Topic locked

Betfred.Com World Championship Day 5 Discussion !!!!!

Postby Wildey

The Crucible Theatre, Sheffield (17 April – 3 May 2010)

Wednesday 21 April

Results

Ding Junhui 10-1 Stuart Pettman
Ryan Day 8-10 Mark Davis
Neil Robertson 10-5 Fergal O’Brien
Peter Ebdon 5-10 Graeme Dott

Re: Betfred.Com World Championship Day 5 Discussion !!!!!

Postby N_Castle07

I’m looking forward to seeing how Murphy is cueing today. I’ll post my thoughts on the Davis match here as yesterday’s thread is now locked.

I thought Davis produced his best performance of the season last night he won 4 frames on the trot after being 2 frames behind. And then when King pulled 2 back he made a brilliant 1 frame visit and showed true determination and experience in the decider. It was clear to see that King was unsettled last night, you could see it in his body language. However I think this was because Davis was keeping it so tight and playing excellent safety. We all know Davis has not got a great chance next round against the current World Champion and next season’s World Number One but I’m so please Davis has reached the 16 at the age of 52. I hope he plays well next season and I would love to see him make his 31st appearance this time next year. To me a match like that is more exciting than ton after ton after ton, it was pure drama right to the end. COME ON DAVIS.

Postby Wildey

Great win for Steve but lets be frank in the grand scheme of things it was a poor performance at top class level the only thing that let him win was Kings poor break-building now that will not be a problem for Higgins and i can see the match finishing in 2 sessions.

hope steve proves me wrong and somehow win the match but cant see it for toffe lol

Postby Roland

Steve did fantastic last night, two shots in particular in the deciding frame. That's mission accomplished for him, tournament over now. Higgins will win pretty comfortably in round 2 and yes, he can do the job in 2 sessions if he's feeling mean enough.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Morning All.

Just back from London Town. Had serious fun & games trying to get home. We were supposed to be in Spain right now but that's gone tit's up as well.

Looking on the bright side, I still have the week off so some serious Snooker watching for me. I was in the Crucible on Saturday doing a shoot with the beeb for the 25th anniversary of the Steve Davis & Dennis Taylor final, which I'll let you know more about nearer the time. Ryan Day & Mark Davis will be a close run thing this morning me thinks. :chin:

All good & nice to be home. :)

Sonny wrote:Morning John, glad you got back ok. So in your opinion, what was the shot to play here:

(Deciding frame, 20 point lead)

Sound Sonny. The 20 point lead, the person who has the shot has the 20 point lead? I didn't see it myself (obviously) so let me know that bit & I'll have a good look. :)

Postby GJ

ebdon almost out of the top 16 the joke from stoke will get in by default unless group leader makes the quarters

Postby Roland

Yes John it was Steve Davis in the situation with a 20 point lead and his shot.

This for me was Davis shot of the match:

He HAD to jaw the red, if it had gone in he's screwed (the black wasn't there it was near the yellow, I missed that when drawing), if he doesn't get close enough the red comes back down the table. He hit it to perfection. The knowledgable crowd all went "OOOOOOOOooooohhhhhhh" but it was a stunning shot by the master tactician. He deserved to win based on that shot alone.

Postby Eirebilly

It was an absolutely stunning shot from Davis Sonny. At first i couldnt believe that he was going for the pot because he was leaving himself in all sorts. It was only after the balls were still that i saw what he meant and thought immediately Wow, that was brilliant and ballsy at the same time.

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
Sonny wrote:Morning John, glad you got back ok. So in your opinion, what was the shot to play here:

(Deciding frame, 20 point lead)

Sound Sonny. The 20 point lead, the person who has the shot has the 20 point lead? I didn't see it myself (obviously) so let me know that bit & I'll have a good look. :)

Iooking at the angles, I would have played the red nearest the black with a soft screw, knocking the black onto the side cushion between the middle & yellow pocket leaving the red I hit on the side cusion lto the right of me & leaving the cue ball back on the cushion closest to me. What did he play? :chin:

Postby GJ

anyway the quarterfinal line upi wnat with ebdon virtually out is

higgins v robbo

ding v group leader

allen v dott

williams v selby

Postby Roland

Good answer, he played that shot albeit slightly harder so the black ended around the baulk colours and red in the middle of the table but he got a good white. I was scratching my head a bit and noted the ball positions for later but he played the right shot.

Sonny wrote:Good answer, he played that shot albeit slightly harder so the black ended around the baulk colours and red in the middle of the table but he got a good white. I was scratching my head a bit and noted the ball positions for later but he played the right shot.

I was well pleased to see that he won all the same. I love the guy for what he has done for our game & the way he plays it.

Jamie Cope got hammered too? Surprised to see that result. Was his potting game off?

Postby Roland

He had a shot to go to 2-2, basically wrong side of the blue with pink on the bottom cushion below the black. He was just off straight and had to hammer the blue to send the white into baulk and back down for pink. He hit it to perfection but the blue hit the back of the pocket and came back out onto the table. You could see by the look on his face that it knocked him sideways and he never really recovered.

It was frustrating to watch though, he was giving shots no thought once it got to 4-1 and he was hitting and hoping out of safeties and he was getting down on the shot and starting his backswing before he'd even got into position properly and he looked like he'd given up. Then at 6-1 he looked like he'd finally got a frame on the board and Carter pulled off one of the clearances of the tournament so far to deny him. So Carter was solid and Cope had gone and that's why the result was like that.

Incidentally, live scoring is wait for World Snooker to SORT IT OUT!!!!

Sound men.

I was surprised to see Joe Perry beat the Michael Holt fella too.

I'm looking forward to watching the Ryan Day & Mark Davis conclusion this morning. They'll be a lot of pressure out there & good safety & high scoring with who holds their bottle best will prevail in my book.

A quick shout out too for the Hallenberg fella on here who got back to me very quickly after I forgot my password to login. <ok>