Topic locked

Re: Betfred.Com World Championship 1st Round Discussion !!!!

Postby Roland

It's disgraceful people like me have to hide our pop up windows. Yeah I'm totally distracted at work, although thankfully I'm only at work Tuesday to Friday next week and only one big session will be missed - part 2 of Ronnie v Wenbo.

Postby Sickpotter

I kind of fancy Carter over Cope.

Cope might be the more exciting player but I feel Carter's experience will get him by.

IMO, Carter's rise in the rankings is more due to other players lack of experience than to his game being significantly better.

I think Cope will try too many shots and Carter will patiently work on creating his opportunities.

Postby Wildey

i think it will be a great match and looking forward to it one of the standout matches.

but i think carter might have to much for cope over this distance especially.

Postby Smart

rocket_ron wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:10am tomorrow - THIS is the thread to be commenting on....... bookmarked. <ok>

agreed i have this bookmarked too, this is the place to be.

this thread is for serious WUMsters from siberia and chesterfield respectivly

R-ron - time to up the ante now - you better put in some hours to this forum............ perhaps you can top the 4000 mark by the end of the 1st week - the ball is in your court. <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:10am tomorrow - THIS is the thread to be commenting on....... bookmarked. <ok>

agreed i have this bookmarked too, this is the place to be.

this thread is for serious WUMsters from siberia and chesterfield respectivly

R-ron - time to up the ante now - you better put in some hours to this forum............ perhaps you can top the 4000 mark by the end of the 1st week - the ball is in your court. <ok>

:scared: :scared:

some serious WUMing coming to an island near you

Postby Eirebilly

Does anyone give Doherty a chance against Selby?? Ken is a banana skin for Selby and will prove to be a tough nut to crack but he is the kind of opponant that Selby needs in the first roud i feel. I feel that Ken will push him and put him in a great mind set for the rest of the tournement.

Postby Roland

Not me, I'm hopefully right in saying Doherty will pose Selby no threat and the result in the Grand Prix was a fluke result. Selby was motoring from the off, took his eye off game ball in frame 2 and then the luck changed and Doherty had some serious run of the ball to get to 4-3, then in the last frame Selby was again near the winning post and had more bad luck I think sinking a colour with a pot red or vice versa and that was that. He won't be making the same mistakes again. He needs daylight after session 1 then it should be a breeze into round 2. If he goes behind even at 5-4 then I will start to be worried.

Postby Wildey

eirebilly wrote:Does anyone give Doherty a chance against Selby?? Ken is a banana skin for Selby and will prove to be a tough nut to crack but he is the kind of opponant that Selby needs in the first roud i feel. I feel that Ken will push him and put him in a great mind set for the rest of the tournement.

after the first 4 frames how this match goes will be defined. Ken is desparate for a good start.

Postby Eirebilly

How many times do we see a player, who comes through a very hard 1st round match, gain loads of confidence and form. I feel that Ken is the perfect player for Selby to meet in the first round as he will get Selby into that matchplaying frame of mind that will suit him well for the rest of the tournement.

Postby Bourne

Selby's speciality is to win matches the hard way, and I can't see Ken making it easy that's for sure ... but Selby is a class act and should have more than enough in the locker to fight through in the end with a little bit to spare. R2 will be a step up in class.

Postby Eirebilly

Bourne wrote:Selby's speciality is to win matches the hard way, and I can't see Ken making it easy that's for sure ... but Selby is a class act and should have more than enough in the locker to fight through in the end with a little bit to spare. R2 will be a step up in class.

Thats Kens speciality as well Bourne <cool> . I just think that Ken will play Selby into championship winning form. To beat Ken at the worlds you have to have some composure and not just skill. I feel that Selby will learn alot from playing Ken at Sheffield and will benefit from it.

Postby Roland

Doherty is in my all time top 10 favourite players. I respect him enormously and he's famous for playing above his A game against the best opposition. The fact he's playing one of the form horses usually lifts him, but his form since he was last in the 16 is baffling and for that reason I don't think he's the player he was, as in he's below the level of the player he should be at his age.

Postby Eirebilly

Fair play Sonny. Just dont underestimate Ken there, he is a tough nut to crack over the longer formats even out of form. This year he is bringing a bit of form and confidence into the worlds. I standby my thoughts that he is the best player to get the best out of Selby at an early stage and set him up for his titel challenge.