Topic locked

Will SELTY make it to the Crucible...?

Poll ended at 07 Feb 2010

Yes - SELTY will make a TV appearance at the Crucible 2010.
25%
No - SELTY will not.
75%

Total votes : 8

Re: SELTY: qualifying route to World Champs

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
JohnFromLondonTown wrote:Judd Trump & Matt Selt are not in the same breath at the moment. <ok>

in terms of bottle, a single mindedness and will to win your right Selt is better <ok>

Is that why Selt is pushing mid twenties and outside the top 64 whereas Trump is 20 and in the top 32 pushing for the top 16? The guy got away with something which has clearly given him a boost just the same as it has done for Jamie Burnett.

You seem to have a massive problem with Trump and can't wait to shoot him down every time he loses.

my problam with trump is he is not living up to the hype at all......and will never

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
JohnFromLondonTown wrote:Judd Trump & Matt Selt are not in the same breath at the moment. <ok>

in terms of bottle, a single mindedness and will to win your right Selt is better <ok>

Is that why Selt is pushing mid twenties and outside the top 64 whereas Trump is 20 and in the top 32 pushing for the top 16? The guy got away with something which has clearly given him a boost just the same as it has done for Jamie Burnett.

You seem to have a massive problem with Trump and can't wait to shoot him down every time he loses.

my problam with trump is he is not living up to the hype at all......and will never

And when he does,you'll say 'oh but he never did it as quickly as player x', blah blah.

Postby Wildey

look if he wants to live up to the hype he had he should have already arrived no ifs buts or blah blah blah about it....

this guy was herald as the next Ronnie at this rate he wont arive as the next Mark King never mind Ronnie.

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:look if he wants to live up to the hype he had he should have already arrived no ifs buts or blah blah blah about it....

this guy was herald as the next Ronnie at this rate he wont arive as the next Mark King never mind Ronnie.

You are comparing to Ronnie, not everyone else is, and it's a totally unfair comparison.

Postby Alex0paul

Of the current generation (Maguire, Murphy, Carter, Day, Ding, Robertson, Selby) only Selby and Ding had achieved more at Trump's current age. Even then it took Selby another 4 years to reach his second ranking final. If he is still without a title at 24-25 then questions may be asked.

Postby Roland

I put Ding and Selby in the generation after Maguire, Carter, Murphy, Day. The latter 4 we've seen the best of but the others will be very prominent this decade along with Trump, but not Selt :redneck:

Postby Wildey

Trump is 20 is that a answer for being marmite ?

he should be showing something by now hes showing marmite .....ok comparing him to selt at 24 not fair but Selt as a 1st round qualifier has more about him that Trump as a top 32 player.

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:Trump is 20 is that a answer for being nail clippings ?

he should be showing something by now hes showing nail clippings .....ok comparing him to selt at 24 not fair but Selt as a 1st round qualifier has more about him that Trump as a top 32 player.

There's a reason Selt plays 1st round in qualies and Trump doesn't ... lol

Postby NedB-H

Sonny wrote:I put Ding and Selby in the generation after Maguire, Carter, Murphy, Day. The latter 4 we've seen the best of but the others will be very prominent this decade along with Trump, but not Selt :redneck:

Not sure we've seen the best of Murphy, and if we have it'll be more because of personal problems than age. Same goes for Maguire, except I don't expect him to find his form again. Carter and Day were never in the same class, imo.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:Trump is 20 is that a answer for being nail clippings ?

he should be showing something by now hes showing nail clippings .....ok comparing him to selt at 24 not fair but Selt as a 1st round qualifier has more about him that Trump as a top 32 player.

There's a reason Selt plays 1st round in qualies and Trump doesn't ... lol

what im saying is Selt plays like a top player where as trump plays like he doesn't belong has no self belief and often is acting like a spoilt child if the other player is at the table potting balls.

Postby Smart

Alex0paul wrote:Selt will struggle next season just like Gould has now. He will be the hunted not the hunter. The two times he has reached a venue he has faced players that were completely out of form too.

Selt is not setting the world alight now, and I don't think he will next year either. He has not qualified for all tournies and some of the losses really do not bode well.

I don't buy the comment made by our North Wales correspondent about "most improved player".

He has had next to no time on TV and that tells a story.

The poll says it all - a lack of confidence in the fixer. :wave:

Postby Wildey

watch and learn regarding Selt and people will still be saying Trump only 65 give him time he will come good.

Postby Smart

wildJONESEYE wrote:watch and learn regarding Selt and people will still be saying Trump only 65 give him time he will come good.

I got no time for either. One is a fixer, the other is an over-rated, class-less leftie who is shy when on TV (not a great asset for a pro snooker player). <ok>

Postby Alex0paul

StalinESQ wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:watch and learn regarding Selt and people will still be saying Trump only 65 give him time he will come good.

I got no time for either. One is a fixer, the other is an over-rated, class-less leftie who is shy when on TV (not a great asset for a pro snooker player). <ok>

Sounds like Jamie Cope, except Cope is a class-less rightie

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:

I probably agree with you there about judd trump

Postby Wildey

forgot to add just as people still living in hope regarding Trump a 91 Year old Jimmy White on a zimerframe making his 52nd apearance at the masters <laugh>

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:

forgot to add just as people still living in hope regarding Trump a 91 Year old Jimmy White on a zimerframe making his 52nd apearance at the masters <laugh>

So anyone who didn't get picked instead of White is finished ... lol. We know White isn't the 17th best player in the world, surely.

Postby Wildey

this is getting way to jokey now we need seifer to police it <laugh>

regarding trump i pray im proven wrong i honestly am.

ive known about this kid for about 10 years he was a record breaking youngster at snooker but he is not doing it.....only so long you can say hes 20,hes 21 hes 22 hes 23 hes 24 etc etc for me that bull has finished with. i don't expect him to win tournaments straight away but he is not threatening to do and if someone mentions championship league or the masters qualifier ill :bang2: :gun: theire heads off.

Postby Alex0paul

Grand Prix semi final beating an inform Joe Perry and reigning world champion Ronnie O'Sullivan only to lose to eventual champion John Higgins, 6-4.

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:this is getting way to jokey now we need seifer to police it <laugh>

ive known about this kid for about 10 years he was a record breaking youngster at snooker but he is not doing it.....only so long you can say hes 20,hes 21 hes 22 hes 23 hes 24 etc etc for me that bull has finished with. i don't expect him to win tournaments straight away but he is not threatening to do and if someone mentions championship league or the masters qualifier ill :bang2: :gun: theire heads off.

He is only 20 though, it's still ridiculously early to be comparing him to the best players to have picked up a cue ... maybe it's fairer to juddge him once he's hit the top 16 and gets regular tournament venue matchtime.

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:this is getting way to jokey now we need seifer to police it <laugh>

yes but he's no hendry or o'sullivan. winning tourneys in first years as pro. Trump isn't the break through we all expected, ding is the nearest we've seen since ronnie and hendo

Postby Bourne

What's Selt done though ?

Postby Casey

rocket_ron wrote:

yes but he's no hendry or o'sullivan. winning tourneys in first years as pro. Trump isn't the break through we all expected, ding is the nearest we've seen since ronnie and hendo

+ Higgins

Postby Rocket_ron

case_master wc wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:

+ Higgins

sorry i missed higgins. good spot case <ok>

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:

nothing but thats the point Selt when he plays you get a air of someone that believes he will....i dont get that with trump at all you get that with Allen you get that with cope you even got that with Wenbo but with trump he just going through the motions hasn't any drive or ambition in him.

Postby Casey

Trump gets a hard time from a lot of people, maybe its because of his hairstyles or style?

Whatever, he is relevant and representative of the younger generation and that is what snooker needs.

Postby Rocket_ron

case_master wc wrote:Trump gets a hard time from a lot of people, maybe its because of his hairstyles or style?

yes case i think his hair style are abit ott, no offense case but i didn't like mark allen's red hair

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Bourne wrote:

nothing but thats the point Selt when he plays you get a air of someone that believes he will....i dont get that with trump at all you get that with Allen you get that with cope you even got that with Wenbo but with trump he just going through the motions hasn't any drive or ambition in him.

Well like i've said countless times, different players peak at different times ... He might just need time to gain confidence, belief etc at the big stage because as you say, he hasn't been there enough times really.