Topic locked

Re: Your favourite Crucible champions

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:his snooker play itself may not be boring but because its him doing it, it makes it boring to me and many others (come on, speak up....i know yous are out there!)

He is just so boring words cannot describe how dull i find the man.

i understand what you saying but i find it strange you think that because i find John a throwback to the 80s percentage play Davis used to play and i find John a modern version of Davis so how come your a Davis fan and find Higgins boring i find that contradicting yourself.

i do see similarities in Davis and Higgins and to be honest i didnt used to like Davis but since his decline set in and he became popular ive became a massive fan of the guy, and in total admiration for his dedication and longevity in the sport. :bowdown:

Postby mediter

I think Johh Higgins and Hendry both have a very steady rhythm to play. Englishmen like O´Sullivan, White, Ebdon, Selby and even Steve Davis all have more fireworks and suprises. Not to even mention Cope or Trump here but they are not exactly champions type (at least yet).

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:his snooker play itself may not be boring but because its him doing it, it makes it boring to me and many others (come on, speak up....i know yous are out there!)

i understand what you saying but i find it strange you think that because i find John a throwback to the 80s percentage play Davis used to play and i find John a modern version of Davis so how come your a Davis fan and find Higgins boring i find that contradicting yourself.

i do see similarities in Davis and Higgins and to be honest i didnt used to like Davis but since his decline set in and he became popular ive became a massive fan of the guy, and in total admiration for his dedication and longevity in the sport. :bowdown:

in 10 years you might like hendry then <laugh>

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:i understand what you saying but i find it strange you think that because i find John a throwback to the 80s percentage play Davis used to play and i find John a modern version of Davis so how come your a Davis fan and find Higgins boring i find that contradicting yourself.

Wilds right here, JH is a new style Steve Davis and witz loves steve davis

Postby Wildey

mediter

fireworks and Steve Davis goes together like eating soup with a fork lol

Postby Witz78

mediter wrote:I think Johh Higgins and Hendry both have a very steady rhythm to play. Englishmen like O´Sullivan, White, Ebdon, Selby and even Steve Davis all have more fireworks and suprises. Not to even mention Cope or Trump here but they are not exactly champions type (at least yet).

i agree <ok> these bores gives Scotland a bad name, no wonder ive defected my loyalties elsewhere...... :innocent:

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:i understand what you saying but i find it strange you think that because i find John a throwback to the 80s percentage play Davis used to play and i find John a modern version of Davis so how come your a Davis fan and find Higgins boring i find that contradicting yourself.

ron,

i only love the new style Davis, not the 80s version which is what Higgins is like

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:ron,

i only love the new style Davis, not the 80s version which is what Higgins is like

:huh2:
he plays pretty much the same game, all thats changed is his personallity. he has reinvented his personallity

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

no cos in 10 years time hendry will either be long gone from professional snooker or he will still be around, but still playing the Mr Dour and spouting the old line of "Im playing well in practice and can still win the world championship" line <doh>

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:i agree <ok> these bores gives Scotland a bad name, no wonder ive defected my loyalties elsewhere...... :innocent:

where? the welsh? <laugh>

nah the english <ok>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:

ron,

he only loves the steve davis he sees play on TV once every 3 or 4 tournaments he loves the Steve Davis Robbo beat 10-2 last year <laugh>

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:ron,

:huh2:
he plays pretty much the same game, all thats changed is his personallity. he has reinvented his personallity

exactly, thats why i like SD now :clap:

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:
in 10 years time hendry will either be long gone from professional snooker or he will still be around, but still playing the Mr Dour and spouting the old line of "Im playing well in practice and can still win the world championship" line <doh>

true he wont stick around as long as davis, and he certainly wont reinvent himself
Last edited by Rocket_ron on 14 Mar 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

mediter wrote:Did I say Steve Davis ? I meant to say Robert Milkins <laugh>

Steve Davis= ginger 6 times world and UK Champion or Robert Milkins yes i see what confused you there <laugh>

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:

ron,

he only loves the steve davis he sees play on TV once every 3 or 4 tournaments he loves the Steve Davis Robbo beat 10-2 last year <laugh>

thats a bit harsh Wild after all the guys achieved taking a cheap shot like that.

Anyway ive probably been a Davis fan since around the 97 Masters final when he truly became a character

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Anyway ive probably been a Davis fan since around the 97 Masters final when he truly became a character

explain

yes explain i thought he was a character when spitting image made him a puppet.

Steve "interesting" Davis <laugh>

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Anyway ive probably been a Davis fan since around the 97 Masters final when he truly became a character

explain

well in the early to mid 90s he still believed he could win things despite Hendrys dominance suggesting otherwise.

Then he seemed to accept he wasnt getting any younger in an increasingly young mans game, so began to relax and express himself.

There was the funny incident with the streaker at the start of the final where before Davis would probably not even have acknowledged it such was his intensity around the table.

By now the fans were starting to warm to the new Davos anyway and this has continued for the last 15 years or so. Thats why i had a go at Wild, because its wrong to suggest Davis hasnt done anything since he became a character and popular. Weve had more than just the occasional heavy Round 1 loss to see our man in.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:

explain

yes explain i thought he was a character when spitting image made him a puppet.

Steve "interesting" Davis <laugh>

that was a p1ss take, cos he was so UNintersting back then.

They even had a Hendry puppet that potted the balls by squeezing his spots puss onto the balls to hit them into the pockets rofl rofl rofl rofl

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:well in the early to mid 90s he still believed he could win things despite Hendrys dominance suggesting otherwise.

Then he seemed to accept he wasnt getting any younger in an increasingly young mans game, so began to relax and express himself.

There was the funny incident with the streaker at the start of the final where before Davis would probably not even have acknowledged it such was his intensity around the table.

By now the fans were starting to warm to the new Davos anyway and this has continued for the last 15 years or so. Thats why i had a go at Wild, because its wrong to suggest Davis hasnt done anything since he became a character and popular. Weve had more than just the occasional heavy Round 1 loss to see our man in.

I disagree with 1997 as the starting point as steve davis didnt even raise a smile when the streaker come on, everyone else was laughing. davis was still his old self in 1997 i think your looking more towards 2000's

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:well in the early to mid 90s he still believed he could win things despite Hendrys dominance suggesting otherwise.

I disagree with 1997 as the starting point as steve davis didnt even raise a smile when the streaker come on, everyone else was laughing. davis was still his old self in 1997 i think your looking more towards 2000's

he might have raise somit else though and he was trying to keep it under control <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Sorry guys.... I didn't realise my comment originally on Ronnie would whip up such a storm.

I'd say my favourite Crucible champions were either Ken Doherty or Mark Williams. The 2003 final was good.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

If he likes people purely for being past their best, he'll like Hendry in ten minutes.

Postby Cheesyman99

SnookerFan wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhh....
Controversial!

If he likes people purely for being past their best, he'll like Hendry in ten minutes.