Topic locked

Re: Wyldecrest Park Welsh Open Quarter Final Discussion !!!!

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:
Bourne wrote:Lost count of the number of times Higgins has gone into a match like this against a form 'underdog' only for John to beat them with something to spare, the old 'expected upset' rule.

When does Higgins ever win with something to spare ?

He always does a Selby and stumbles over the line !!

Which is why I always struggle to put him as high as Ronnie, in spite of not being that far behind him achievements wise. O'Sullivan goes out and hammers players, you don't really see that from Higgins. His two best performances IMO were against Ronnie in the 2005 GP final, and his superb second session against Allen in 2009.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:SORRY WITZ

but idiots talking crap pisses me off <ok>

what was crap about what i said? <doh>

Hendry has a habit of winning 1st round games ? TRUE

Hendry has a habit of losing in round 2 to players higher ranked than him? TRUE

This has been happening for a good few seasons now so Hendry has obviously found his level ? TRUE

Postby Tubberlad

Casey wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:I still think he never recovered from losing the 2002 final. That was at his mercy that one.

Very true. His own arrogance cost him that title, one he will forever regret.

To put it into context, I think it would have been like Carter beating O'Sullivan in the 2008 final.

Postby Casey

Tubberlad wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Bourne wrote:Lost count of the number of times Higgins has gone into a match like this against a form 'underdog' only for John to beat them with something to spare, the old 'expected upset' rule.

Which is why I always struggle to put him as high as Ronnie, in spite of not being that far behind him achievements wise. O'Sullivan goes out and hammers players, you don't really see that from Higgins. His two best performances IMO were against Ronnie in the 2005 GP final, and his superb second session against Allen in 2009.

Look at the draws he gets though.
he had to beat top top players in the 09 Worlds and 10 UK. Not many could have came through a draw like that.

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:witz

to be fair its hardly unprovoked you were comparing hendo to king is an insult to the GOAT HENDO

The sooner Hendry and his fans wake up and smell the coffee and realise its 2011, not 1993 the better <ok>

the Hendry of 2011 (and the last few years) deserves to be grouped in the same bracket as King in the last few years and McManus for seemingly a decade. These 3 were never a threat in the later stages of tournaments and rarely made Quarters but always did the bare minimum to keep their top places.

Postby Tubberlad

Casey wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Look at the draws he gets though.
he had to beat top top players in the 09 Worlds and 10 UK. Not many could have came through a draw like that.

Very true that. What I like about Higgins is he doesn't choke, and if a match goes close, you know what's going to happen.

I'd just like to see him hammer a few players every now and then.

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:

to be fair its hardly unprovoked you were comparing hendo to king is an insult to the GOAT HENDO

The sooner Hendry and his fans wake up and smell the coffee and realise its 2011, not 1993 the better <ok>

the Hendry of 2011 (and the last few years) deserves to be grouped in the same bracket as King in the last few years and McManus for seemingly a decade. These 3 were never a threat in the later stages of tournaments and rarely made Quarters but always did the bare minimum to keep their top places.

That's since 2006. Right up to then, Hendry was a contender every tournament he played. Had he beaten Stevens at the 2005 Worlds, I have little doubt he'd have gone on to win the whole thing.

Postby Witz78

Tubberlad wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

That's since 2006. Right up to then, Hendry was a contender every tournament he played. Had he beaten Stevens at the 2005 Worlds, I have little doubt he'd have gone on to win the whole thing.

a contender but not a winner. 1 major win in a decade up till 2006.

Anyway,my point about Hendry was about the Hendry of recent years who cant buy a win against anyone ranked above him <ok>

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:
Bourne wrote:Allen at the UK the perfect example.

an almost isolated incident. <ok>

Selby here last year, Liang at the UK 09, Allen at Worlds/World Open 09 ... plenty in the last couple of years, just when you think John looks beaten, he produces a stellar performance because that's what great players do <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Selby here last year, Liang at the UK 09, Allen at Worlds/World Open 09 ... plenty in the last couple of years, just when you think John looks beaten, he produces a stellar performance because that's what great players do <ok>

You're right, and Higgins is unquestionably one of the game's finest ever, but great players also hand out maulings every now and then. I miss that from Higgins.

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

<doh>

but the point is that the Ronnies etc of this world when they play well "dont look beaten" cos they steamroller opponents from the off, they dont have to rely on comebacks

Postby Bourne

Tubberlad wrote:
Bourne wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

You're right, and Higgins is unquestionably one of the game's finest ever, but great players also hand out maulings every now and then. I miss that from Higgins.

You can make a strong case for the amount of tight wins he gets being more impressive than schooling everyone, because the amount of concentration you have to put into each tight match in getting through is much greater than when you're 5-1ing every round ... I mean, Williams is a good example today, those easy R1/R2 wins haven't done him any favours whereas Mags was able to call on that bit of experience in coming past Hendo from a frame down and 3-2.

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:
Bourne wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

You can make a strong case for the amount of tight wins he gets being more impressive than schooling everyone, because the amount of concentration you have to put into each tight match in getting through is much greater than when you're 5-1ing every round ... I mean, Williams is a good example today, those easy R1/R2 wins haven't done him any favours whereas Mags was able to call on that bit of experience in coming past Hendo from a frame down and 3-2.

thats a bit like saying its more impressive pulling a bird at 3am when the nightclubs just about to close than it is to pull a bird at 11pm :huh:

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:
Bourne wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:
Bourne wrote:Selby here last year, Liang at the UK 09, Allen at Worlds/World Open 09 ... plenty in the last couple of years, just when you think John looks beaten, he produces a stellar performance because that's what great players do <ok>

thats a bit like saying its more impressive pulling a bird at 3am when the nightclubs just about to close than it is to pull a bird at 11pm :huh:

Yeh almost exactly the same :redneck: