Topic locked

Selby looking forward to title defence

Postby Roland

Back where I belong

Walking out into that Wembley Arena tomorrow as Masters champion will be a fantastic occasion. Having been in the last three finals and lifting that coveted title twice, I really feel as if it is my tournament. That’s not me being over-confident, it’s just the way I feel about a tournament that I love playing in.

I’ve got a great record there and I feel very privileged to have won one title, never mind two. It’s such a prestigious tournament with a fantastic history, and some of the world’s greatest players have won it. I love the atmosphere there too – last year’s final was the best I’ve ever played in.

A few of the players don’t like it so much, because the crowd can get noisy, probably noisier than at any other tournament on the circuit, especially when the London lads like Ronnie and Jimmy are playing. But it doesn’t bother me, maybe because I’m more used to that kind of thing because of my background playing pool. I love the one-table set-up too, it really suits my game. Every time I walk out there to play, no matter what round it is, I feel like I’m in a final.

As defending champion, I know I’m there to be shot at, I’m the hunted one. That doesn’t put any more pressure on me, it just means I will take it one match at a time. I play Mark King in the first round, and that will be tough. He is a difficult opponent and a great match-player, but I know that if I go into it with my A game, I can beat him.

I had the perfect start to the new year by winning the opening group in the Championship League. It was a tough group with six of the top eight players in the world involved, so it was a no-brainer to play in it. In one way I wouldn’t have minded if I was still in it because it would mean I could carry on sharpening my game against some top players, but winning was the perfect start to the new year.

I’m always confident going into the Masters, but this was a brilliant boost and I hope I will be lifting that prestigious title once again a week tomorrow.

http://www.markselby.info/blog.html

Re: Selby looking forward to title defence

Postby SnookerFan

I wouldn't mind seeing something a bit different this year in the final. Selby has been in the last 3 finals, and Ronnie gets to it practically every year. Though, it'd be a hell of an achievement if Selby can do a Hunter and win it three years out of four.

Maybe a Selby vs Mark Allen or Selby vs Neil Robertson final would be worth watching, just for a change. Anybody that can give Selby a better match then Stephen Lee did.

Postby Bourne

Every time I walk out there to play, no matter what round it is, I feel like I’m in a final.

I like that attitude, he clearly doesn't shirk a challenge. Just needs to work out how to win the bitty matches against the journeymen more regularly :|

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing something a bit different this year in the final. Selby has been in the last 3 finals, and Ronnie gets to it practically every year. Though, it'd be a hell of an achievement if Selby can do a Hunter and win it three years out of four.

Maybe a Selby vs Mark Allen or Selby vs Neil Robertson final would be worth watching, just for a change. Anybody that can give Selby a better match then Stephen Lee did.

Its not "doing a Hunter", its actually "doing a Thorburn" if Selby wins it 3 out of 4 years. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing something a bit different this year in the final. Selby has been in the last 3 finals, and Ronnie gets to it practically every year. Though, it'd be a hell of an achievement if Selby can do a Hunter and win it three years out of four.

Its not "doing a Hunter", its actually "doing a Thorburn" if Selby wins it 3 out of 4 years. <ok>

Is winning it 3 times in two decades called doing a Steve Davis?

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Is winning it 3 times in two decades called doing a Steve Davis?

Only winning 1 major in the last 15 years is called doing a Hendry :D

even Davis has managed to do a Hendry :rude:

Postby Roland

Selby's clearance in frame 2 was superb but after that he gave King "The 'ump" and his level dropped off. Selby needs to learn to open up gaps on opponents. Whenever he goes 2-0 ahead I'm always seeing 2-2 at the interval. I guess the same could be said for him when he's 2-0 down he tends to come back but apart from Hendry at the Crucible, I can't recently remember him outclassing an opponent with the scoreline reflecting it.

I think he needs to speed up just a touch. Not in terms of shot thinking time necessarily, more in terms of not reverting to his excellent safety game unless it's really appropriate to do so. By keeping it tight and playing safety you give your opponent chance to get used to conditions.

I also think sometimes if he's not under pressure he is more likely to miss through lack of concentration and this happens quite a bit when he's near the winning line in a frame on a potential big break i.e. has a 50-60 point lead, and this costs him dear. Think Premier League match v Murphy. When the chips are down and there's big pressure and it's do or die, that's when he is a lot more reliable.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Selby's clearance in frame 2 was superb but after that he gave King "The 'ump" and his level dropped off. Selby needs to learn to open up gaps on opponents. Whenever he goes 2-0 ahead I'm always seeing 2-2 at the interval. I guess the same could be said for him when he's 2-0 down he tends to come back but apart from Hendry at the Crucible, I can't recently remember him outclassing an opponent with the scoreline reflecting it.

I think he needs to speed up just a touch. Not in terms of shot thinking time necessarily, more in terms of not reverting to his excellent safety game unless it's really appropriate to do so. By keeping it tight and playing safety you give your opponent chance to get used to conditions.

I also think sometimes if he's not under pressure he is more likely to miss through lack of concentration and this happens quite a bit when he's near the winning line in a frame on a potential big break i.e. has a 50-60 point lead, and this costs him dear. Think Premier League match v Murphy. When the chips are down and there's big pressure and it's do or die, that's when he is a lot more reliable.

That seems to be a problem with Selby. Usually you would think having the ability to keep it together, and get better from behind was an advantage. But Selby seems to need that to happen before he kicks into gear. His win against Ronnie was impressive last year, and great entertainment to watch, but he seems to need to be one frame away from victory before he is trying his best to win. If he was that hungry all the way through the game, he might have won more trophies.

Postby SnookerFan

wheelsofsteel wrote:Didn't last long. Maybe like Samson he lost his strength with that haircut

Apparently, it's not a haircut. He just isn't styling it any more. Or at least, that's what I was told when I said he'd got a new haircut.

Postby wheelsofsteel

SnookerFan wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:Didn't last long. Maybe like Samson he lost his strength with that haircut

Apparently, it's not a haircut. He just isn't styling it any more. Or at least, that's what I was told when I said he'd got a new haircut.

Maybe he has got Action Man hair that never grows. Maybe he's had a Gordon Ramsay. Maybe be has a key in his back that means you can shorten it or grow it depending what mood you are in. Maybe he has a key in his back that winds him up - and he lost it yesterday. Maybe he will challenge King to a FIGHT!

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Selby's clearance in frame 2 was superb but after that he gave King "The 'ump" and his level dropped off. Selby needs to learn to open up gaps on opponents. Whenever he goes 2-0 ahead I'm always seeing 2-2 at the interval. I guess the same could be said for him when he's 2-0 down he tends to come back but apart from Hendry at the Crucible, I can't recently remember him outclassing an opponent with the scoreline reflecting it.

Well personally I think the pressure was very much on yesterday and he couldn't handle it on the occasion. Simple as that. This time he wasn't the underdog, he was the defending champion and the favourite and he had boasted about his confidence and form beforehand. And then the pressure came, he wasn't feeling as confident as he uses to feel - he said he was feeling flat - King was playing well and had nothing to lose and Selby couldn't respond. It happens to all of them and Selby's just learned he's no different.
He also should learn that mind games sometimes backfire at you. ;)

Postby SnookerFan

wheelsofsteel wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Maybe he has got Action Man hair that never grows. Maybe he's had a Gordon Ramsay. Maybe be has a key in his back that means you can shorten it or grow it depending what mood you are in. Maybe he has a key in his back that winds him up - and he lost it yesterday. Maybe he will challenge King to a FIGHT!

Challenge Mark King to a fight? Maybe he is Quinten Hann in disguise? Maybe Hann is beating the ban. :eek:

Postby Wildey

i think he needs to slow down not speed up.

i think his main problam is getting carried away how well hes playing and he goes on a roll he starts to get quicker and quicker and he misses a dolly gives the oponement a chance in the balls.

Postby Casey

I think he was surprised at how well Mark King played. It’s ok to say you play your own game and not the opponent but it rarely happens like that.
He would have went into the game expecting two chances a frame and when it didn’t work out like that the pressure got greater. That’s a different type of pressure than had he been playing a Higgins or Williams round 1 were he knew he would have to be at his best right through.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:
Back where I belong

Walking out into that Wembley Arena tomorrow as Masters champion will be a fantastic occasion. Having been in the last three finals and lifting that coveted title twice, I really feel as if it is my tournament. That’s not me being over-confident, it’s just the way I feel about a tournament that I love playing in.

I’ve got a great record there and I feel very privileged to have won one title, never mind two. It’s such a prestigious tournament with a fantastic history, and some of the world’s greatest players have won it. I love the atmosphere there too – last year’s final was the best I’ve ever played in.

A few of the players don’t like it so much, because the crowd can get noisy, probably noisier than at any other tournament on the circuit, especially when the London lads like Ronnie and Jimmy are playing. But it doesn’t bother me, maybe because I’m more used to that kind of thing because of my background playing pool. I love the one-table set-up too, it really suits my game. Every time I walk out there to play, no matter what round it is, I feel like I’m in a final.

As defending champion, I know I’m there to be shot at, I’m the hunted one. That doesn’t put any more pressure on me, it just means I will take it one match at a time. I play Mark King in the first round, and that will be tough. He is a difficult opponent and a great match-player, but I know that if I go into it with my A game, I can beat him.

I had the perfect start to the new year by winning the opening group in the Championship League. It was a tough group with six of the top eight players in the world involved, so it was a no-brainer to play in it. In one way I wouldn’t have minded if I was still in it because it would mean I could carry on sharpening my game against some top players, but winning was the perfect start to the new year.

I’m always confident going into the Masters, but this was a brilliant boost and I hope I will be lifting that prestigious title once again a week tomorrow.

<laugh> <laugh> <laugh>
<laugh> <laugh>
<laugh>

Postby GJ

Smart wrote:
Sonny wrote:
Back where I belong

<laugh> <laugh> <laugh>
<laugh> <laugh>
<laugh>

robbo WC will show him how to successfully defend a major at this years worlds

:afro: :bowdown:

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:Didn't you hear bro, Selby's CL win the other day put him ahead of Robbo in the greatness stakes :john:

rofl <laugh>

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:
GJ wrote:robbo WC will show him how to successfully defend a major at this years worlds

The Crucible curse begs to differ.

:bs:

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
GJ wrote:robbo WC will show him how to successfully defend a major at this years worlds

The Crucible curse begs to differ.

:bs:

If you say so. The Australians have been showing the English how to play a lot lately. I mean the cricket they've been playing well, and the rugby. And lets not forget all those Australian darts players that have been doing so well... Robertson should feel glad he's playing a Scot, then somebody from Northern Ireland.