Topic locked

Your Favourite Match of this Years Worlds

Postby GJ

Now that the 2010 worlds is over i thought it would be nice if we all put up bbc video or youtube video of our favourite match or frame of this years worlds.

My choice is this one

A deciding frame from round 2 only the 2nd part of it was available

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 642142.stm

Re: Your Favourite Match of this Years Worlds

Postby Rocket_ron

GJtheaussiestud wrote:Now that the 2010 worlds is over i thought it would be nice if we all put up bbc video or youtube video of our favourite match or frame of this years worlds.

My choice is this one

A deciding frame from round 2 only the 2nd part of it was available

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 642142.stm

mine is robbos pink in the final, one of the best pressure pots i've ever seen

Postby Bourne

Three strong candidates for me - Dott vs Allen in third, O'Sullivan vs Williams in second but the best had to be Robbo vs Gould. I actually missed the first few frames when Gould hit the front from the off but his performance in that second session to go 11-5 was nothing short of world-class ... bold, assured, stunning shotmaking. Robbo's comeback of course then deserved ultimate respect because Gould would have beaten most players in that match, and then of course the tension of a final-framer, it had everything.

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

No real stand outs for me

Probably Williams - O Sullivan , though honourable mentions for Robertson's comeback against Gould and Hendry's first round match where he played his eleventh match that went to the decider

I really do miss those epic matches between Hendry and White from the 1990s

Postby paperbackwriter

I choose O'Sullivan-Williams- it was so much fun to watch, I couldn't bring myself to go and answer the phone or make coffee or anything, I was glued to my sofa.
But there're also strong runner-ups which I enjoyed for various reasons (which makes it so great everytime). I think I might have been screaming along with the Polish commentator during the last frame of Higgins-Davis match. And it reminds me about Gould and Robertson, Gould played so madly amazing in the second session (haven't seen the first one and to mention great Polish commentators once again, from some moment on they started giggling, having hard time trying to understand what's going on) and then Robertson managed to do something just as unbelievable... it was all fantastically surreal. The match between Hendry and Anda also kept me excited. And 2nd session of O'Sullivan-Selby. Mark Allen also had his moments. And finally the final- well-deserved by both players, filled with unbeliavable tension- undoubtedly worth to watch for me, even though it made Tuesday a very bad day (and it was unfortunately a very important one as well...).

OK, I guess I missed the point and instead of selecting my fav match, showed that I liked so many of them... probably got too inspired by post about "no real stand outs". Also, I've been a little late to talk about everything when it happened, so I hope it's alright to mention it now.

Postby Wildey

ive not answered because i have no favorite outright. the most high standard match was the Ronnie v Williams match but does that make it the best ?

it was so fast you never get to appreciate the full experience of tension at the crucible so its hard to pick just one match each one has different qualities...that what makes snooker so interesting.

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:ive not answered because i have no favorite outright. the most high standard match was the Ronnie v Williams match but does that make it the best ?

it was so fast you never get to appreciate the full experience of tension at the crucible so its hard to pick just one match each one has different qualities...that what makes snooker so interesting.

Indeed, I get much more thrill as a viewer watching two guys struggling, fighting their hearts out but playing badly than seeing one or both players knocking in 70+ in the balls every frame. Don't get me wrong, I respect the most skilful players in these situations, but I just get more out of seeing tight, tense matches.

Postby mediter

Definetely O´Sullivan vs Williams :bowdown: . Actually all their matches in the last few years have been brilliant quality. And no wonder since they are, in my opinion, two the most talented players and they have utmost respect towards others.

Graeme Dott is not my favourite player but you got to give credit where it is due. Beating Ebdon, Maguire, Allen and Selby - that´s pretty amazing. I was really really suprised about that.

Postby SnookerFan

randall wrote:id have to go for davis/higgins, not felt that tense over a game of snooker in a long time.

A definate contender. I was hid behind my cushion for that one... The last time I did that was when Steve was in the semis of the UK Championship in 2005. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

I got bored of Williams vs Ronnie's first session believe it or not, I turned it over to see Neil Robertson coming back against Gould and said to my mate; "How come we didn't watch this one?"

I liked the final, as I said. It was slow-burn, but it kept my interest. Ding vs Higgins was a more exciting match for the UK final, perhaps, but I found myself falling asleep for that one. For some reason I didn't this year. Maybe the enjoyment I got out of the marathon stamina-test was more fun then the match, but I did enjoy it. Maybe, now I've had time to reflect, I'd suggest other matches more...

As stated, the most exciting was Davis' match with Higgins, a classic tale of the underdog winning, tarred somewhat by the Higgins revelations though.

And also, how come we haven't mentioned Selby vs Ronnie. We were all on here arguing about who was going to win. Almost every one of us convinced the one we wanted to win would lose.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote: Maybe the enjoyment I got out of the marathon stamina-test was more fun then the match, but I did enjoy it.

I Agree stamina is what makes the World Championship different to other tournament and stamina test and tiredness the struggle to pot balls is what i want from a World final that what makes snooker and that what made snooker popular not big breaks.