Topic locked

Ronnie - an afterthought

Postby footygirl

WITH so much talk about Ronnie O'Sullivan here on the forum it was particularly sad to note some of the comments here on the forum.

Having seen Ronnie's matches what seems to be the case in my opinion is that Ronnie still enjoys his snooker- the suggestion that he may walk away is laughable.

The Rocket cares deeply about his performance and putting on a show for the fans. Maybe that is the cross to bear for the expectations he places on himself. And as per any sporting genius once the wheels start to fall off a performance so the pressure intensifies. That is when you start to try too hard. And that is what looks like happens to O'Sullivan.

From what Monique told me Ronnie was in a very emotional state after his victory against Mark Williams. He looked surprisingly downbeat, on the verge of tears actually. He asks a lot from himself and when what he produces on the table is not what he would like to produce he feels depressed. and maybe. Ronnie though was giving everything 100% against Mark Selby, certainly for the two first sessions and the first half of the third, but maybe after the match against Williams and the mouting pressure he had nothing left in the tank. In effect he was emotionally spent. All credits to Mak Selby though who handled the pressure perfectly and maintained his high level of play.

So time to cut Ronnie a bit of slack - and let's hope he comes back better than ever next year, The game needs his genius.

Suzy Jardine - The Crucible

Re: Ronnie - an afterthought

Postby Rocket_ron

footygirl wrote:WITH so much talk about Ronnie O'Sullivan here on the forum it was particularly sad to note some of the comments here on the forum.

The Rocket cares deeply about his performance and putting on a show for the fans.

So time to cut Ronnie a bit of slack - and let's hope he comes back better than ever next year, The game needs his genius.

Suzy Jardine - The Crucible

suzy well done and thanks to monique as well for backstage pics and interviews

Postby Monique

SnookerFan wrote:Of course he won't walk, but to be fair, most of the talk of quitting comes from Ronnie himself.

He has in the past indeed, according to the media. However, this time, I attended that press conference and I'm nonplussed at what the media made of it. At no point Ronnie said he wanted to quit. If you read the press BTW you will find no direct quotes ... just that he "hinted" at quitting. This I suppose refers to the fact he said he does not "need" snooker anymore, in answer to a direct question BTW, not spontaneously. "Ronnie, snooker needs you, but do you need snooker?". But even that "quote" was taken out of context, because in the same answer he also insisted on his love of the game, that is is in his blood, that he wants to stay involved whatever the future brings. And to the more direct question about whether he would be there next season, his answer was unequivocal: of course.

Postby Templeton Peck

My view on Ronnie is this: he's a pain in the bottom in his interviews, but you can always hit the mute button! The only thing that really matters is what he does out on the table, and sometimes he sinks but occasionally he produces performances unlike we've ever seen or are ever likely to see again in our lifetimes. It's unlikely he's going to be producing virtuoso displays at 40 so my advice is to sit back and enjoy the those dazzling displays when they come along for the remainder of his career.