Topic locked

Your favourite Crucible champions

Postby Witz78

Rank the Crucible winners of the World Champions to date in your personal order of preference.

The list of players is (as im sure you all know ;) )

Spencer
Reardon
Griffiths
Thorburn
Davis
A.Higgins
Taylor
Johnson
Hendry
Parrott
Doherty
J.Higgins
Williams
O'Sullivan
Ebdon
Murphy
Dott

Re: Your favourite Crucible champions

Postby Witz78

REALLY LIKE

1-A.Higgins
2-O'Sullivan
3-Ebdon
4-Davis (though didnt reall like him when he was dominant)

5-Taylor
6-Thorburn
7-Griffiths

DONT MIND THESE GUYS BUT NOT REALLY A FAN

8-Reardon
9-Williams
10-Doherty
11-Spencer

DISLIKE

12-Johnson

REALLY DISLIKE
13-Parrott
14-Murphy
15-J.Higgins
16-Dott
17-Hendry

Postby mediter

I really like O´Sullivan and Ebdon too. O´Sullivan because he´s so amanzingly good player and a great bloke too (although his comments can be a bit "strange" sometimes..). I suppose Ebdon is a pretty strange player to like but I just like him and his snooker..

Not that I really dislike any of these players but I found many of them a bit boring to watch. I must say that I enjoyed Shaun Murphy´s attacking snooker when he won the title. But last year watching him was like watching paint dry.

Postby Witz78

mediter wrote:I really like O´Sullivan and Ebdon too. O´Sullivan because he´s so amanzingly good player and a great bloke too (although his comments can be a bit "strange" sometimes..). I suppose Ebdon is a pretty strange player to like but I just like him and his snooker..

Not that I really dislike any of these players but I found many of them a bit boring to watch. I must say that I enjoyed Shaun Murphy´s attacking snooker when he won the title. But last year watching him was like watching paint dry.

Yes i admire Ronnie for the man he is and the player he is. A bit of a rebel like myself, and as for Ebdon, hes a rebel too in a totally different way and i love his "this is what im like and i couldnt give a t0ss what you all think" attitude.

A much as i admired Murphys great attacking and potting shown in 2005 on his way to the title, it was just impossible to warm to him as he came across as smug and arrogant, and the archetypal pantomime villian.

I actually feel he has compromised some of his exciting attacking play since his title win, perhaps this is down to him developing more of an all round game now though.

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:A much as i admired Murphys great attacking and potting shown in 2005 on his way to the title, it was just impossible to warm to him as he came across as smug and arrogant, and the archetypal pantomime villian.

wasn't murphy's dad on the WSA board?

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:A much as i admired Murphys great attacking and potting shown in 2005 on his way to the title, it was just impossible to warm to him as he came across as smug and arrogant, and the archetypal pantomime villian.

wasn't murphy's dad on the WSA board?

yes and didnt Murphy get lots of easy round 1 draws :huh:

Postby Wildey

didnt dislike any disliking is for idiots and losers but heres mine in order.

1.A.Higgins
2.Hendry
3.Williams
4.Parrott
5.Thorburn
6.Doherty
7.Johnson
8.Taylor
9.O'Sullivan
10.Dott
11.Reardon
12.Griffiths
13.Ebdon
14.Spencer
15.J.Higgins
16.Davis
17.Murphy

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:didnt dislike any disliking is for idiots and losers

No comment....cough witz cough cough :wave:

they played snooker nothing life and death and i really hated Steve Davis when i was 12 or 13 but i grew out of it with puberty he was not 1 of my favorite players back then but i learned to respect him.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:didnt dislike any disliking is for idiots and losers but heres mine in order.

1.A.Higgins
2.Hendry
3.Williams
4.Parrott
5.Thorburn
6.Doherty
7.Johnson
8.Taylor
9.O'Sullivan
10.Dott
11.Reardon
12.Griffiths
13.Ebdon
14.Spencer
15.J.Higgins
16.Davis
17.Murphy

WOW - Im surprised to see you have Alex above Hendry? :cracker:

And Ronnie so high up the list? :clap:

Was shocked to see John Higgins so low down, i thought you were a fan

Postby Wildey

im more of a Ronnie fan than a higgins fan...

possibly the reason i got den and joe so high is i was willing them on so much to beat steve as i said before puberty lol

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:

OK maybe hate is the wrong word but i strongly dislike these players so why try and lie and kid everyone one that i like them when i clearly dont.

Its natural in sport, and all walks of life that different people take a liking to certain people and a dislike to others. Its just human nature.

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:

OK maybe hate is the wrong word but i strongly dislike these players so why try and lie and kid everyone one that i like them when i clearly dont.

Its natural in sport, and all walks of life that different people take a liking to certain people and a dislike to others. Its just human nature.

everyone likes and dislikes players, its normal

I really like ronnie, ken, neil and John higgins
I dislike ebdon and selby

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:What's your problem with Selby RR?

I just cant seem to warm to im, i dont think i like his attitude, cant put my finger on it but just cant seem to get him.
must note though its not a hate just a dislike.

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:witz,
do you care to elaborate on

DISLIKE
12-Johnson

REALLY DISLIKE
15-J.Higgins

Johnson - i found him dull and boring at the time, and resented the fact he was a flash in the pan world champion, much as i do with Dott.

J Higgins - as good as he is, i find him incredibly boring to watch, hes a dour and boring person. And hes old before his time.

Postby Wildey

people are different but me personally want for the next 3 or 4 years a Ronnie v Selby revelry to really take off.....its magical when they meet its a pity Hendry will come between them at Sheffield but theres next season.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:people are different but me personally want for the next 3 or 4 years a Ronnie v Selby revelry to really take off.....its magical when they meet its a pity Hendry will come between them at Sheffield but theres next season.

rofl

its funny cos a few years ago everyone thought a Ronnie - Selby rivalry was about to become a regular subplot in snooker, but Selby took a step back before he bounced back in the UK this year.

A few seasons ago when it appeared Higgins was no longer a threat, we saw a new Big 4 being heralded of Ronnie, Murphy, Maguire and Selby. For one reason or another this was shortlived.

One player who needs to look at himself in the mirror. I like the guy but his attitude as a professional sucks.

Postby Roland

I have nothing but the highest respect for JH. Last year he beat 2 of my favourite players 13-12 (Cope and Selby) and in both he came from behind (12-10 and 12-11) and in both I couldn't complain afterwards. The only gripe with Cope was that roll off in the slate join with the trickle up to baulk colour but that wasn't Higgins fault and to his credit he didn't give Cope a single chance from that point on. The Selby match was decided after the snookers required stage at 11-11. Selby had the frame won, but Higgins made him sweat and it was matchplay of the highest possible order for him to obtain a momentum swing in a frame he lost. Of course Selby took on that risky plant with reds well spaced out in the next frame and had it gone in who knows, but even so Higgins class won him those two matches and I was there to witness both and watching him live I have no idea why anyone can find him boring to watch because he's a master craftsman and one of the finest snooker players that's ever lived. It was an absolute honour to watch him.

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:me personally want for the next 3 or 4 years a Ronnie v Selby revelry to really take off.

I hope wild that is a jinx, as i couldn't cope with it. i didn't manage vey well ronnie v williams, I sorta managed ronnie v john H but i wont manage ronnie v selby

Postby Wildey

i second that respecting the man comes without question however Ronnie v Higgins match up for me hasn't got nowhere near the feel or ring of a Ronnie v Selby match has.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:I have nothing but the highest respect for JH. Last year he beat 2 of my favourite players 13-12 (Cope and Selby) and in both he came from behind (12-10 and 12-11) and in both I couldn't complain afterwards. The only gripe with Cope was that roll off in the slate join with the trickle up to baulk colour but that wasn't Higgins fault and to his credit he didn't give Cope a single chance from that point on. The Selby match was decided after the snookers required stage at 11-11. Selby had the frame won, but Higgins made him sweat and it was matchplay of the highest possible order for him to obtain a momentum swing in a frame he lost. Of course Selby took on that risky plant with reds well spaced out in the next frame and had it gone in who knows, but even so Higgins class won him those two matches and I was there to witness both and watching him live I have no idea why anyone can find him boring to watch because he's a master craftsman and one of the finest snooker players that's ever lived. It was an absolute honour to watch him.

his snooker play itself may not be boring but because its him doing it, it makes it boring to me and many others (come on, speak up....i know yous are out there!)

He is just so boring words cannot describe how dull i find the man.

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:me personally want for the next 3 or 4 years a Ronnie v Selby revelry to really take off.

I hope wild that is a jinx, as i couldn't cope with it. i didn't manage vey well ronnie v williams, I sorta managed ronnie v john H but i wont manage ronnie v selby

lets hope you don't manage well for the next few years then rofl

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:his snooker play itself may not be boring but because its him doing it, it makes it boring to me and many others (come on, speak up....i know yous are out there!)

He is just so boring words cannot describe how dull i find the man.

i understand what you saying but i find it strange you think that because i find John a throwback to the 80s percentage play Davis used to play and i find John a modern version of Davis so how come your a Davis fan and find Higgins boring i find that contradicting yourself.