Topic locked

Re: Wyldecrest Park Welsh Open Semi Final Discussion !!!!!

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:3 misses and ball in hand in the D is the most extreme rule change I think I can live with. Ball in hand anywhere on the table after any foul is BULL rubbish

What that means in essence is any foul could well lose you the frame if you're playing anyone half decent.

totally agree thats a positive move .....this 3 miss and lose the frame is bullocks now already.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote:3 misses and ball in hand in the D is the most extreme rule change I think I can live with. Ball in hand anywhere on the table after any foul is BULL rubbish

What that means in essence is any foul could well lose you the frame if you're playing anyone half decent.

totally agree thats a positive move .....this 3 miss and lose the frame is bullocks now already.

Actually, that's a good idea. I mean missing it three times and you lose is a bit retarded, even if you don't see it done much anyway. Maybe change it to three misses and the ball in hand rule applies. That way, the opponent still has to pot all the balls to win, even if they are set up. It still means they have to somewhat earn it.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:Definitely knows the score re. the Worlds draw, massive dip in performance. Be interesting to see the overall stats actually, comparing his %s vs Ding and today.

talk of tanking is bad for the sport and im disgusted by it if im honest.

lets ban him from the worlds then he would have tanked for poo.

I guess I should add for legal reasons that these views are of myself and not of Snooker Island's :wave:

But tanking definitely happens and you'd be naive to think otherwise :huh2:

im all for suspending any sportsman that does that it might be naive on my part but its corruption and unproffesionalism on their part....

i can live with being naive lets hope they can live with being corrupt ass holes <ok>

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:Definitely knows the score re. the Worlds draw, massive dip in performance. Be interesting to see the overall stats actually, comparing his %s vs Ding and today.

talk of tanking is bad for the sport and im disgusted by it if im honest.

lets ban him from the worlds then he would have tanked for poo.

I guess I should add for legal reasons that these views are of myself and not of Snooker Island's :wave:

But tanking definitely happens and you'd be naive to think otherwise :huh2:

im all for suspending any sportsman that does that it might be naive on my part but its corruption and unproffesionalism on their part....

i can live with being naive lets hope they can live with being corrupt ass holes <ok>

It's not corruption because it's not illegal, it's called prioritising and I don't see a problem with it :huh2:

Postby GJ

dott should be investigated to as he ebat robbo easily and played rubbish against selby

dott as in ronnies quarter after beating robo he wanst

thoughts detective wild

Postby Tubberlad

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:

Actually, that's a good idea. I mean missing it three times and you lose is a bit retarded, even if you don't see it done much anyway. Maybe change it to three misses and the ball in hand rule applies. That way, the opponent still has to pot all the balls to win, even if they are set up. It still means they have to somewhat earn it.

Ball in hand is a load of total bull

Postby Roland

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:

Ball in hand in the D, not anywhere on the table

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:

yes but reason you dont see it happen much because they play any old rubbish shot.

if you could get ball in hand after a foul any old rubbish shot will become the norm <ok>

Postby Roland

GJ wrote:dott should be investigated to as he ebat robbo easily and played rubbish against selby

thoughts detective wild

If you think Dott tanked then you're a mug. Dott is a born winner.

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:
GJ wrote:dott should be investigated to as he ebat robbo easily and played rubbish against selby

thoughts detective wild

calm down

im saying by wilds logic half the players in the event would be investigated

:wave: :wave:

Postby Bourne

ProSnookerBlog Matt
Higgins' win means the top 16 for Sheffield are decided then! Might not seem like it now, but see that as a blessing in disguise for Ali.
3 minutes ago

I think that's the most PC way of putting it <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:It's not corruption because it's not illegal, it's called prioritising and I don't see a problem with it :huh2:

How can you not see a problem with it? That's a terrible comment. You're saying, as a fan of snooker, seeing top players not wanting to play very well in tournaments is fine?

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:
Bourne wrote:It's not corruption because it's not illegal, it's called prioritising and I don't see a problem with it :huh2:

How can you not see a problem with it? That's a terrible comment. You're saying, as a fan of snooker, seeing top players not wanting to play very well in tournaments is fine?

It's called being a realist. Now that the tour is packed full of events almost every week, it's absolutely natural players will want to get right for some over others.

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:
Sonny wrote:

thoughts detective wild

calm down

im saying by wilds logic half the players in the event would be investigated

:wave: :wave:

they are investigated theres a unit in place investigating every match if theres any concern if they will find anything we will then hear about it <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:they are investigated theres a unit in place investigating every match if theres any concern if they will find anything we will then hear about it <ok>

Well, a couple of members on here are concerned. Surely grounds for investigation. <laugh>

Postby Bourne

Anyway I never actually said that Carter wanted to lose today, I think instead the positives were there for him even if he did lose and maybe he lost his focus so his performance dipped and that's what seemed to happen. So it's not the end of the world for him <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

I think it would be very naive to think certain players wouldn't do something like this, but I think it's most likely that the ones who do will not be picking up the Joe Davis trophy. They don't have the confidence in themselves to beat whoever's put in front of them, they don't have the necessary competitive drive and they don't deserve the title of World Champion.

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:I think it would be very naive to think certain players wouldn't do something like this, but I think it's most likely that the ones who do will not be picking up the Joe Davis trophy. They don't have the confidence in themselves to beat whoever's put in front of them, they don't have the necessary competitive drive and they don't deserve the title of World Champion.

Spot on. Looking at a draw and going; "Oh, I don't want to play Ronnie or Higgins, I'll aim to play somebody lower down the rankers" is not the attitude a tournament winner has. Successful players need that bit of confidence in themselves to succeed.

Postby Bourne

GJ wrote:Federer has tanked matches in small events so is he not a proper champion

list goes on

Yes he is the perfect example of a player who can look after themselves throughout a season and make sure they get peak condition for when the big tournaments come about. He's never even retired from a match in his career so he's never played a match to lose, BUT you can play matches with a 'less hectic' style ...

Postby vodkadiet

If they stopped automatically pairing 1 with 16, 2 with 15 etc, then players would not tactically lose to get a better Crucible draw.

They could decide that numbers 1,2,3,4 are randomly drawn against 13,14,15,16; and 5,6,7,8 are randomly drawn against 9,10,11,12. By the same token for quarter final pairings, 1,2,3,4 could be randomly drawn against 5,6,7,8; and for semis 1,2 could randomly drawn against 3,4. This is how it works in tennis.
Last edited by vodkadiet on 19 Feb 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Bourne

vodkadiet wrote:If they stopped automatically pairing 1 with 16, 2 with 15 etc, then players would not tactically lose to get a better Crucible draw.

They could decide that numbers 1,2,3,4 are randomly drawn against 13,14,15,16; and 5,6,7,8 are randomly drawn against 9,10,11,12. By the same token for quarter final pairings, 1,2,3,4 could be randomly drawn against 5,6,7,8; and for semis 1,2 could randonly drawn against 3,4. This is how it works in tennis.

:idea: :idea: :idea:

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:chumba

dark age duo know best

What's the dark ages got to do with it? This could be the 1970s, 1870s, nowadays, or 30 years in the future. If a player isn't fussed about winning tournaments because they aren't the World, UK or Masters, then they are more then likely not going to have much success, and it isn't a very good attitude for a professional. Thinking that much into avoiding top players at The Crucible surely shows they have no confidence in themselves. In which case they probably won't have much success in their careers.

I don't know why it would occur to people that this happens, let alone people condoning it. Is the real issue tanking, or is it that certain people on this forum don't like "'lesser" tournaments as much.

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:If they stopped automatically pairing 1 with 16, 2 with 15 etc, then players would not tactically lose to get a better Crucible draw.

bucking hell, 172 posts in and you finally say something sensible. Keep it up. <ok>

It's something I've always wondered why they do. Surely, being in the top-16 gets enough advantages what with qualifying automatically for the tournament, and enabling you to play a qualifier in the first round. They don't need top seeds getting guaranteed lower seeds in round 2 as well.