Topic locked

Re: Shoot-Out Draw On Sky On Sunday

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:Dire Harold to school hype-Trump :)

They are only over 12 minutes. It'll take the Bloke from Stoke most of that time to make a 7-break.

Postby gallantrabbit

You know this is the first time I`ve disagreed with Hearn since he took over. I`m fine with the grim reaper, 10 minutes limit, one frame shoot out, excellent no problem. But 20 seconds first 5 minutes and 15 the second. Why is speed snooker so important all of a sudden?? It`s nonsense and tosh I`m sorry. The quality will be poor, and the whole thing will be turned into a circus. 10 mins with 25-30 seconds all the way would be acceptable, but 15...

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:Dire Harold to school hype-Trump :)

They are only over 12 minutes. It'll take the Bloke from Stoke most of that time to make a 7-break.

he wins 7-0 and in to next round <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:You know this is the first time I`ve disagreed with Hearn since he took over. I`m fine with the grim reaper, 10 minutes limit, one frame shoot out, excellent no problem. But 20 seconds first 5 minutes and 15 the second. Why is speed snooker so important all of a sudden?? It`s nonsense and tosh I`m sorry. The quality will be poor, and the whole thing will be turned into a circus. 10 mins with 25-30 seconds all the way would be acceptable, but 15...

10 minutes with 30 second shot clocks? You could only end up with 20 shots in an entire match. <laugh>

To be fair, this event is pretty stupid. I'm all for a one-frame shoot out. I think that'd make a good, one-off, none-ranking tournament. Nothing serious, but enjoyable. They were doing it five years or so ago when they revived pot black. Why not now?

My problem is, why does it need to be one frame, shot clock and ten minutes time limit? They have John Higgins vs Mark Williams. That would be a brilliant match, why reduce it to ten minutes in length? That's not a match. That's a practice session.

I must say, I am getting awfully concerned about Hearn's theory that people will watch snooker if it's quicker and faster. Snooker isn't going to grip new fans this way. If people tune in half way through a match, and it's over in five minutes then two more people come out and that's over in ten minutes, then two more come out etc how will they become gripped? I became fully hooked at university by turning on to watch a frame with a sandwich at lunchtime, seeing somebody make a costly mistake in a frame and thinking; "Oooh, I'll just watch the next frame to see how that affects the match." I would then suddenly realise it was 5:30pm, and I hadn't done any studying all afternoon. This new way is too fast, that not of it leaves a lasting impression.

And PS. Tell me you're joking about the Grim Reaper. That ideas not being bandied around again, is it? <doh>

Postby Roland

It's a conveyor belt format with the tv audience getting a chance to see all of the top 64 players.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:It's a conveyor belt format with the tv audience getting a chance to see all of the top 64 players.

Exactly. Nothing more. And the 10 minutes time limit is there to make sure of the schedule for broadcasting. The shot-clock is there to make sure it stays dynamic. The 15 seconds shot-clock is over the top methinks, but it will generate misses, twists and turns and maybe that's exactly the purpose...

Postby SnookerFan

Well, Power Snooker wasn't as rubbish as I thought it was going to be, but it still weren't amazing. We'll see how good this is. And what Clive Everton makes of it. <laugh>

Postby gallantrabbit

IMO 'blowing the game up' is great , but to go to 15 seconds a shot is OTT and completely unecessary. Showing the top 64 is fine but showing them missing is not and that's what will happen. Calm down Barry you're doing an absolutely terrific job, but you can be wrong as well. Bring on the Grim reaper why not.
PS he hasn't promoted speed darts has he yet, cos eyes will be lost...

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:IMO 'blowing the game up' is great , but to go to 15 seconds a shot is OTT and completely unecessary. Showing the top 64 is fine but showing them missing is not and that's what will happen. Calm down Barry you're doing an absolutely terrific job, but you can be wrong as well. Bring on the Grim reaper why not.
PS he hasn't promoted speed darts has he yet, cos eyes will be lost...

Because it's retarded?

Postby gallantrabbit

But it adds a bit of fun, for me no problem, cos it won't affect the quality. However running round the table like on Big Break has no place because quality will be poor.

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:But it adds a bit of fun, for me no problem, cos it won't affect the quality. However running round the table like on Big Break has no place because quality will be poor.

I stand by my original statement.

Postby Roland

As a one off I can see it's a bit of fun and will definitely tune in. A one off though, one weekend per year in what would otherwise be a free weekend. I prefer Power Snooker to any normal snooker with shot clock event. I watched the Premier League final but for me it really holds no status being crowned speed snooker champion. Who cares? The real stuff starts next weekend.

Postby Wildey

15 Second a shot will be car crash no doubt about it.

but with time limit per match it will mean matches wont be long because of it but they wont be high scoring either.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:As a one off I can see it's a bit of fun and will definitely tune in. A one off though, one weekend per year in what would otherwise be a free weekend. I prefer Power Snooker to any normal snooker with shot clock event. I watched the Premier League final but for me it really holds no status being crowned speed snooker champion. Who cares? The real stuff starts next weekend.

Sonny = <cool>

It's about bloody time, if you ask me. I've got sick of best of fives, shot clocks and Power Snooker Hyper Megaball. Lets just get the boys on the baize. <ok>

Postby Roland

Even though the calendar has been packed since the summer, it really does feel like we've not had a proper event since the Worlds.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Even though the calendar has been packed since the summer, it really does feel like we've not had a proper event since the Worlds.

i think thats important its felt like it...

last year it WAS Like it <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

aussiewild wrote:
Sonny wrote:Even though the calendar has been packed since the summer, it really does feel like we've not had a proper event since the Worlds.

i think thats important its felt like it...

last year it WAS Like it <laugh>

Wild, once again, fails to grasp why people want the PTCs on television. rofl

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:As a one off I can see it's a bit of fun and will definitely tune in. A one off though, one weekend per year in what would otherwise be a free weekend. I prefer Power Snooker to any normal snooker with shot clock event. I watched the Premier League final but for me it really holds no status being crowned speed snooker champion. Who cares? The real stuff starts next weekend.

roll of honour :idea: :wave: :idea: :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

wheelsofsteel wrote:Is it just me or is anyone else beginning to lose track of what tournaments are and what they mean?

I think Barry Hearn is. <laugh>