Topic locked

Wednesday - Sunday

Postby SnookerFan

What do people make of this not being a full week tournament then? Does that make any difference?

I accept this is a relatively minor complaint, that the new snooker tournament added to the calendar doesn't last a full week. It's better then it not being there, obviously. Seems a bit odd to me though. It'll be over almost as soon as it starts, type thing. Do people think this will add to the tournament, shortening it down a bit? Or will it detract from it?

And why has Hearn done this? Is it because he is tending towards a 'shorter match/tournament is more exciting' policy? Is it that he wants to test the waters in Germany a bit more, before he makes a week long one? Are there budgetary constraints? Or is it simply that with the arena having more table space, they don't need a week to get through a shorter-format tournament?

At least it's the quarters, and the semis that are in the same day. I didn't think that worked well in the World Open. Having the semis in the afternoon, and the final in the evening. Snooker Final Sunday should feel like an event. Not a rush to get all the matches in. :sad:

I must say, I'm more psyched for this then I was for the World Open, Power Snooker or the Shoot Out. What are other people's thoughts? :bowdown:

Re: Wednesday - Sunday

Postby Wildey

just makes it different with a full Ranking Tournament 5 table set up

puts on 39 matches in 5 days that way if it isn't well attended the cost of staging it would be less than a week tournament so profit will be greater.

jury still out how it will look on TV and will the camera go from table to table if it is open plan...lets wait and see.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:just makes it different with a full Ranking Tournament 5 table set up

puts on 39 matches in 5 days that way if it isn't well attended the cost of staging it would be less than a week tournament so profit will be greater.

jury still out how it will look on TV and will the camera go from table to table if it is open plan...lets wait and see.

I'm hoping it's going to be good to watch. Even if I am going to be at work for half of it, I'm hoping this is a fun tournament to watch. It should be. Just pity it's not a bit longer. :D

Postby randam05

Going to sky + as usual and watch on return from college, but its only eurosport so got to remind myself ALWAYS RECORD THE FEW PROGRAMS AFTER JUST INCASE IT OVER RUNS.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:just makes it different with a full Ranking Tournament 5 table set up

I'm hoping it's going to be good to watch. Even if I am going to be at work for half of it, I'm hoping this is a fun tournament to watch. It should be. Just pity it's not a bit longer. :D

yeh but were getting to a stage now that there's not much room in the calender lol

tomorrow up to thursday theres the championship league then Friday to sunday the shootout then fly over to germany for a wednsday start in this then 2 days later the Qualifyers for the Welsh whitch then follows in 3 days with the Welsh itself then when the welsh over 20th of February there's 4 days before china qualifiers.

so in February there's only 6 days without any snooker and in March only 3 days without any snooker being played.

Postby Roland

It's fair enough having it start on Wednesday really with the open plan nature of it. It will work on tv - the 9-ball pool from CIA worked well. And as for starting on Wednesday, some events a player will start on the Saturday, win their match and then not play again until the Wednesday anyway so I'm sure the players will prefer it.

Postby Smart

Have to say I am completely cool with a Wednesday start in Berlin. Lets recap at what has been achieved in a short space of time........ PTC/EPTCs, sponsors, integrity unit, ranker in mainland Germany. Barry Hearn has made progress and this is one such example.

Also I have to agree you cannot fault the fact that snooker (or variations of it) is taking place a whole lot more which has to be a positive. <ok>

Postby Wildey

and also between tomorrow and the end of the China Open 39 out of 70 days will be televised online or on TV .

with qualifying taking up most of the other days.

Postby Roland

Wild wrote:and also between tomorrow and the end of the China Open 39 out of 70 days will be televised online or on TV .

with qualifying taking up most of the other days.

Wow!

Postby SnookerFan

Interesting points. Good to hear about all that snooker.

Who is watching the Legend of Snooker stream online on February 1st as well? :D

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Interesting points. Good to hear about all that snooker.

Who is watching the Legend of Snooker stream online on February 1st as well? :D

:|

What? Ronnie is playing Jimmy White on the 1st February. You can watch it online.