Topic locked

Re: Betfred.Com World Championship Day 11 Discussion !!!!!

Postby N_Castle07

Mal wrote:I see the Quarter Finals shaping up like this:
Neil Robertson vs Steve Davis - Obviously Davis has exceeded expectations and he will still I'm sure be determined. Robertson beat him 10-2 last year, but before that Davis had got a better record against Robertson than vice versa. I think however, Robertson has had a scare and will not underestimate Steve. He does seem to enjoy the big matches and I think he will beat Steve, but I do think Davis will take it close - 13-9.

Shaun Murphy - Ali Carter - In my opinion, these two players are yet to perform to their best - The Carter - Perry match was tough to watch at times, as was surprisingly Murphy - Ding - Cope didn't give Carter any test at all in the first round and Greene although he put up a mini revival didn't pose Murphy any problems and I thought neither had to produce their best. Carter beat Murphy this time in 2008 convincingly, but I think Murphy will avenge it and I think this will despite their previous performances be a high quality match. 13-11.

Mark Allen - Graeme Dott - In my opinion, along with Mark Selby, the most imrpessive players in the tournament so far. I see people have said Mark Allen hasn't had a great season - Well he won the Jiangus Classic, did well in the championship league, beat Higgins and only lost by the odd frame to Selby in the masters and out of six tournaments, has now made his fourth quarter final. It's just that two first round losses affect the ranking more - Someone who reaches a semi and loses in the first round does the same in points as someone who wins two first round matches and loses the 2nd round. But that's another story. I think he has beat Dott the last two times they have played. Also, Allen does love the big matches and being centre stage - Dott has been there and done it all before of course - If Dott wins, he gets back into the top 16, so perhaps there is a little added pressure there. I take it to be close at the start, but Allen to pull aways 13-7.

Mark Selby - Ronnie O'Sullivan - From 4-2 and 75-0 down, Selby produced sublime snooker against Hendry. Of course, we have seen O'Sullivan do that against Hendry from 4-1 down in the semis. I think it does need brilliant snooker to do that, but it also needs a Stephen Hendry devoid of confidence which he was from losing the seventh frame. Selby will be up for it, but so will Ronnie and I haven't seen him look so determined as he did against Williams for a while now. He didn't play well against Wenbo and if he eases off against Selby he will be punished. I'll go for Selby here as I'd love to see a Selby Allen semi as both their Masters matches have been high quality and played in great spirit between two great characters and it could be just what snooker needs! :excited:

Great analysis Mal enjoyed reading it. However i think Murphy will edge the captin IMO.

Postby Monique

Something doesn't look quite right with Graeme Dott. He's fidgeting with his ears and yawning and swallowing as if he had some problem there. Shame because he played very well in round 2 but today he does not seem to be quite there.

Postby Bourne

case_master wc wrote:So is Mark playing well or is Dott leaving him in all the time?

Allen missed a 7/10 red so Dott's in again with a fair chance ... Bit of both really, Allen not in top gear yet but it's not fair to expect him to be at this early stage. Had three chances amongst the balls and couldn't win a frame at one visit.

Postby Mal

Bourne wrote:
case_master wc wrote:Has he won any of the frames in one visit?

Not yet, had a 50 something as best so far.

[flash=][/flash]

No wins in one visit - he did have a 66 at best - and three breaks just under 40. First two frames he didn't miss a thing aside from a miscue, but he missed an easy one last frame and this frame and Dott is in with a chance.

Case master - i replied to your pm

Postby Casey

It’s a strange match up because its one both players think they should win.

Mark is under pressure because he is the fav to reach the SF’s and Dott because of his top 16 place.

Allen plays better as the under dog so this match would be the last that he plays as fav, so if he can come through it he could really push on

Postby Wildey

case_master wc wrote:It’s a strange match up because its one both players think they should win.

Mark is under pressure because he is the fav to reach the SF’s and Dott because of his top 16 place.

Allen plays better as the under dog so this match would be the last that he plays as fav, so if he can come through it he could really push on

lets face it if hes 4-0 up and struggling being the underdog then he must be over the moon.

Steve Davis making basic Mistakes in the opening exchanges. 3-0 Robbo

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:Well Mark Allen is 4-0 up but TBH he isn't really playing that well. He's left Dott in with chances in every frame, several chances. It's more about Dott not being there than Allen flying.

Yep but as favourite this is the sort of match that is all about the winning not the standard. IF he comes through the next match would be different as he would be the underdog with nothing to lose.

Postby Mal

Monique wrote:Well Mark Allen is 4-0 up but TBH he isn't really playing that well. He's left Dott in with chances in every frame, several chances. It's more about Dott not being there than Allen flying.

Well, you could say the same about most matches - Dott didn't have a real chance the first two frames. He had chances the last two frames, but didn't take them and Mark Allen capitalised. It's the same for all top players- they often leave chances (I will say the same when I watch Ronnie and say his opponent didn't take their chances and if they had it would be different - for example Williams could have been about 12-4 up based on the chances he had and Wenbo should have never been 7-2 down and in the 2nd session should have won every frame) but it's all about who takes them and who doesn't

Postby Wildey

Mal wrote:

Well, you could say the same about most matches - Dott didn't have a real chance the first two frames. He had chances the last two frames, but didn't take them and Mark Allen capitalised. It's the same for all top players- they often leave chances (I will say the same when I watch Ronnie and say his opponent didn't take their chances and if they had it would be different - for example Williams could have been about 12-4 up based on the chances he had and Wenbo should have never been 7-2 down and in the 2nd session should have won every frame) but it's all about who takes them and who doesn't

Fair Comment i know for a fact thats why Selby Plays Ronnie Today but id have said the same had Hendry won....

some matches you get more chances if Ronnie gave Williams as Much chances as he Gave Wenbo in the first Round he would be going home. same thing if Hendry played Davis in the second Round Hendry would be in the Quarter Finals.

Postby Wildey

Eurotrash wrote:'if Hendry played Davis in the second Round Hendry would be in the Quarter Finals.'

Unlikely. Hendry was taught a lesson by a child in the first round and - going on the dreadful form he has displayed this week - would have been taught another one by the Nugget. <ok>

Hendry played better Against Selby than Davis played against Higgins...FACT!!!

if anyone has played like a child this year its Higgins.

Postby Wildey

Eurotrash wrote:'Hendry played better Against Selby than Davis played against Higgins...FACT!!!'

You're slightly off base there. I would rate Hendry's 'performance' as on a par with Graeme Dott this morning. <ok>

i know Steve was on a par with donald duck <ok>

last time John played this poor at the WC was in 1995 on his debut against Mcmanus.

Postby Wildey

im torn on The Allen v Dott match i like Allen i think he is definitely a candidate to win but Also Dott i want to see him back at the top Hes a great player that gets this title of Worst Ever WC.....theres no such thing some are more successful than others overall but for 17 Days in April/May 2006 He went through the mill with a tough draw to earn the right to be called World Champion.

Postby Smart

davis147 wrote:Cheers all for the supportive of me!

It a pity, I feel really great, raring to go and can't wait for the match to start at 10am (feel very confident and in the winning mood!) Myself and Neil had been on the practice table this morning since 7am for 2 hours, now having breakfast then off to shower!

<laugh> rofl :wave: