Topic locked

Re: Stephen Hendry vs Matthew Stevens

Postby mediter

Talking about break-building, I think O´Sullivan has unrivalled flair and genius how he nudges to release reds. But when Hendry is in-form, he´s clearly the most efficient and lethal break-builder ever ! :D :D

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Oh dear, poor Matthew. Obviously the Championship league win and the visa chase and playing on day 1 has seen to him. No way Hendry would whitewash the Stevens I watched a couple of weeks ago. Hendry is usually Stevens puppet.

with respect Hendry would have whitewashed Stevens of the Championship league easy the way he played today Stevens did not have the easy chances he had last week so he did not score.

Postby Wildey

you could blame tiredness if he got in and struggled to kill off frames but seriously Stephen just out played him in every aspect of the game so he never had a genuine chance.

he scored 7 in the second frame position from red to black was poor so he had to play safe other than that he either had to take a risky pot or play safe.

Postby Wildey

ill tell you what if Hendry can keep that going ding has problems ....

god thats the most encouraged ive been about Hendry for 3 or 4 years and it was one of the most dominant performance against a top player and Stevens is now a top player for god knows how many years.

its been a convenient excuse this tiering rubbish if Stevens had been sat on his ass for 3 months the score would be the same.

Postby kostasmad

I saw the game. Hendry played very very well. Stevens aknowledged that in his facebook page by saying "Lost to a very impressive Hendry 5-0, it is not all bad though, I get to go home at last and start my Crucible preparation. See you all in Sheffield :)"

If Stevens was playing as the last weeks the game would have been close...cause Stevens was not missing anything last week.... he had 30 over 50 breaks last week...

He was too drained...you could see it from the black circles in his eyes...

Postby Wildey

kostasmad wrote:I saw the game. Hendry played very very well. Stevens aknowledged that in his facebook page by saying "Lost to a very impressive Hendry 5-0, it is not all bad though, I get to go home at last and start my Crucible preparation. See you all in Sheffield :)"

If Stevens was playing as the last weeks the game would have been close...cause Stevens was not missing anything last week.... he had 30 over 50 breaks last week...

He was too drained...you could see it from the black circles in his eyes...

yes but he did not have much chace to make 30 today last week they were setting them up for him.

that how snooker goes somedays you just dont get any chances.

Postby Bourne

Do you think if Hendo maintains that level, or close to it, all week he can win the tournament ?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Do you think if Hendo maintains that level, or close to it, all week he can win the tournament ?

no

because other players can keep him seated but if he keeps that level of performances in to the world and in to next season he could do some damage along the way...

the way he played in the UK the only damage i thought he would do was to his cue.

when mark williams was on the way back he took some bad knocks along the way but more good play he produced the more confident he became thats all hendry can hope for at the moment winning tournaments is way off.

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:Congratulations Wild
I slept through it, doesn't seem like I missed much. I thought it would be close with Hendry fighting for his top 16 place and had he been playing anyone other than Matthew I would have been with you cheering on Stephen :love:

I'm surprised you didn't jump out of the upstairs window. <laugh>

I really thought that would be a good match though.

Postby vodkadiet

If Hendry hadn't managed a 30 break and won 5-0 that would be fair enough, but he scored pretty well and would have probably won regardless of whether Matt was tired or not.

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:If Hendry hadn't managed a 30 break and won 5-0 that would be fair enough, but he scored pretty well and would have probably won regardless of whether Matt was tired or not.

totally my point matt was a spectator in 3 out of 5 hendry won in 1 visit his only real chance came in frame 2 which he fluffed a positional shot from red on to the black then there was some safety shots and hendry got in.....his safety was solid, his potting was solid, his breakbuilding was solid matthew got out played.

Postby jojo

credit to hendry from what i gather appeared he play really well not much to do with stevens however it likely he still going to have to beat honest joe to get back into the top sixteen and i think honest joe will win that at the crucible

every once a while great sportsman from yesteryear well past their prime produce a flash in the pan performance ive seen it with past their peak davis and white and in other sports too before fading back into sporting oblivion

even so i think ding will beat hendry next match ding the stronger player this year and home support will help him

nothing against hendry class is permanent as they say and today it appear that class came out but he will soon go back to being himself the way hes been the last few years one dimensional game ding im sure will do him and honest joe will give him one at the crucible

Postby Wildey

jojo wrote:credit to hendry from what i gather appeared he play really well not much to do with stevens however it likely he still going to have to beat honest joe to get back into the top sixteen and i think honest joe will win that at the crucible

every once a while great sportsman from yesteryear well past their prime produce a flash in the pan performance ive seen it with past their peak davis and white and in other sports too before fading back into sporting oblivion

even so i think ding will beat hendry next match ding the stronger player this year and home support will help him

nothing against hendry class is permanent as they say and today it appear that class came out but he will soon go back to being himself the way hes been the last few years one dimensional game ding im sure will do him and honest joe will give him one at the crucible

na joe will be a piece of cake that match not even on my radar of concerns for Hendry already looking ahead to the second round against Selby.

Postby jojo

honest joe capable of putting it about here and there every now and again and i just think with hendry pretty much scraping through his last three first round matches at the crucible eventually it will catch up with him anyhow if he does win that match which i dont think he will selby will kill him like last year i believe

Postby Bourne

I can just never rule out the old man at the Crucible of all places, I may end up looking like a 'price planck' as wild would say, but I think he might beat Selby this time and make the QFs.

Postby jojo

selbys game is too smart for hendry the only way hendry can win that match is if he completely on his a game heavy scoring and long potting

as it is selby will know how to play hendry got him sussed too intelligent for hendry who will keep trying to pot his way through instead of playing proper matchplay

anyhow honest joe will beat him in round one i feel as mentioned already

Postby GJ

no pressure on GL i think he has a good chance agianst hendo

Postby GJ

jojo wrote:who gl ?

GROUP LEADER perry

Postby Bourne

Tubberlad wrote:Hendry will beat Perry, but Selby should hammer him like last year...

That match was tight early on before Selby managed to turn on the afterburners and a few little key things when his way, Hendo will have learnt from that. Anyway Selby's not nearly as good as some people make him out to be IMO <ok>

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:I can just never rule out the old man at the Crucible of all places, I may end up looking like a 'price planck' as wild would say, but I think he might beat Selby this time and make the QFs.

As a Selby fan im concerned about his Form more than i am Hendrys..

hes just not putting frames away in one visit its a struggle for him at the mo so i would not rule out a hendry win there but Selby obviously favorite

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:Hendry will beat Perry, but Selby should hammer him like last year...

Selby is Struggling he was more lethal last season.....

Selby should have smashed the century record in a season i cant see him even beating it now.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:I can just never rule out the old man at the Crucible of all places, I may end up looking like a 'price planck' as wild would say, but I think he might beat Selby this time and make the QFs.

As a Selby fan im concerned about his Form more than i am Hendrys..

hes just not putting frames away in one visit its a struggle for him at the mo so i would not rule out a hendry win there but Selby obviously favorite

He's had a lot of tight losses in big matches and I think that mentally it really can take it's toll on you after a while and you start to doubt yourself if you can really fulfill your talent. Selby would definitely be favourite but that hasn't phased Hendry much before and I doubt it would phase him again this year.