Topic locked

Masters 2011: Your thoughts

Postby Bourne

How was the tournament for you ? Ding was impressive throughout, in fact he was never behind in a single match and thrashed his last three opponents.

The crowd interaction wasn't great, until the final frame of the final, which was fun.

We had only ONE deciding frame in the whole tournament, between Carter and Ebdon, a very low-quality match and instantly forgettable.

The top players failed to perform, apart from Ding, though there were a couple of good performances from the 'chasers'.

How will you remember the 2011 Masters ?

Re: Masters 2011: Your thoughts

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:2/10

One of the worst and least memorable tournaments in a while.

not as bad as the 2008 world final

it was 0/10 :D :ahh:
Last edited by GJ on 16 Jan 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Bourne

GJ wrote:

not as bad as the 2098 world final

I'm looking forward to that one myself :ashamed:

Postby PLtheRef

Not the best Masters by a long way - but the ones we've had recently 2009 and 2010 show how unpredictable the game can be. - Few here last Saturday night would have said 7 seeds would lose in the first round, that Mark King would topple Selby - and that we'd have an all-Chinese final. In the end, it got a worthy winner,

Not the best Masters, but certainly not a dull one either

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:

2098 :chin:

Were talking about the tournaments overall anyway so whats your point caller? :huh2:

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:
GJ wrote:

2098 :chin:

Were talking about the tournaments overall anyway so whats your point caller? :huh2:

change your avatar :redneck: :tvrky:

Postby Tubberlad

GJ wrote:

How about the World Semi-final, O'Sullivan v Hendry :D what a bloody performance that was. I nearly went over the edge :shy:

Postby GJ

Tubberlad wrote:
GJ wrote:

How about the World Semi-final, O'Sullivan v Hendry :D what a bloody performance that was. I nearly went over the edge :shy:

seifer was unbearable apart from that a good match ESPECIALLY SESSION 1 :)

Postby Wildey

it was not exactly 10/10 week because to get that you got to have a close final with drama although as ive said on another thread that 11th frame almost made the whole match.

for me but i am a real fan of the sport and apreciate the whole sport unlike others id give it 8/10 easy <ok>

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:After a tournament we often say and hear: ... a deserving winner ...

But does anyone can recall a tournament there we have an undeserving winner?

rofl

im sure seifer said that 12 months ago <laugh>

Postby Alex0paul

Its been alright, I think after the last two years we were due a one sided final.

Another note is that Dott loses to the winner again! 4 BBC tournaments in a row now (5 if you include BBC Wales). Everyone will be wanting to draw him.

Postby vodkadiet

I was relieved the final finished early. I found it quite dull. Ding Junhui has been fortunate in winning his 2 UK and 1 Masters title when playing players who are playing badly. I am still not convinced he will ever win a world final against someone playing well.

Postby Roland

vodkadiet wrote:I was relieved the final finished early. I found it quite dull. Ding Junhui has been fortunate in winning his 2 UK and 1 Masters title when playing players who are playing badly. I am still not convinced he will ever win a world final against someone playing well.

Now that is just bull.

Postby Bourne

Snooker Overdrive wrote:After a tournament we often say and hear: ... a deserving winner ...

But does anyone can recall a tournament there we have an undeserving winner?

He did deserve to win it though <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Why is it, no matter what I think, I know I'm guaranteed to have 9/10 people on this forum disagree? I thoroughly enjoyed the Masters. I had my traditional week off to watch it, and felt myself a lot more satisfied then the last time I had a week off to watch snooker. (The World Open. Which I thought was poor.)

I attended the opening match, Selby vs King. And was thoroughly entertained. Maybe some matches were lower quality then normal, but in some cases that made the match. I was breathless when Mark Allen beat Ronnie. He closed himself down for a couple of frames, and I thought Ronnie was going to come back. But then Allen improved, and Ronnie fell apart. We had a lot of top seeds go out, we had the pleasure of watching Ding playing very well. Semi-Final Saturday produced a very entertaining Fu match, and more sublime play from Ding. We had an all-Asian final instead of the usual Ronnie vs A N Other. (Usually Selby.)

Maybe not the best tournament ever, but thoroughly worthwhile. I enjoyed it. Despite a couple of dross games.

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:I was relieved the final finished early. I found it quite dull. Ding Junhui has been fortunate in winning his 2 UK and 1 Masters title when playing players who are playing badly. I am still not convinced he will ever win a world final against someone playing well.

Now that is just bull.

frame cant stand that robbo and ding are the only consistent winners of the generation below ronnie and higgins

:D

frame = :tvrky: :farmer:

Postby SnookerFan

In what sense was Ding undeserving? He played well all week. I know people are going to gripe that some top players didn't perform. But it's the matter with which you win. Ding barely struggled and fell across the line. He wasn't the least bad, he played well in this tournament.

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:In what sense was Ding undeserving? He played well all week. I know people are going to gripe that some top players didn't perform. But it's the matter with which you win. Ding barely struggled and fell across the line. He wasn't the least bad, he played well in this tournament.

Don't think anyone's disputing that ... lol

Postby wheelsofsteel

I wanted Robertson to win, but happy enough with Ding. Big time player and bigger now. Good final, good start, dramatic 11th frame, and a champions close-out by Ding. Don't think I'd have been as excited if Cope for instance had won. That would be a modern day Steve James performance minus the bike

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:

Now that is just bull.

So who's going to win these World titles if Ding & Robertson aren't?

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:
Sonny wrote:

Now that is just bull.

So who's going to win these World titles if Ding & Robertson aren't?

The beauty of snooker is that it's hard to predict. Look how many surprising results we had in just the first round this week.

I'd put Robertson ahead of Ding as favourite, but who'd have predicted Shaun Murphy would win it the year he did? It's just hard to tell. We might get a complete surprise. Somebody might have a run of form from out of nowhere.

Alternative we might get Higgins or Ronnie become a four-time champion, by playing well for two weeks.

Postby Tubberlad

But we have Frame predicting Robbo won't win another major and Ding won't be World Champion... I just don't see how either are feasible and who's going to stop them. They'll be other winners, but to not have them amongst them would be a massive turn up for the books

Postby Roland

The worlds is between Ding, Robbo, Higgins, Ronnie, Williams and Selby for me. In order I think now I will actually put Ding favourite although we need to see the draw before making such claims.

Postby Roland

wheelsofsteel wrote:I wanted Robertson to win, but happy enough with Ding. Big time player and bigger now. Good final, good start, dramatic 11th frame, and a champions close-out by Ding. Don't think I'd have been as excited if Cope for instance had won. That would be a modern day Steve James performance minus the bike

<laugh> yeah he was always going on about his motorbike in his brummie accent. I would've been happy for a Cope win because when he's on song how can you not enjoy watching him?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Why is it, no matter what I think, I know I'm guaranteed to have 9/10 people on this forum disagree? I thoroughly enjoyed the Masters. I had my traditional week off to watch it, and felt myself a lot more satisfied then the last time I had a week off to watch snooker. (The World Open. Which I thought was poor.)

I attended the opening match, Selby vs King. And was thoroughly entertained. Maybe some matches were lower quality then normal, but in some cases that made the match. I was breathless when Mark Allen beat Ronnie. He closed himself down for a couple of frames, and I thought Ronnie was going to come back. But then Allen improved, and Ronnie fell apart. We had a lot of top seeds go out, we had the pleasure of watching Ding playing very well. Semi-Final Saturday produced a very entertaining Fu match, and more sublime play from Ding. We had an all-Asian final instead of the usual Ronnie vs A N Other. (Usually Selby.)

Maybe not the best tournament ever, but thoroughly worthwhile. I enjoyed it. Despite a couple of dross games.

i couldn't have put it any better myself <ok>

i could have put it more forcefull <ok>

i could have added a few swear words for people who dont understand what makes snooker <ok>

but could not put it better <ok> <ok>