Topic locked

Re: Ronnie pulls out... again!

Postby Monique

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... sters.html
O'SULLIVAN WITHDRAWS FROM GERMAN MASTERS
Ronnie O'Sullivan has withdrawn from the German Masters.

His decision not to travel to Berlin gives Dominic Dale a bye in to the last 16. It will also leave many who bought tickets specifically to see him play disappointed.

I can reveal that O'Sullivan recently told World Snooker he wanted to take a break from the game.

The sabbatical does not apparently include exhibitions. He has signed up for several nights on the Snooker Legends tour, indeed played Jimmy White in Blackburn last night.

This is almost on a par with Joe Davis in the 1950s, who retired from the World Championship but played in exhibitions.

Everyone knew he was still the best player and the fact he wasn't in the World Championship killed the tournament off, although it would be fanciful to suggest O'Sullivan's behaviour could do the same in 2011.

In exhibitions, there is little pressure. In a tournament, though, a player has his game tested. There is pressure. It is serious. Anyone who watched O'Sullivan in the UK Championship or the Masters will have observed that he was poorly motivated and unable to raise his game when he needed to.

Against White last night he contributed to an evening that included six centuries in eight frames.

Tournament snooker is perhaps boring to him now when set against the rush of a one night show - as in the Premier League - where he can pitch up, play and go home again - especially when the result doesn't really matter that much and he won't feel undue pressure.

But professional players have a responsibility to the game as well as their own whims.

O'Sullivan entered the tournament and so he should play in it unless there is a serious reason why he cannot.

The WPBSA's disciplinary arm recently instituted a series of punishments for players withdrawing from events they have entered.

The financial cost will not bother O'Sullivan. He has more than enough money to cover it.

The event will survive. German snooker fans have enthusiasm for the game, not just the top players.

But O'Sullivan is clearly at some sort of crossroads. He has threatened to retire many times and it has always been a rash, spur of the moment statement.

What is clear right now, though, is that he doesn't want to play tournament snooker.

Steve Davis recently also highlighted Ronnie's lack of motivation. Ken Doherty hinted at it after Ronnie lost in the Masters.

Ronnie it seems had been open with Clive Everton and Phil Yates about his intentions to take sabbatical time when he last played in the CLS.

So I'm not in the least surprised.
I just hope that this is indeed the right decision for himself and his future.

Postby likelylad

Well, its no surprise but if he got any decency he does a refund to the german fans who wanted to see him play. I know personally a lot are just going to see Ronnie. Its also no suprise he does not care about snookerfans, too many incidents have happened over the years where he cant be bothered. His ranking career will be over quick and fast. I am fortunate to have witnessed Ronnie at his best, but its all over! From now on he will just do the one day events, like the power crap snooker and demos like the snooker legends. Can you imagine Ronnie playing Dennis Taylor, for god sake!!! Terrible!

Postby Monique

The snooker fans who have a ticket for that session will see Mark Selby and Mark Allen in action. It's an open setup with all tables in sight. I have no doubt that they will see interesting snooker.
As for not caring about the fans ... well in Blackpool Ronnie was one of the last to stay to sign autographs and have pictures taken well after he had lost in the semis and well after the Final was over.

Postby Bourne

Casey wrote:
Bourne wrote:
Casey wrote:The last time Ronnie won a World Snooker tour match was against Peter Ebdon at the World Open. Conceivably he might not play again until the World Championship.

Isn't he going to Wales ?

Hendon said that Ronnie told World Snooker he was taking a break from the game. To me that could well include the Welsh Open; then would you bet on him going to China in March? :chin:

Fair point bro :emu: He will be out of the top 16 very quickly at this rate, and he deserves it.

Postby likelylad

Well Mark Selby is dropping nearly out of the top 16, he is not a real joy to watch over the last season. To sign autographs is what all players do, i mean the incidents where he had disrespect.

For instance at the backstage door at The Crucible he speeded into the venue with his merc, leaving a school class with children in disappointment. Drove in, door closed, no Ronnie to see. I can give more examples but i have not got the time to write them all down lol

Monique wrote:The snooker fans who have a ticket for that session will see Mark Selby and Mark Allen in action. It's an open setup with all tables in sight. I have no doubt that they will see interesting snooker.
As for not caring about the fans ... well in Blackpool Ronnie was one of the last to stay to sign autographs and have pictures taken well after he had lost in the semis and well after the Final was over.

Postby Wildey

well that Dave Hendon article has highlighted whats going on.

When his father was going to be released from Prison many believed that would be the inspiration he needed to go on to bigger and better things well the opposite is the case.

His priority is building a Relationship with him again and integrating his own kids life to being a Happy Family unlike what he had with a Father that was Away.

Ronnies Career is coming to a end it seems and if he takes time out would he want to go up to Sheffield to play qualifiers to get in to venues im not sure.

its disappointing for the sport and for me as a fan. hopefully next season there wont be a withdrawn but a point black decision saying look im taking time out if i come back ill have to qualify etc

but his place is quite obviously with his family now.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

To be honest I was waiting all day for the announcement. But that doesn't make it less disappointing. His ranking and his status goes down to hell and he doesn't even care the least.

Well Ronnie had big downs before - in 2006 he was whitewashed in one session by Dott and gave away his cue after that. What's going on this season could be just another down but it could well be the beginning of the end. I don't know why he's not motivated to play tournament snooker at the moment, only Ronnie himself will.

Ronnie said after his last WC win what he wants to end his career on a big high, in my ideal scenario he would get himself together one more time and win this fourth World Title this year and than retire from the Main tour in style and play from thereon only in his favourite snooker event the Premier League once a year.

Postby Witz78

Just a shame you couldnt combine Ronnies talent (which is still 95% intact) with Jimmys attitude and love for the game (which is greater than ever) and give the public one Peoples Champion who can do the business.

It must frustrate Jimmy that his great friend Ronnie has all the talent but doesnt use it, whilst Jimmy himself will play every event going till the day he drops dead probably and would love to still possess some of his old skills.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Just a shame you couldnt combine Ronnies talent (which is still 95% intact) with Jimmys attitude and love for the game (which is greater than ever) and give the public one Peoples Champion who can do the business.

It must frustrate Jimmy that his great friend Ronnie has all the talent but doesnt use it, whilst Jimmy himself will play every event going till the day he drops dead probably and would love to still possess some of his old skills.

jimmy would play Wembley Stadium with Ronnie Wood if he could sing rofl

Postby Casey

I'm not convinced that 95% of Ronnies ability is still there.
Granted, when he is on it he is still brilliant, but he no longer is able to win matches with ease on his B game.
He hasn't won a ranking event/masters since September 2009. It will be very interesting to see what his ranking is come the end of the season should he choose to only play in the WC.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Just a shame you couldnt combine Ronnies talent (which is still 95% intact) with Jimmys attitude and love for the game (which is greater than ever) and give the public one Peoples Champion who can do the business.

jimmy would play Wembley Stadium with Ronnie Wood if he could sing rofl

he used to get a Jimmycard to play snooker at Wembley so maybe Ronnie, Keith, Jagger and co could arrange a Jimmy card for him to play with The Stones at Wembley :selby:

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:I'm not convinced that 95% of Ronnies ability is still there.
Granted, when he is on it he is still brilliant, but he no longer is able to win matches with ease on his B game.
He hasn't won a ranking event/masters since September 2009. It will be very interesting to see what his ranking is come the end of the season should he choose to only play in the WC.

well we can safely write him off from the China Open with the draw or qualifiers for that not yet done hopefully Ronnie has already withdrawn so that seedings can be done without him in it to stop these W/0.

reading what Dave said the Crucible could be his swan song from Top Ranking Competitions.

i hope not but it doesent look good.

Postby Witz78

Casey wrote:I'm not convinced that 95% of Ronnies ability is still there.

hell still be top 16 at the end of this season but like Hendry and others will find out next season, their poor seasons, lack of playing PTCs etc will suddenly come to the fore when the full effect of winning few points this season takes effect and they have to produce a very good season to just about stay where they are in the rankings, let alone rise up them :scared:

Postby Wildey

yes i think at worst Ronnie will be Ranked 12 or 13 even if he dont hit another ball.