Topic locked

Re: Snooker Island represented at Blackpool

Postby Wildey

and the fact people got the perception of him as this amazing fast player is proof he did the Right thing.

Postby Tubberlad

Smart wrote:Not seen enough to make a judgement but anyone who can rate him in top 3 of any polls .....................well I'd like to smoke some of that stuff mister. :|

<ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:
Sirius B wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:He was a tosser. I'm not a prude, but he was an trumper IMO, and was always destined to be a waste of talent, ban or no ban. I don't dispute he was a good player, he was very good, but I saw him as more of a nuisance than a character to ne honest.

he would be good at power snooker tho <ok>

Jesus, I never though of that.

I don't remember him being particularly fast. In fact looking back he was pretty measured and would be around the 23-25 second average shot time?

i was sort of having a laugh as regards him breakoff shots

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:what i meant he used the ban as a get out clause so that nobody could say he couldn't hack it at top level.

do you honestly think Hann would have cared what people like us debating whether he could or couldnt hack it at the top level.

I saw him as a modern day Tony Drago playing wise with the attitude of Alex. My ideal player really <ok>

Postby Roland

Wild wrote:and the fact people got the perception of him as this amazing fast player is proof he did the Right thing.

I don't know if that's the case but if it is then I guess the perception is bad boy = fast player which is pretty laughable really.

Postby Smart

I think there is also a misconception here.

He played ROS in I think the grand prix or something and afterwards there is an interview with them both and ROS is singing his praises or is bigging him up. I think some fans have taken this as if to say he is or would of been really cracking player.

Facts are he won nowt and had a terrible attitude a losers attitude. :|

Postby Witz78

Witz78 wrote:
Sirius B wrote:
Sonny wrote: and I would hope if he made the effort and showed a bit of maturity and wanted to come back, he would be forgiven and allowed to try for his place back on tour.

yes i agree, i feel he would be forgived also, whrn on form he was a very good player. 10-9 win over hunter at the worlds was class

id have him in my top 3 favourite players of the 00's along with Ronnie and Ebdon.

get off your high horses folks.

Did i say he was in the top 3 best players of the 00's? <doh>

I said he was in my top 3 FAVOURITE players of the 00's.

With a bit more application he could have been in the top 3 0f the 00's on ability too though :sad:

Postby Wildey

in the Mita World Masters in 1991 he became the youngest player ever to make a Televised century Break he was 13 at the time.

Postby Tubberlad

Smart wrote:I think there is also a misconception here.

He played ROS in I think the grand prix or something and afterwards there is an interview with them both and ROS is singing his praises or is bigging him up. I think some fans have taken this as if to say he is or would of been really cracking player.

Facts are he won nowt and had a terrible attitude a losers attitude. :|

He was a handy little player, I saw him beat Higgins quite impressively in an Irish Masters Quarter-final.

But that's an interesting point about the Ronnie praise. Ronnie also tipped Maguire to be the next king of snooker, and many, including myself, bought into that.

Hann was good without being anything special. His attitude to the game was one of total disrespect, and for that I could never big him up. He was a loser.

Postby Roland

Witz78 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Sirius B wrote:
Sonny wrote: and I would hope if he made the effort and showed a bit of maturity and wanted to come back, he would be forgiven and allowed to try for his place back on tour.

yes i agree, i feel he would be forgived also, whrn on form he was a very good player. 10-9 win over hunter at the worlds was class

id have him in my top 3 favourite players of the 00's along with Ronnie and Ebdon.

With a bit more application he could have been in the top 3 0f the 00's on ability too though :sad:

You like a bad boy don't you?

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

rofl rofl rofl :limp: :redneck: <laugh> <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Sirius B wrote:yes i agree, i feel he would be forgived also, whrn on form he was a very good player. 10-9 win over hunter at the worlds was class

:limp: :limp: :redneck:

Postby Witz78

"An extract from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinten_Hann "
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day after his acquittal The Sun alleged that Hann had agreed to lose his opening match against Ken Doherty at the China Open in return for large amounts of money.[15] The story was held back so it would not prejudice the outcome of Hann's trial. A hearing at the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association was convened after the WPBSA panel was shown transcripts of video and audio footage of the meetings which took place between Hann and the undercover Sun journalists in March and April 2005.

On 14 February 2006 he resigned from the WPBSA, just a couple of days before he was due to attend the hearing. Hann did not attend and was found guilty in absentia. The newspaper did not go through with any agreement, but by agreeing to lose the game Hann was in breach of rule 2.8, which states "a member shall not directly or indirectly solicit, attempt to solicit or accept any payment or any form of remuneration of benefit in exchange for influencing the outcome of any game of snooker or billiards." Hann was banned from snooker for 8 years and also fined £10,000.[3]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whats the difference between him and Higgins?

Nothing apart from 7 and a half years more..............

WHAT AN INJUSTICE, CUTTING OFF THIS GUYS CAREER IN ITS PRIME JUST SO THEY COULD BE RID OF HIM FOR GOOD.

HE WAS GOOD FOR THE GAME IN THE 21ST CENTURY JUST THE WAY ALEX WAS IN THE 70S AND 80S.

Postby Smart

Sirius B wrote:
Sonny wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

he got a picture of Alex on one wall and one of Drago on the other in his bedroom...................then he steps into the bathroom and he has a full size picture of Hann painted on the tiles :wave:

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:Whats the difference between him and Higgins?

Nothing apart from 7 and a half years more..............

WHAT AN INJUSTICE, CUTTING OFF THIS GUYS CAREER IN ITS PRIME JUST SO THEY COULD BE RID OF HIM FOR GOOD.

HE WAS GOOD FOR THE GAME IN THE 21ST CENTURY JUST THE WAY ALEX WAS IN THE 70S AND 80S.

I think it's because Hann didn't defend himself. Though in truth, I still think he would have been given more than half a year...

Postby Witz78

Smart wrote:
Sirius B wrote:
Sonny wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

he got a picture of Alex on one wall and one of Drago on the other in his bedroom...................then he steps into the bathroom and he has a full size picture of Hann painted on the tiles :wave:

No your getting mixed up, its Peter Francisco on the tiles of the bathroom. <ok>

And dont forget the John Higgins painting at the bottom of my urinal :stir:

Postby Wildey

theres no doubting he was unpredictable you never knew what he would do next but for me he started to play on that bad boy image and when unpredictability becomes predictable theres nowhere to go.

Alex Higgins had Charm as well as that dark side Quinten at the End there was no shinning light just Rape,Match Fixing etc

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:theres no doubting he was unpredictable you never knew what he would do next but for me he started to play on that bad boy image and when unpredictability becomes predictable theres nowhere to go.

Alex Higgins had Charm as well as that dark side Quinten at the End there was no shinning light just Rape,Match Fixing etc

come on, he did plenty of other things that kept snooker in the public eye <ok>

playing shoeless at the UK champs in 2000 cos of the broken foot from the parachute jump that went wrong rofl

the motorbike crash he had the year before stifled his progress with all the events he missed i feel. :wild2:

how many other players are doing such exciting things as these in their spare time? :zzz:

Funny how when Hann gestured to the crowd, ref or opponents , smashed the reds wide open etc Everton called it "bringing the game into disrepute" yet Alex and Ronnie did similar and never got the same grief. <doh>

Playing Ebdon at the Crucible when he was still drunk from the night before <cool>

Calling Hicks a "boring bald moron" then challenging King to a boxing match :cracker:

Getting his nose broke after an argument with a Gaelic football player that Aussie Rules players were tougher rofl

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A truly great character which the sport has never truly recovered from losing. If only he could be given his place on tour back immediately and also some new Hanns could emerge.

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:A truly great character which the sport has never truly recovered from losing.

bull. I hardly blinked when he got banned, and haven't once felt that the game 'was missing Quintenn Hann', as bad as things were getting for snooker.

Postby Wildey

back to my original Point he doesent want his place back.

its easier for him to have never achieved but that thought he might have still lingering than come back and fail miserably.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:back to my original Point he doesent want his place back.

its easier for him to have never achieved but that thought he might have still lingering than come back and fail miserably.

how do you know he doesnt?

he did earn 500k from his relatively short time on tour so fair play to him. <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Getting his nose broke after an argument with a Gaelic football player that Aussie Rules players were tougher

<cool>

Cmon GJ, back me up on this one <ok>

Don't think he likes Aussie Rules :santa:

Postby Roland

A number of times during the match Hann smashed the cue ball into the pack of reds at the beginning of each frame, spreading the reds over the table and consequently making breakbuilding difficult for both players, a tactic which was described by BBC commentator Clive Everton as bringing the sport into disrepute. Although Hann later apologised to Hamilton for his behaviour in the match, he nevertheless continued to use this tactic to slow down faster opponents over the next couple of years.

It sounds like a risky tactic to me but outlawing a smash into the pack from the break-off is bucking ridiculous. It's a legal shot. How can you outlaw a legal shot? Ding did it against Liang in the EPTC event. Once again, what is wrong with playing a legal shot? Bringing the game into disrepute? bullocks! Chance your arm, sometimes it'll come off, most of the time it won't. Law of averages.

In the 2005 World Championship Hann was forced to play with a new cue after his original cue was lost after the China Open earlier that year.[12] The original cue was eventually retrieved just before the World Championship but was found to be damaged and unusable. Having borrowed a friend's cue, he decided against practising, and instead went out drinking.[12] He played his first round match against Peter Ebdon hungover, and rather predictably lost the match by 10 frames to 2. When asked about the defeat to Ebdon, Hann said: "I played poorly, but to be honest, that wasn't because of the cue. I was planning to go out the night before the match, drink a couple of beers. When I found out my cue was missing, a couple of beers became a lot of beers. The fact that the first session was a morning session made it worse."

I'm not condoning it but fair play for the frank admission. There ladies and gentlemen is a character.

As for the earlier point laid out by witz in bold characters, it seems he has a point. But Higgins didn't agree to lose a match, it wasn't a ranking event anyway and he had good character and unblemished record prior to that accusation. The two shouldn't be compared in my opinion, the circumstances were completely different. Quinten shot himself in the foot by not turning up to a tribunal and he paid the consequences. It's a real shame because we never got to see what he could do in the game. But Paul Hunter is by far the bigger tragedy and he was the same generation.