Topic locked

Re: Ding the mercyless!!

Postby Monique

I have to agree with sickpotter about the pressure Ding is put under by the fact that he is China standard bearer and the constant hype of the chinese media around him. After beating him at the Crucible Shaun Murphy did give the chinese press a bit of a telling off about that and rightly so. I read in several articles this morning that Ding tries to play down his chances for the WC and I can perfectly understand why, he certainly doesn't need additional pressure.
As for the Masters incident in 2007, I'm amazed how people report it and how "transformed" it has been. As it happens I've rewatched the whole match footage only 2 weeks ago. The crowd wasn't hostile. It was only a couple of isolated blokes who were. And they were told off by Jan Verhaas first, by Ronnie himself next. After Ronnie's intervention the worse of them was removed from the arena forcibly. In my opinion, Steve Davis and John Parrott hit the nail on the head yesterday when they explained their view about what happened: Ding was 19 and had won 3 ranking titles already, he had beaten Hendry and Ronnie in ranking finals, his win over Ronnie was only 4 months before, he had been playing superbly to reach the final of the Masters and he was full of confidence, he had boasted about being able to play even better and he was steamrolled in the final. It wasn't the crowd that did it, it was his crushed pride and about losing face in front of a big audience and millions of viewers, including in homeland.

Postby Bourne

Monique, a lot of the crowd were disgusting that night, not just a couple. They had no respect for the game whatsoever.

Postby Eirebilly

I have also watched that final time and time again Monique and it was more than a few people, more like several groups and they were very hostile towards Ding.

I thought that Ronnie acted brilliantly when he had words with sections of the crowd and how he protected Ding at the end. That is this vision that will stay with me from that final.

Back on topic, i for one hope that Ding continues his progress as he is one exciting player to watch.

Postby Monique

Bourne wrote:Monique, a lot of the crowd were disgusting that night, not just a couple. They had no respect for the game whatsoever.

Not in the footage I have and I was surprised rewatching it, I honestly was. It has been said and said so many times that it has become a "truth" in itself, but it isn't. I'd gladly make you a copy on CD-Rom so that you can rewatch it by yourself it you want that.
The crowd was loud, it nearly always is in Wembley, but not hostile. Ding was duly applauded for his good shots and he did have quite a few because he was playing well, very well even, except for the last couple of frames when he was totally ragged.

Postby Monique

Having said that, how the players live through such an atmosphere is a completely different story. I remember an interview with Ronnie where he said that he was playing Jimmy and this was one of the rare occurences when he had a very excited and vociferous crowd against him. He said the pressure was such, and some in the audience were so excited, that the thought crept into his head that someone might well get crazy in there and harm him physically - he thought about Monica Seles - and that he totally freaked out.

Postby wheelsofsteel

Bourne wrote:Monique, a lot of the crowd were disgusting that night, not just a couple. They had no respect for the game whatsoever.

The London crowd is a rabble and don't like anyone. Paul Hunter was the only 'outsider' they liked. Everyone else, they hate.

So, good place for a tournament then :afro:

Postby Monique

wheelsofsteel wrote:

The London crowd is a rabble and don't like anyone. Paul Hunter was the only 'outsider' they liked. Everyone else, they hate.

:chin:
That was plain to see yesterday, isn't it?

Postby Wildey

but the Wembley crowd over many years has been disrespectful to opponents that's nothing new.

they do get on the side of their own and sod the consequences.

long term that could benefit Ding because if he gets Dominating getting boooeeeeddd is something he will be getting.

Postby wheelsofsteel

Monique wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:

Slight flaw with the tense and agreement there. Has Wild been giving you English lessons again, is he?

Postby Monique

wheelsofsteel wrote:
Monique wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:

Slight flaw with the tense and agreement there. Has Wild been giving you English lessons again, is he?

My English isn't perfect but I fail to understand what this has to do with the topic we are discussing. And maybe we could discuss it in French btw?

Postby wheelsofsteel

Monique wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:
My English isn't perfect but I fail to understand what this has to do with the topic we are discussing. And maybe we could discuss it in French btw?

Peut-être mais plus tard ...

Postby SnookerFan

Eirebilly wrote:I have also watched that final time and time again Monique and it was more than a few people, more like several groups and they were very hostile towards Ding.

I thought that Ronnie acted brilliantly when he had words with sections of the crowd and how he protected Ding at the end. That is this vision that will stay with me from that final.

Back on topic, i for one hope that Ding continues his progress as he is one exciting player to watch.

Much though I criticise him, that was one time I thought his behaviour then was spot on. This was not an occasion where asking the crowd nicely to behave would've worked. Telling them to buck off spoke to them in their own language, and showed them their actions were not supportive of him.

Consolling Ding on the way out, was behaviour from the top drawer.

Postby Tubberlad

That night four years ago was disgusting, but Ding has answered them now. Also, it must be said that Ronnie's behaviour was top drawer that night, though I disagree with his behaviour quite a lot.

Ding has already emulated the likes of Higgins & O'Sullivan, and I feel he will not only win world titles, but he'll also end his career as one of the all-time greats, barring a disaster. For a supposedly mentally fragile player, he has now won three majors and has deserved each, and even beat Higgins in one of those.

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:That night four years ago was disgusting, but Ding has answered them now. Also, it must be said that Ronnie's behaviour was top drawer that night, though I disagree with his behaviour quite a lot.

Ding has already emulated the likes of Higgins & O'Sullivan, and I feel he will not only win world titles, but he'll also end his career as one of the all-time greats, barring a disaster. For a supposedly mentally fragile player, he has now won three majors and has deserved each, and even beat Higgins in one of those.

yes its all good so far despite that setback that did hold him back a good 2 years.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:That night four years ago was disgusting, but Ding has answered them now. Also, it must be said that Ronnie's behaviour was top drawer that night, though I disagree with his behaviour quite a lot.

yes its all good so far despite that setback that did hold him back a good 2 years.

Not a big deal. He was only, like, 12 at the time. He has 3 majors, and 2 other ranking events under his belt. Many finals have come in the last season and a half. He will win more trophies, I believe.

Postby Casey

SnookerFan wrote:Ding The Merciless is a good pun by the way, you could be a headline writer for The Sun.

:D :D

I was kind of wondering why nobody had picked up that before.

Postby SnookerFan

Casey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Ding The Merciless is a good pun by the way, you could be a headline writer for The Sun.

I had got it, I had just assumed everybody else would. After a couple of pages, I thought I'd better qualify it was a good pun.

Postby wheelsofsteel

SnookerFan wrote:
Casey wrote:

I had got it, I had just assumed everybody else would. After a couple of pages, I thought I'd better qualify it was a good pun.

so good ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/mediawench/3223843191/

Re: Ding the merciless!!

Postby SnookerFan

Ming the Merciless. He was the villan in Flash Gordon. I don't know what the picture of the dog is about. <laugh>