sharing breakfast with players and ref's alike.

that has to be part of the bigger picture for Barry Hearn surely and not close them off behind the Sheffield Acadamy.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Dave Hendon on twitter two hours ago
World Snooker has been reviewing where to play the world quals so there's every chance they will be open to public - as they should be

nice one Smart will be Hoping Near him :)

Postby Smart

Wild wrote:
Monique wrote:Dave Hendon on twitter two hours ago
World Snooker has been reviewing where to play the world quals so there's every chance they will be open to public - as they should be

nice one Smart will be Hoping Near him :)

Gloucester would be superb <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:forget spectators, what about live streams?

<doh>

Lets just forget about the people who pay to watch snooker, shall we? :roll: So much for this being a forum for forward thinking snooker fans. There are so many paying fans, we can afford to ignore their opinion.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

<doh>

Lets just forget about the people who pay to watch snooker, shall we? :roll: So much for this being a forum for forward thinking snooker fans. There are so many paying fans, we can afford to ignore their opinion.

forward thinking is get qualifiers extensible to the masses....

but for the players they need something to feed off playing in front of nobody not very inspiring.

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:From a purely selfish point of view, I agree with Sonny <ok> Hopefully team Hearn has learnt a lot from the last year.

Maybe I am the one being selfish. I don't bother watching live streams of qualifiers. Yet, I buy tickets t events. I do feel, that people buying tickets, and pumping money back into the sport is more important. How many snooker fans are going to be watching via live streams? Bugger all, apart from a few hard-core fans, most of which post on this site.

Knowing my record on this forum for people agreeing with me though, somebody is going to come on and say live streams are the life-blood of the sport. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

<doh>

but for the players they need something to feed off playing in front of nobody not very inspiring.

So, let me ask you this. Which would you put as more important? Live attendance, or live stream. If you could pick one. Bearing in mind, we are talking about qualifiers.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

<doh>

So, let me ask you this. Which would you put as more important? Live attendance, or live stream. If you could pick one. Bearing in mind, we are talking about qualifiers.

both in equal measures for different reasons <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:Advertising must get much more revenue in than fans through the turnstyles...

Well, you say that. But remember, it's been a struggle the past few years to find sponsorship for the major tournaments. The Masters went ahead the other year with no sponsors, and that attracts good crowds and is televised on the BBC. Potential sponsors are going to be given this situation. "This tournament isn't going to be played before any crowd, and won't be televised, but will be given a live stream to the hardcore fans who know about it and want to watch it online."

How much money would you throw at them? Millions? Billions? I'm just saying.

Postby Smart

If only a betting firm would take up a sponsorship position for the qualifiers, that is one area that Barry should look to tap (the betting firm). Imagine if 1 betting firm signed up the floodgates would open.

I love betting firm sponsorship, almost as classy as tobacco sponsorship. :|

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:If only a betting firm would take up a sponsorship position for the qualifiers, that is one area that Barry should look to tap (the betting firm). Imagine if 1 betting firm signed up the floodgates would open.

I love betting firm sponsorship, almost as classy as tobacco sponsorship. :|

We're not at a stage where we can be too fussy at the moment, that's the thing. Hearn has a lot of contacts in the online betting industry that sponsor other sporting events he's involved in. And considering that it was only the other year that The Masters went ahead without a sponsor, it'd be silly not to bring them in. Okay, some people are against gambling, but some people are against alcohol. Would we turn Fosters or Stella Artois away if they wanted to put a lot of money into the sport?

In an ideal world, we'd not have to rely on one industry to sponsor events. Snooker was stuffed when all the tobacco sponsorship fell through. However, we take what we can get at the moment. Hopefully if Hearn can convince a lot of gambling websites to sponsor these events, he can get companies from other industries to do so.

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:I'd love to see the Stella World Championships........................................I bet wife beaters all over the planet would rejoice at this sponsor being involved. :)

I'm going to have to cut down on my drinking. Nipped down the local yesterday, got a bit involved. Drank more beers then I intended.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:I'd love to see the Stella World Championships........................................I bet wife beaters all over the planet would rejoice at this sponsor being involved. :)

I'm going to have to cut down on my drinking. Nipped down the local yesterday, got a bit involved. Drank more beers then I intended.

I'd say that alcohol is addictive. I'm gonna go clean for a month I think, get myself some exercise routine. Its just been so wet and damn cold that I have not wanted to go out for a walk etc. <ok> :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I'd say that alcohol is addictive. I'm gonna go clean for a month I think, get myself some exercise routine. Its just been so wet and damn cold that I have not wanted to go out for a walk etc. <ok> :wave:

I did promise nagging parents I'd do more exercise, so have had a few goes on the treadmill. I should give up on the beer for a while to. I drink too much.