Topic locked

Re: 12Bet.com UK Championship Final Discussion!!!!!!!!

Postby footygirl

OK everyone - I am going to have my say.

What John did was wrong - but he has served his suspension. It is not an episode that anyone would be proud of but the time has come to move on. John is back and he deserved to win last night. Yes I feel sorry for Mark - and it will take a lot of time before he forgets about last night. But please it is Christmas and it is time that we say enough said on the subject.

By all means have your own opinions on the matter but I think John regrets it now- he has had to deal with it. I am not prepared to throw anyone to the wolves over a terrible mistake.

Righ on that note rant over- let's move on and give him a second chance. He has earned it.

Back today from Telford at 3pm - am totally shattered. Thanks for the feedback on my work

Postby GJ

footygirl wrote:Eh - where did that come from and why

WE NEED FRSH BLOOD ON THE TV

HAZEL HAS HAD HER TIME

:ahh:

Postby Tubberlad

Suzy wrote:By all means have your own opinions on the matter but I think John regrets it now- he has had to deal with it. I am not prepared to throw anyone to the wolves over a terrible mistake.

Wonderful quote Suzy... and my point exactly. I've found the adoration of Higgins really tiresome, he's not Mahatma Gandhi, but I'm equally sick of those who compare him to Mugabe. Stand up the man who claims to have never screwed up, and he's not a man at all.

Postby Witz78

footygirl wrote:I have seen some pretty strong stuff on here the last few days. I was in the press conference when John came in last night- you could see what it meant to him. He has been through a difficult time. I welcome him back

its a highly emotive and divisive topic of debate and the argument will roll on and on :santa:

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:
footygirl wrote:I have seen some pretty strong stuff on here the last few days. I was in the press conference when John came in last night- you could see what it meant to him. He has been through a difficult time. I welcome him back

its a highly emotive and divisive topic of debate and the argument will roll on and on :santa:

:bowdown: :excited:

Postby Tubberlad

As I posted elsewhere...

A few points I'd like to make...

1) The Higgins love-in is a bit sickening. He is not a hero. He is a very fine snooker player who was really thick at the very least.

2) That said, I pity people thinking that showing emotion over your dying father is a PR exercise. Really pity them. That's hard on anyone, and it's downright low to use that as a stick to beat a man. That said, it does not change my mind on Higgins.

3) John Higgins is not a GOAT contender. Ronnie O'Sullivan isn't IMO, and Higgins is actually still lower for now in my opinion. Stephen Hendry is by far and away and away and away the greatest player of all time.

4) He was very lucky last night. I feel really bad for Williams, one of the all-time greats to lose in such a manner. I can't see him winning another major now unfortunately.

5) John Higgins did play wonderfully over the last five frames, is a class act as a player, and has once again proven himself to be one of the very finest.

Postby Bourne

From a humane side it was nice to see him win it considering his family problems that we know about and anyone can see how much it meant to him
From a sporting side again how can you not appreciate that sort of class in the game ? If you don't like him then fair enough but him being at the top of the game will help the likes of Robertson and Ding and Selby et al to raise their game again because he's given them a kick up the ass reminding them that he's still the man to beat in the game.

I understand Williams' fans disappointments of course but a big percentage of Williams fans last night weren't supporting him because they wanted him to win, they just wanted Higgins to lose for whatever reason and I think that says more about them than Higgins <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

I was not wishing a loss on Higgins, I really wanted Mark to win... was gutted to see him lose in such a manner.

It was an absolutely incredible game, and proof that our sport is bigger than one player (see Ronnie O'Sullivan). Magic...

By the way, though it has no bearing at all on my thoughts over the whole Higgins issue, I was quite moved to see his reaction in talking about his father... lovely moment.

Postby randam05

thetubberlad wrote:I was not wishing a loss on Higgins, I really wanted Mark to win... was gutted to see him lose in such a manner.

It was an absolutely incredible game, and proof that our sport is bigger than one player (see Ronnie O'Sullivan). Magic...

By the way, though it has no bearing at all on my thoughts over the whole Higgins issue, I was quite moved to see his reaction in talking about his father... lovely moment.

well said <ok>

Sad thing is, the drama didnt start till towards the end, so viewing figures will still not be great..looking forward to seeing though..will update the tv viewings thread under GSD once i know. :)

Postby Witz78

randam05 wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:I was not wishing a loss on Higgins, I really wanted Mark to win... was gutted to see him lose in such a manner.

well said <ok>

Sad thing is, the drama didnt start till towards the end, so viewing figures will still not be great..looking forward to seeing though..will update the tv viewings thread under GSD once i know. :)

well last night was the record aggregate TV audience in the UK for 18 years.

Though the X Factor, Strictly, the Elton John interview got the lions share of the viewers, so i dont know how the figures tailed off once these programmes ended and the snooker was still on.

Postby randam05

Its sad how 15 odd million people will watch some god dam awful x factor singing crap, but not enjoy that snooker match? seriously is there anything else in the world on tv where you will get that amount of excitement? seriously? answer that? i cannot think of any other sport or programme with that amount of drama..i seriously think if people gave snooker a chance and it had some PROMOTING there would be a growth in the sport. This countries quite sad really..the stuff people watch.

Postby vodkadiet

randam05 wrote:Its sad how 15 odd million people will watch some god dam awful x factor singing crap, but not enjoy that snooker match? seriously is there anything else in the world on tv where you will get that amount of excitement? seriously? answer that? i cannot think of any other sport or programme with that amount of drama..i seriously think if people gave snooker a chance and it had some PROMOTING there would be a growth in the sport. This countries quite sad really..the stuff people watch.

I find people's obsession with warbling and football vey strange.

Postby Tubberlad

randam05 wrote:seriously is there anything else in the world on tv where you will get that amount of excitement? seriously? answer that? i cannot think of any other sport or programme with that amount of drama..

I don't know... I was watching red hot dutch last Friday night, and I was pretty riveted...

Postby randam05

vodkadiet wrote:
randam05 wrote:Its sad how 15 odd million people will watch some god dam awful x factor singing crap, but not enjoy that snooker match? seriously is there anything else in the world on tv where you will get that amount of excitement? seriously? answer that? i cannot think of any other sport or programme with that amount of drama..i seriously think if people gave snooker a chance and it had some PROMOTING there would be a growth in the sport. This countries quite sad really..the stuff people watch.

I find people's obsession with warbling and football vey strange.

good...football is just dire, absoloutley awful. No excitement whatsoever, just over paid hammers kicking a football round a grass patch for 1.5 hours and it ending the famous score of 0-0 what a waste of my life. Will and have never like/d football and never intend to watch a match..i dont even watch 2 mins of the world cup. Sorry everyone, and i say everyone cause for some reason 'everyone' likes or loves football, even if they say they dont. :mood:

Postby randam05

thetubberlad wrote:I don't like Football at all, but I still won the World Cup prediction contest ;)

oo well done, i wouldnt have a clue how to predict football, simply dont have a clue about it.

Give me a quick trivia on it if you like.

Anyway, glad theres two people in england who dont like football..oo ireland sorry.

I just think its pretty much every average persons favourite thing and i find it boring and simple minded.

Postby vodkadiet

I lived for a while in New Zealand and they are fanatical about Rugby Union, and Indians are fanatical about cricket. Whilst in my opinion Rugby Union and Cricket are more interesting than football it still shows than nations can be brainwashed into liking a sport they would otherwise have little interest in.

Despite having football being pumped into me every day as a child I quickly realised it was extremely boring and wanted no part of the hype.
Last edited by vodkadiet on 14 Dec 2010, edited 1 time in total.