Topic locked

Murphy takes another loss in good grace...

Postby SnookerFan

Shaun Murphy was furious with crowd interruptions as his China Open run came to a halt at the semi-final phase.

Murphy, who was aiming to become the first man since 2003 to win consecutive ranking events in the same season, suffered a 6-1 defeat against Judd Trump.

However, Murphy was unhappy with the number of times spectators' phones rang or their cameras flashed at the Beijing Students University Stadium.

"There were many distractions from the crowd, from fans' cameras or phones and it's very bad," said Murphy.

"It happens here every year and some people are either very rude or can't read.

"It's very straight forward to turn the flash off your camera and it's not complicated to turn off your phone. Every player this week has suffered because of it.

"Is it the reason why I lost the match? Of course not. But it's not very nice.

"It's difficult when a phone goes off or a camera flashes and it's a distraction. You're concentrating very hard but when someone's flash goes off in your face you can't do anything about it. When it happens every frame, all the time it's very difficult.

"At golf tournaments when you arrive they take your phone off of you and you put it in a bag and collect it afterwards. Maybe we should do that as well."

Trump, who has reached his first ranking tournament final at the age of 21, shared Murphy's concerns about phones and cameras.

"It's not good when you're out there playing for your living," added Trump.

"It would be ok if it's just one person but it happens over and over again at crucial moments. It does put you off and sometimes you can miss because of it.

"If you're watching snooker there's no harm in turning your phone off for a while, it will not be the end of the world. In the UK one phone may go off in a game but here it's nine or ten."

Re: Murphy takes another loss in good grace...

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:Shaun was quite gracious on twitter after the match to be fair to him and he wished Judd all the best for the final <ok>

Well, that's fair enough then... He's actually not that bad a loser.

But he does always seem to be on a one man moral crusade to clear the sport up. Image

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Bourne wrote:Shaun was quite gracious on twitter after the match to be fair to him and he wished Judd all the best for the final <ok>

But he does always seem to be on a one man moral crusade to clear the sport up. Image

Murphy hatah :zzz:

Rotherham hatah :zzz:

Christian hatah :zzz:

Postby vodkadiet

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Beer belly hatah!

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Beer belly hatah!

I got one of them of my own.

I think in fairness yours is bigger than his, belly that is........cant really talk cockerel sizes here. :hatoff:

His is bigger. Don't ask how I know.

Postby PLtheRef

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Dont include Rotherham in that

When he and Clare divorced he went to Sale claiming that South Yorkshire had done nothing for him

Postby GJ

PLtheRef wrote:
Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Dont include Rotherham in that

When he and Clare divorced he went to Sale claiming that South Yorkshire had done nothing for him

yes he is now a popular man in mancheter and mentioned on twitter he is playing an exhibition in ROCHDALE soon

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:My only gripe with Murphy is why he only mentions it after losing.

i can guarantee had he won and someone else did the complaining he would complain about the complainer <laugh>

Postby jojo

murphy almost a little bit autistic type you get people like this in life who rub people up the wrong way i dont think he a bad person he just sees things purely from his point of view without meaning an ounce of harm to anyone else

Postby vodkadiet

Wild wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:My only gripe with Murphy is why he only mentions it after losing.

i can guarantee had he won and someone else did the complaining he would complain about the complainer <laugh>

Irthlingborough hatah!

Postby Monique

jojo wrote:murphy almost a little bit autistic type you get people like this in life who rub people up the wrong way i dont think he a bad person he just sees things purely from his point of view without meaning an ounce of harm to anyone else

Agreed. And moreover Murphy has a right to say what is on his mind and is 100% right in this particular case. Judd Trump wasn't pleased neither and it was plain to see when he missed that black in the middle pocket after being disturbed by the sunlight coming on the table.
I remember Stephen Hendry complaining about the noise and the cameras in an interview some years ago - I think it was in the Shanghai Masters 2007.

I don't understand, and I think I will never understand, why in the eyes of so many snooker fans, any statement of a player who lost, in relationship with something that wasn't quite right, is always seen as "excuses". Why can't the guys just say the things the way they are?

After losing to Mark Selby in Dublin Mark Williams was fuming about the conditions... and so was Selby the winner. In Berlin Mark Willams, then the winner, was fuming about the conditions ... and so was Selby, the loser. It was simply true that both of them were frustrated because they had missed too many shots on heavy and at times unpredictable tables. Why can't they say it, wathever the result of the match?

One thing is to take defeat graciously, which Murphy did; he praised Judd Trump and wished him all the best in the final. Another is to be muzzled about something that he had every right to find annoying just because he's the one who lost the match.
Last edited by Monique on 03 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

I think Monique, it's that Murphy is always moaning on about something, so even when he has a point in what he's saying, people get bored of hearing it.

I agreed with what Murphy said about Ronnie O'Sullivan's 147 incident, but I don't agree with Murphy calling him pathetic. He made it too personal, and thus it didn't look like a legitimate complaint. All people remembered was that he attacked Ronnie, and not what his original point was. Also, remember when Murphy complained that more people wanted to watch Ronnie then watch him.

Didn't he have a go at Robertson a couple of months back, saying Neil Robertson played too slow. This was at a time when Robertson was playing somebody else.

If people become blase about Murphy and his talk, he doesn't really have anybody to blame but himself.

Postby Wildey

Monique

yes theres a point in what he said nobody denying that it was poor form and even the curtains put light on the matter :john:

but if he had won Shaun's response would be "it was the same for both players".