Topic locked

Davis vs Taylor 1-Frame Shootout: Who wins ?

Poll ended at 29 Apr 2010

Steve Davis
60%
Dennis Taylor
No votes
Er, who cares ?
40%

Total votes : 10

Re: Davis vs Taylor: The Re-Match !!!!!

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Someone tell Monique I'm at crucible corner. Bloody PM's won't let me send!

you at it aswell <laugh>

anyway Dennis won lol

Postby davis147

It was funny frame! I wish BBC Sports are selling these special edition dvd of the full 35 frames (14 hours and 50 minutes) 1985 world final. It a pity I don't have it on VHS tape.
Last edited by davis147 on 29 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby footygirl

I have just been treated to 45 minutes of magical entertainment as Steve Davis and Dennis Taylor turned back the clock 25 years to the day with a special exhibition match.

Points or who won are immaterial - but the two legends who clashed on that iconic night in the Steel City served up quality entertainment. Both Steve and Dennis certainly made an enterance. Dennis first, to Riverdance with oversized spectacles. If that was a sight to behold then Davis's emergence from behind the famous curtain was something else. Walking on the the theme from Steptoe and Son the Nugget was sporting a ginger wig, a la Mick Hucknell style.

You got the feeling then and there that this was going to be entertainment.

Also in town was Cliff Thorburn, the 1980 world champion given a special welcome and a few safety shots thrown in for good measure. As the banter flowed between the legends so the potting of balls was forgotten. Of course though the balls had to be pottedan and as they came down to the pink the scoreboard was showing Taylor in front 38-31. It was Davis who sunk the pink which brought us to a black ball decider.

At this point there was a twist as both Steve and Dennis re-enacted the cliffhanging black ball moments, shot by shot. But as sure as eggs is eggs it didn't quite go according to the script as Taylor sank the cross table double he had attempted and failed on, he also nailed the long straight black to the corner. Then it was Steve's turn with that infamous black ball. Surprise suprise he sunk it much to the amusement of everyone in the Crucbible Theatre.

But of course that black ball had to be played and Dennis this time missed it before finally concluding the hilarity with a black along the cushion.

All in all a total pleasure to watch even if I was creased up laughing throughout.

Suzy Jardine - The Crucible

Postby SnookerFan

footygirl wrote:I have just been treated to 45 minutes of magical entertainment as Steve Davis and Dennis Taylor turned back the clock 25 years to the day with a special exhibition match.

Points or who won are immaterial - but the two legends who clashed on that iconic night in the Steel City served up quality entertainment. Both Steve and Dennis certainly made an enterance. Dennis first, to Riverdance with oversized spectacles. If that was a sight to behold then Davis's emergence from behind the famous curtain was something else. Walking on the the theme from Steptoe and Son the Nugget was sporting a ginger wig, a la Mick Hucknell style.

You got the feeling then and there that this was going to be entertainment.

Also in town was Cliff Thorburn, the 1980 world champion given a special welcome and a few safety shots thrown in for good measure. As the banter flowed between the legends so the potting of balls was forgotten. Of course though the balls had to be pottedan and as they came down to the pink the scoreboard was showing Taylor in front 38-31. It was Davis who sunk the pink which brought us to a black ball decider.

At this point there was a twist as both Steve and Dennis re-enacted the cliffhanging black ball moments, shot by shot. But as sure as eggs is eggs it didn't quite go according to the script as Taylor sank the cross table double he had attempted and failed on, he also nailed the long straight black to the corner. Then it was Steve's turn with that infamous black ball. Surprise suprise he sunk it much to the amusement of everyone in the Crucbible Theatre.

But of course that black ball had to be played and Dennis this time missed it before finally concluding the hilarity with a black along the cushion.

All in all a total pleasure to watch even if I was creased up laughing throughout.

Suzy Jardine - The Crucible

I dunno about that. <laugh>

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:If the 1985 final happened this year, everybody would accuse Davis of match fixing on the black he kept missing.

lol ... Some of the misses today make Jamie Burnett look like a solid top 4 player

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Bourne wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:If the 1985 final happened this year, everybody would accuse Davis of match fixing on the black he kept missing.

lol ... Some of the misses today make Jamie Burnett look like a solid top 4 player

That's certainly one way of looking at it. <laugh>
Just goes to show how easy it is. :john:

Postby SnookerFan

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
Bourne wrote:

That's certainly one way of looking at it. <laugh>
Just goes to show how easy it is. :john:

Right, we've got it sorted. Steve Davis has cheated his way to six world titles. And to think he has been honoured by Liz as well. :sad: