Topic locked

Re: 12Bet.com UK Championship Final Discussion!!!!!!!!

Postby SnookerFan

Surely though, Ronnie's achievements outstrip John's though, being that Ronnie has won more Masters. Okay, ranking events wise they are pretty equal, but would you rather have Higgins PTC, or a few extra Masters titles thrown in there.

Postby Eirebilly

Seems to have been a bit of tension on here today in regards to Higgins victory. I did say yesterday that you could'nt write Higgins off as he is one hell of a fighter.

I have always said that i would stand behind any independant tribunals findings in regards to Higgins and i still do. Its great to have him back and playing at such a level. I didnt get to watch the last 2 frames but his fightback before hand was simply brilliant.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:wild help stop this crap being written by not writing it yourself. your attacks on jimmy earlier in the week were disgraceful.

what attack thats part of being on a sport forum just because hes jimmy doesent meen he is above stick.

You can have a go at anyone but your attacks were unnecessarily abusive.

no they werent

you did call him fat, bald and had numerous other digs at him that were below the belt. <ok>

Postby Wildey

eirebilly wrote:I have always said that i would stand behind any independant tribunals findings in regards to Higgins and i still do.

that is the key.

we can moan we can say it was currupt but bottom line it was the verdict and in truth what do we know to say its not the correct verdict ? NOTHING.

what if they had found him guilty ? WHAT THEN ??

other people will be saying it was a wrong decision it was a no win for own selfish reasons from fans.

all we can do is accept the verdict and move on nothing anyone can do and whos to say THEY GOT IT SPOT ON.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:Surely though, Ronnie's achievements outstrip John's though, being that Ronnie has won more Masters. Okay, ranking events wise they are pretty equal, but would you rather have Higgins PTC, or a few extra Masters titles thrown in there.

Yeh Ronnies achievments are far better as hes not been focused or fussed half of his career yet still has the same ranking titles tally as Higgins.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:what attack thats part of being on a sport forum just because hes jimmy doesent meen he is above stick.

no they werent

you did call him fat, bald and had numerous other digs at him that were below the belt. <ok>

HE IS FAT

HE IS BALDING

WHERE IS YOUR PROOF HIGGINS IS A parakeet ??

Postby Witz78

case_master wrote:
Well here is the hypocrisy GJ. Ronnie has been found guilt of brining the game into disrepute and never got a ban (rightly so).
Higgins was found not guilty of the main charge, just like Hann in his rape cases. 6 months and total costs of over £100k, missing two ranking events is alot for bringing the game into disrepute. In fact its a hell of alot more than anybody else got for the same charge, and there’s been several.

The biggest laugh was all those cheering for Maguire against Higgins and calling John a parakeet.

no he WASNT found not guilty of the main charges, they were conveniently dropped at the last minute :chin: and the possible compromise of a guilty plea on the lesser charge of disrepute was reached.

Is it sheep? :huh:
Is it dog? :huh:

Nah bull, that what the stench around this case and verdict is to me :no:

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:

no they werent

HE IS FAT

HE IS BALDING

WHERE IS YOUR PROOF HIGGINS IS A parakeet ??

bullocks

Hes not balding, hes BALD :D

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:REASON FOR DROPING THEM

no proof to put up

A compromise reached? :john:

Plenty of proof as far as i can see and anyone else could see from the video and the immediate aftermath <doh>

If you believe in the Russian Mafia yous probably still believe in Father Christmas too :cracker:

Postby Eirebilly

I actually wanted Williams to win because i really have grown to appreciate his style. Back in the early 00's i honestly could'nt warm to him but over the years i really have started to enjoy watching him play.

From what i saw of the match (up to 9-8) it was a quality final and that is how i will choose to remember it.

Postby gallantrabbit

eirebilly wrote:I actually wanted Williams to win because i really have grown to appreciate his style. Back in the early 00's i honestly could'nt warm to him but over the years i really have started to enjoy watching him play.

From what i saw of the match (up to 9-8) it was a quality final and that is how i will choose to remember it.

Billy how could you see to 9-8 and then go to bed??? :john:

Postby Bourne

gallantrabbit wrote:
eirebilly wrote:I actually wanted Williams to win because i really have grown to appreciate his style. Back in the early 00's i honestly could'nt warm to him but over the years i really have started to enjoy watching him play.

Billy how could you see to 9-8 and then go to bed??? :john:

He thought it was still BO17 :redneck:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:REASON FOR DROPING THEM

no proof to put up

A compromise reached? :john:

Plenty of proof as far as i can see and anyone else could see from the video and the immediate aftermath <doh>

If you believe in the Russian Mafia yous probably still believe in Father Christmas too :cracker:

so you know what excuses Pat Mooney been feeding John prior to the meeting then ?

mate your snake hissing against the wind harping on about it.

regarding the video only someone naive would see that as evidence or proof as to what went on.

as far as i was concerned that was only a reason to start a investigation then throw that edited tape in the bin where it belong and start looking at the real evidence.

Postby paperbackwriter

After coming home today, I turned on the tv, saw the repeat of the match was on and switched the channel faster than I realized what I was doing. For sure Masters and Worlds will be won by players I like.

(About John though, I thought the frustration of guys convinced he's guilty will be funny and I'm bored already, my only consolation gone. And to be more serious, I really thought I'd enjoy this comeback despite not really liking Higgins. Hormones perhaps- yes, I always have to blame something.)

BTW, just as I managed to explain to everyone drawing on the easels close to mine why the bad mood on such an ugly Monday morning, a friend burst into the studio almost 2 hours late and started telling me about how she couldn't stop watching yesterday despite knowing nothing about the game and how bad she felt for Williams.

Postby Smart

Disgusting result, what a tarnished sport we have. <ok>

We have the greatest ever cueman can't be fussed to try, then we have people agreeing to fix matches coming back and the red carpet is rolled out like they are some sort of God. Some people would happily watch an old lady be mugged too. Disgrace. :| :idea: :| :idea:

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:I feel bucking sick. bucking sick. Hats off to Higgins but buck me I can't remember feeling this gutted ever after a snooker match. bucking sick. bucking, bucking sick. buck.

Gutting innit. :idea:

Even worse when the guy should not even be playing the game, what a snake hiss take. I hope to God this farce does not continue and Wembley give him a proper reception. This love-in and forgiveness don't cut it for me. Tarnished, scarred sport. :|

Postby Witz78

case_master wrote:To be many seen it coming and said he would be back winning majors. He is now the most successful snooker player in their 30’s from the modern era.

on the basis of a PTC over Ronnie with them both on 22 main rankers? rofl

Id rather have more UK and Masters titles among my 22 than minor ones <ok>

The Premier League titles count too in their comparison / trophy haul <ok>

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
case_master wrote:To be many seen it coming and said he would be back winning majors. He is now the most successful snooker player in their 30’s from the modern era.

Higgins has 2 World titles a UK a Masters and 2 GP’s since he turned 30. No other player has been as successful in their 30’s

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Witz78 wrote:

And the 4 Masters titles aren't even among these 22 <ok>

Postby Casey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

And the 4 Masters titles aren't even among these 22 <ok>

You both obviously read the point wrong. John Higgins is the most successful player in their 30’s ie from he turned 30 he has won more than any other player in their 30’s up since the age of the modern era
Also no I wasn’t counting the PTC win.

Postby Witz78

case_master wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Higgins has 2 World titles a UK a Masters and 2 GP’s since he turned 30. No other player has been as successful in their 30’s

ah right, u meant most successful when "in " their 30s :chin:

Hendry must look at Williams and Higgins in ydays final and think, how come these guys who are only 6 years younger than me are competing for the big prizes whilst ive not been a serious contender for almost a decade.

The modern era started in 1969 though and Reardon won 5 of his 6 titles in his 40s so thats the benchmark <ok>

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
case_master wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Hendry must look at Williams and Higgins in ydays final and think, how come these guys who are only 6 years younger than me are competing for the big prizes whilst ive not been a serious contender for almost a decade.

The modern era started in 1969 though and Reardon won 5 of his 6 titles in his 40s so thats the benchmark <ok>

Hendry underachieved in his 30’s for sure. I think the 2002 final defeat to Ebdon was a massive blow and he never fully recovered. People say he was arrogant, he was in that match and paid the ultimate price.

Postby Roland

I think how it's panned out has been pretty amazing. First we had Hendry, and then we had the trio join him in being able to play to that standard and they became the "Big Four". And then Higgins had a period of dominance, and then Williams had a period of dominance, and throughout O'Sullivan was picking up the pieces and always playing well but having off days a plenty.

And then we had 2005-2006. Paul Hunter died. Shaun Murphy won a World Title. Higgins disappeared. Williams severely dipped and lost interest. Hendry regains WN1 without winning anything. Who wants to grab this game by the scruff of the neck? Ding? He seemed the only saviour on the horizon.

And then all of a sudden O'Sullivan starts to mature and starts to dominate and plays probably the best snooker seen by anyone ever climaxing in his utter demolition job of Hendry in the 2008 World semi. And then John Higgins also entering the years of maturity decides that he's going to get in on the act and takes the baton and becomes by far the best player in the world playing snooker equivalent to O'Sullivan in quality but of the matchplay variety and has a second wind of domination. And then Mark Williams finally perks up and thinks "I'm having some of that, I used to beat these guys and if they can still do it..." and although he's not had a second wind of domination, he's back up to WN3 and his 2010 featured:

A classic encouter with Ronnie at the Masters which he lost 6-5
Probably the most entertaining final of the season against Ding to win the China Open
Probably the match of the season to beat Murphy in the UK semis after having a spell of 400 odd points against and no ball potted for nearly 80 minutes from 6-3 to 6-8 and then wins the last 3 frames.
Last night's final in which he is the only player ever to blow a 4 up with 5 to play match without bottling a single shot

To anyone who says this proves snooker hasn't moved on and that young fresh blood is required I say this. O'Sullivan, Higgins and Williams are special. They came from the same generation as I did. They grew up with snooker booming in the 80's and with Steve Davis and Jimmy White and Kirk Stevens and players like that for inspiration. They are the pick of the generation of kids who grew up in snooker's boom years when more kids than ever played the game.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
case_master wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Hendry underachieved in his 30’s for sure. I think the 2002 final defeat to Ebdon was a massive blow and he never fully recovered. People say he was arrogant, he was in that match and paid the ultimate price.

Hendrys long potting was on the wane long before 2002 but his break-building wasn't.

but when you cant get in off your own bat as consistent as once it puts pressure on rest of your game..positional play becomes more essential because you know you will have to rely on a mistake to get back in as against potting his way back with a chance.

i think Mark Williams had a taste of that this week.

had hendry had the long game of the past he would have beaten Ebdon in 2002.