Topic locked

Re: Who is favourite for the Masters 2011 ?

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:What do you mean about the green? I thought you agreed with me that he gave it plenty of thought, felt that he'd get it so took it on. He showed bottle to take it on in my opinion. But looking on yes, it was one that if missed would get everyone saying it was the wrong shot.

Yes exactly. Ronnie said afterwards, weeks afterwards, that if he was faced with it again he would take it again. I have no problem with that. What I wanted to point out is that the shots you take and how you play, the risks you take, all that depends a lot on your state of mind on the moment. Shaun Murphy said exactly that during an interview at the World Open (and he was going about Ebdon's shot selections). The thing is with Ronnie the way his mood changes to the extreme also triggers extreme behaviours including at the table. This IS a weakness, and it does come across as unprofessional, I don't and will never challenge that. But it's a "on the moment thing" and not a reflection of a general contempt for the game or the event. At an interview earlier this year he explained that sometimes, when he's not on his game, he feels as there is "no point to play". Of course that's not how a pro sportsman is supposed to react, but it's not linked to a specific event.
A last thing: for obvious reasons it's more likely to happen in events like the WC or the UK, or abroad, where there is a lot of hanging around and a lot of time to brood over things, than in an event where he knows he will go home after the match and possibly regroup and come back refreshed for the next one.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:
I don't know what triggered Ronnie's mood swing (*) in the UK but it certainly wasn't contempt to the event. The UK is a tournament he values, the very first big one he won, and I know (I mean I KNOW) he had been practising hard and working seriouly with his coach ahead of it.

That may be true but when you look back to his walk out at 4-1 down to Hendry and the way he threw the match against Bingham and also Joe Perry a couple of years back I wonder how much he really values it. I mean he's never done it in the Premier League...

But he has done it at the Worlds against Dott in 2006.

i think Ronnie just think he should cake walk those players and when those players stand up to him and play well themselves then Ronnie just throws his toys out of a pram.

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Sonny wrote:
I don't know what triggered Ronnie's mood swing (*) in the UK but it certainly wasn't contempt to the event. The UK is a tournament he values, the very first big one he won, and I know (I mean I KNOW) he had been practising hard and working seriouly with his coach ahead of it.

That may be true but when you look back to his walk out at 4-1 down to Hendry and the way he threw the match against Bingham and also Joe Perry a couple of years back I wonder how much he really values it. I mean he's never done it in the Premier League...

But he has done it at the Worlds against Dott in 2006.

i think Ronnie just think he should cake walk those players and when those players stand up to him and play well themselves then Ronnie just throws his toys out of a pram.

Rewatch the Masters 2009 final will you? And the Masters 2010 round 1. And the WC 2008 round 2 against Williams (he had prepared his bags to go home then). No he doesn't throw his toys out of the the pram systematically when things don't go his way and he doesn't think any of the like neither. It all depends how he feels within himself.
And I'm NOT saying that he only loses when he isn't bothered. Some times he doesn't play well and he has lost when playing great as he has lost when fighting against players who were better than him on the day.

And I also suggest that you rewatch the 2004 WC semi closely and honestly: this is a case of Hendry throwing his cue at everything in frustration when things didn't go his way...

Postby Wildey

monique

he does throw his toys out of a pram or he don't care about the sport then.

any sportsman that prepares his bags to go home early is a disgrace and then questions has to be asked if he cared or not.

you should not even think of going home until you loose people bet on this man to do his best and win tournaments.

Postby GJ

Any mcth were ronnie loses should be wiped from the records as its clear he had no interest in winning the match

Postby Wildey

someone actually said after last years masters cant think who :chin:

At 9-6 up Ronnie wanted to lose <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

RUSSIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 2018 wrote:Any mcth were ronnie loses should be wiped from the records as its clear he had no interest in winning the match

That's not true. There are matches like that, but I think certain players manage to raise their game against Ronnie. Higgins and Selby are examples. And oddly enough, so is Marco Fu.

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:monique

any sportsman that prepares his bags to go home early is a disgrace and then questions has to be asked if he cared or not.

you should not even think of going home until you loose people bet on this man to do his best and win tournaments.

He prepared his bags, went to play and win that match, brilliantly, and the whole event, the WC, after that! That's just how much he didn't care.
Bring more of that kind of disgrace! :D
Last edited by Monique on 29 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:monique

He prepared his bags, went to play and win that match, brilliantly, and the whole event, the WC, after that! That's just how much he didn't care.
Bring more of that kind of disgrace! :D

but he does throw his toys out of a pram ive seen it on many of a ocation and not because he dont care i know he cares i know he wants to win every match he enters but on ocation when he feels he should steam-roll "WEAKER PLAYERS" and they stand their ground its easier for him to have his fans say his head isnt right instead of fighting his corner for the win ie Bingham and Perry in a major the likes of Mark Williams doesn't come under that heading.

Postby Witz78

Its partly arrogance Wild.

I do that when playing lesser players at pool or snooker, i get too arrogant and cocky then if my natural game isnt firing on all cylinders and / or the opponent has raised their game i tend to panic slightly but also keep playing all or nothing shots to make it look like im not concerened even though deep down i know i should re-group and start actually trying. My usual excuse if i lose to inferior players is "id rather lose playing attacking and with flair than win playing tactical and boring"

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:Its partly arrogance Wild.

I do that when playing lesser players at pool or snooker, i get too arrogant and cocky then if my natural game isnt firing on all cylinders and / or the opponent has raised their game i tend to panic slightly but also keep playing all or nothing shots to make it look like im not concerened even though deep down i know i should re-group and start actually trying. My usual excuse if i lose to inferior players is "id rather lose playing attacking and with flair than win playing tactical and boring"

:redneck: :santa: :redneck: :santa:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Its partly arrogance Wild.

SPOT ON <ok>

Postby Wildey

anyway my point is

its a pride thing of wanting to play his way rather than don't care or his head in a jam jar when he attacks but when the other guy starts to play well and puts him under the cosh instead of re-evaluate his tactic he carries on and that's when he comes unstuck in matches against the likes of bingham.

when he plays the really top players thats not a issue for him.

Postby Monique

Wild "it's easier for him ... etc..." Ronnie doesn't care about what "people" write on forums, never reads any of it actually, or what they think. He doesn't care in the least. So that's tezzies.
He does throw his toys out of the pram occasionally, but not systematically far from it, when things don't go his way. He's got quite a few memorable comebacks over the years and to point only at recent examples, the 2008 GP semi vs Murphy, the 2009 Masters final vs Selby (and Selby was the better player on that day, no question), the round 1 in the Masters 2010 vs Robbo (winning 6-4 from 0-3 down), the 2009 UK semi vs Higgins, so that's definitely not true. And when he loses the plot it's also not always vs "weaker" players neither: think the NIT 2006 final vs Ding, the Welsh 2008 final, the Masters 2010 and the WC quarters 2010 vs Selby, and of course the UK 2006 walk-out.
It's much more about inner feelings and confidence than anything else.
And regarding Stuart Bingham, watch that match again and you will see he was OK until the MSI of the second session, then came back a different person. I don't know what happened during that MSI but something triggered a huge mood swing. Something that might or might not be related to the match at hand. Also I think you should give more credit to Bingham: he was playing very, very well, as he can do on his day and he is one who raises his game against the top boys (again ask Hendry ;)). It's not that Ronnie was complacent, certainly not for the 3 first mini sessions.
Last edited by Monique on 29 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote: Also I think you should give more credit to Bingham: he was playing very, very well, as he can do on his day and he is one who raises his game against the top boys (again ask Hendry ;)). It's not that Ronnie was complacent, certainly not for the 3 first mini sessions.

Why, does Hendry have the numbers of the top players in question? <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Wild "it's easier for him ... etc..." Ronnie doesn't care about what "people" write on forums, never reads any of it actually, or what they think. He doesn't care in the least. So that's tezzies.
He does throw his toys out of the pram occasionally, but not systematically far from it, when things don't go his way. He's got quite a few memorable comebacks over the years and to point only at recent examples, the 2008 GP semi vs Murphy, the 2009 Masters final vs Selby (and Selby was the better player on that day, no question), the round 1 in the Masters 2010 vs Robbo (winning 6-4 from 0-3 down), the 2009 UK semi vs Higgins, so that's definitely not true. And when he loses the plot it's also not always vs "weaker" players neither: think the NIT 2006 final vs Ding, the Welsh 2008 final, the Masters 2010 and the WC quarters 2010 vs Selby, and of course the UK 2006 walk-out.
It's much more about inner feelings and confidence than anything else.
And regarding Stuart Bingham, watch that match again and you will see he was OK until the MSI of the second session, then came back a different person. I don't know what happened during that MSI but something triggered a huge mood swing. Something that might or might not be related to the match at hand. Also I think you should give more credit to Bingham: he was playing very, very well, as he can do on his day and he is one who raises his game against the top boys (again ask Hendry ;)). It's not that Ronnie was complacent, certainly not for the 3 first mini sessions.

ill tell you what happened in that MSI he realised Stuart Bingham not rolling over for him and panic set in.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:I think Hendry might have some vivid memories of a certain first round exit in the WC 2000 :stir:

that is why i know exactly what players like Ronnie going through playing players they should beat seen it many times with hendry over 20 years.

Hendry always played better against better players ok hendry wasn't as blatent as Ronnie with it but his atitute was if i cant beat this muppet playing my way then i don't deserve to win.