Topic locked

Re: Liang Wenbo v Ronnie O'Sullivan

Postby Roland

Fair point. Allen certainly had the more fight in him in the last session. I don't remember the other sessions to be honest.

Postby Monique

You said Wild ... in Sheffield first round. It doesn't matter what you have done before, it's there and then that counts. And there and then Allen was on form and confident and his interviews as well as his run in the tournament prove it: he made it to the semis and gave Higgins a scare.

Another example. In 2005/2006 Higgins had won the GP and the Masters, yet he fell flat on his face in Sheffield and lost first round, 4-10 to Selby. What he had done before didn't matter.

Postby Wildey

in sheffield first round no matter how you look at it Allen played well but Ronnie played better.

yes his long game wasn't great neither was Allen's he got in with gould mistakes just as much as Ronnie got in with bingham's mistakes.

so i don't get how the bloody hell did allen go in to the match with more sodding confidence than Ronnie did ????

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:in sheffield first round no matter how you look at it Allen played well but Ronnie played better.

yes his long game wasn't great neither was Allen's he got in with gould mistakes just as much as Ronnie got in with bingham's mistakes.

so i don't get how the bloody hell did allen go in to the match with more sodding confidence than Ronnie did ????

Well you don't get it. That wont change the facts. Allen was brimming with confidence before that match as his interviews prove and Ronnie was not, as his interview proves also.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:in sheffield first round no matter how you look at it Allen played well but Ronnie played better.

Well you don't get it. That wont change the facts. Allen was brimming with confidence before that match as his interviews prove and Ronnie was not, as his interview proves also.

that tells me Allen wasn't frightened of Ronnie so Ronnie was rubbish scared of Allen ???

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Monique wrote:

that tells me Allen wasn't frightened of Ronnie so Ronnie was poo scared of Allen ???

No Wild... can't you not understand the difference between being "scared" of someone and knowing you are not on your game and not feeling confident about it?
Allen had said after his first match that he expected to beat Ronnie. Expected. If that does not speak of confidence I wonder what does.
Ronnie had said after his first round match that he was happy to be through because, considering the state of his game, he was expecting to get beat actually.

Postby Bourne

Allen had said after his first match that he expected to beat Ronnie. Expected. If that does not speak of confidence I wonder what does.

Do you have a link of this quote, thanks.

Postby Monique

a few links

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/spor ... -21309598/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_s ... 015260.stm

after the match. Ronnie restating he didn't feel confident and expected to lose first round, Allen stating he did feel confident even when lead after sesh 2, and quotes of his interview prematch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... cible.html
just after second sesh. See the title and subtitle.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
Monique wrote:

that tells me Allen wasn't frightened of Ronnie so Ronnie was poo scared of Allen ???

No Wild... can't you not understand the difference between being "scared" of someone and knowing you are not on your game and not feeling confident about it?
Ronnie had said after his first round match that he was happy to be through because, considering the state of his game, he was expecting to get beat actually.

mon after scoring 2 90s and 1 100s in the last 3 frames of his previous match if ronnie not confident he will never be confident ....

sorry but again thats totall bolloxxx Ronnie expected to get beat for christ sakes and people say he is the best player in the world....best players in the world NEVER Expect to lose a thing.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Mon. Ronnie O'Sullivan's perception of himself playing badly is similar to the rest of us mere mortals suggesting Ronnie's only playing well today. "He's only winning his match's 5-3 / 5-4."

You must know as well as I do by now Mon that you take what the Man says about his own game with a pinch of salt.

What I have learnt about the Man is that just because he says he doesn't necessarily feel good about his game before he plays a match, doesn't ever mean that he won't necessarily play good during his match.

Postby SnookerFan

This is a retarded argument. How would we know how confident either of them felt, and even if we did, does it matter now?

Was Dennis Taylor confident when 8-0 down in the 1985 final? Was Alex Higgins confident he could give up the drink and make a new start in life? Who gives a buck?

Postby Monique

Well Wild that's exactly what people don't get with Ronnie. Yes he isn't confident most of the time and whatever his performances look like in others eyes. There is nothing rational to it. It's part of suffering from depressions. Once again there is nothing rational to it, it's how he feels it and for him it's real and painfull.
I've seen him cry, actually cry, after matches he'd just won, with centuries and all. It's not bullocks; it's how he is and feels.
You can chose not to believe it, you may not get it, I can't help it. I just know what I've seen and heard.

When he's well in himself he's an extremely strong pressure player, when he's unwell he's more vulnerable. That does not mean I put all his defeats on depression. He has been beaten often simply because the other guy played better, and on that day Allen did play better. I'm just stating that Ronnie knew he wasn't in the best state of mind neither had the best of form before that match and he wasn't confident while Allen was.
Last edited by Monique on 12 Mar 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Monique

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:Mon. Ronnie O'Sullivan's perception of himself playing badly is similar to the rest of us mere mortals suggesting Ronnie's only playing well today. "He's only winning his match's 5-3 / 5-4."

You must know as well as I do by now Mon that you take what the Man says about his own game with a pinch of salt.

What I have learnt about the Man is that just because he says he doesn't necessarily feel good about his game before he plays a match, doesn't ever mean that he won't necessarily play good during his match.

I agree John. Sometimes he doesn't feel good and still plays well. And sometimes he does feel good and just can't do it at the table. I'm sure you know the feeling. It happens to all. However usually not feeling confident does not help ...
And sometimes it's a handful of salt you need with him. I know that too. But on this particular occasion, I'm certain of what I state. And it had been like that for most of the season ... since he had lost to Ricky in the Shanghai Final in fact.

Postby Monique

StalinESQ wrote:...Mon any link to Tuesdays photos yet......?

Coming this week-end ... I've a full time work yanno ;)
And yeah, no joke, I made 147 of them pics. Not that it was planned!

Postby Wildey

mon

ive known you a long time and i consider you a friend so i dont want to fall out or to argue with you i respect you but recently and don't take this the wrong way but your posts has gone more and more seif like whitch is concerning.

yes snookerfan this argument is stupid but as yet ive not had a sensible reply to a question why was Allen more confident than Ronnie when quite clearly Allens built up to the Worlds was marmite.

im fed up of Ronnie fans using this head nonsense all the time why he loses he lost because Allen out played him not because he did not fancy the job he was WC Defending his title against someone that had won only 2 match including Gould at the crucible before.

Postby Roland

wild I watched Allen live at the Crucible last year and he was brimming with confidence from day 1 of his first round match. Everyone knows O'Sullivan isn't the most confident of people. I don't think the statement is too far off the mark. The fact O'Sullivan lacks confidence doesn't tend to stop him playing godly snooker. He says himself sometimes he thinks he's going to miss every ball when on the outside it looks like he's not going to miss a thing.

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:mon

ive known you a long time and i consider you a friend so i dont want to fall out or to argue with you i respect you but recently and don't take this the wrong way but your posts has gone more and more seif like whitch is concerning.

yes snookerfan this argument is stupid but as yet ive not had a sensible reply to a question why was Allen more confident than Ronnie when quite clearly Allens built up to the Worlds was nail clippings.

im fed up of Ronnie fans using this head nonsense all the time why he loses he lost because Allen out played him not because he did not fancy the job he was WC Defending his title against someone that had won only 2 match including Gould at the crucible before.

Wild I'm not doing that and I never said he lost because he was low on confidence, just that he was which I know for fact. ROS lost because Allen played better, that's all. It's people reading things in my posts that aren't there that infuriates me. Stating facts is not "making excuses", it's just stating facts. And regarding Seifer, I'm not like him and I don't like him.
There is no reply to "why" one of them was confident and the other was not, no reply that I know. I just know what both did say before and after their matches and I have supplied links giving evidence I didn't make it up.

Postby Smart

I think its fair to say that Mon has the inside track here regarding ROS..........

I also think that whereas, normally, a defending champion should be brimful of confidence etc etc - this has never been the case with ROS - he is not your everyday champion.

Not an excuse but he obviously is very complex so if Mon says he was not at all confident (and in fairness) - she is better placed to say this, also she has provided some evidence in terms of links.

Allen was looking pretty cool and calm when I met him at the Novotel - so the theory of him being confident is further backed up.

It is a bit of a silly argument all the same. :wave:

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:wild I watched Allen live at the Crucible last year and he was brimming with confidence from day 1 of his first round match. Everyone knows O'Sullivan isn't the most confident of people. I don't think the statement is too far off the mark. The fact O'Sullivan lacks confidence doesn't tend to stop him playing godly snooker. He says himself sometimes he thinks he's going to miss every ball when on the outside it looks like he's not going to miss a thing.

the fact Ronnie lacks confidence he shouldn't win marmite and he does win tournaments so its not that big a issue....

people are blowing what he sais out of all common sense you dont need to be einstine to work out when someone playing well and they don't.

Ronnie scored 2 centuries and 7 half centuries in that match compared to Allen 3 centuries and 5 half centuries yes it does not prove everything but for buck sakes come on talk sense on this instead of the bucking marmite im hearing from people.

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:
people are blowing what he sais out of all common sense you dont need to be einstine to work out when someone playing well and they don't.

rofl

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Sonny wrote:wild I watched Allen live at the Crucible last year and he was brimming with confidence from day 1 of his first round match. Everyone knows O'Sullivan isn't the most confident of people. I don't think the statement is too far off the mark. The fact O'Sullivan lacks confidence doesn't tend to stop him playing godly snooker. He says himself sometimes he thinks he's going to miss every ball when on the outside it looks like he's not going to miss a thing.

the fact Ronnie lacks confidence he shouldn't win nail clippings and he does win tournaments so its not that big a issue....

Ronnie scored 2 centuries and 7 half centuries in that match compared to Allen 3 centuries and 5 half centuries yes it does not prove everything but for intercourse sakes come on talk sense on this instead of the intercoursing nail clippings im hearing from people.

playing great snooker is a confidence thing, however if both of players have good confidence then its down to the best man won of the best day, which was allen....end of

Postby Monique

I wont answer this argument anymore wild. I know what I know and I'm certain of what I state. You obviously can't even concieve that someone can be anxious and still play well and even win, so it's no point continuing to argue. I'm extremely disapointed though that when someone has a point of view you don't understand you feel the need to become agressive and insulting.

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

the fact Ronnie lacks confidence he shouldn't win nail clippings and he does win tournaments so its not that big a issue....

Ronnie scored 2 centuries and 7 half centuries in that match compared to Allen 3 centuries and 5 half centuries yes it does not prove everything but for intercourse sakes come on talk sense on this instead of the intercoursing nail clippings im hearing from people.

playing great snooker is a confidence thing, however if both of players have good confidence then its down to the best man won of the best day, which was allen....end of

exactly so what mon has been saying all affo about Allen being more confident than Ronnie is rubbish they were equal and the best man won.

i concede hes anxious but wasn't Allen also anxious playing ronnie or is anxiety exclusively something Ronnie has ?

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:exactly so what mon has been saying all affo about Allen being more confident than Ronnie is rubbish they were equal and the best man won.

i concede hes anxious but wasn't Allen also anxious playing ronnie or is anxiety exclusively something Ronnie has ?

everyone gets anxious and i'm sure allen was! quarter-final of WC against the defending champ and number1 and best player in the world back then.

however wild you much rspect its mons oppinion even if its right or wrong