Topic locked

Re: the Hendry v White thread

Postby gallantrabbit

Well glad Jim didn't go down on a twitched black.
Hendry still has that uncanny knack eh? Not sure he'll play much better against Williams though, Williams hot favourite.
JImmy take encouragement and keep punching. Do you think Jim has ever analysed a match in his life? I mean ok his potting is not up to what it used to be, but surely there are other areas in which he could improve. Get Ray Reardon to have a look Jim!!

Postby Roland

Have you noticed a change in the way Jimmy delivers the cue gallant? He reminds me of Dott. If you're facing him you can see his body jerk as he plays the shot. It looks like a bad habit he's got himself into over recent times.

Postby gallantrabbit

have said for a while Sonny that it all looks awkward. One of the reasons is his weight for sure. If he's working with Reardon you'd have thought Ray would have looked closer..

Postby SnookerFan

Mate, what an awesome match that was. I travelled all the way to Telford to see a high-octane, action packed performance between two accurate potting machines.

<doh>

Postby Roland

A DISAPPOINTED Joe Perry has admitted the UK Snooker Championship is proving uncomfortable viewing after the Chatteris potter was denied an appearance in the first round by his boyhood hero Jimmy White.

Perry was knocked out of the competition by the snooker legend, who he cites as the “reason he got into snooker”, after losing 9-6 in the final qualifying round last week.

And the 36-year-old, who is currently ranked 28th in the world, said he has been frustrated watching his rivals compete in a competition he felt he could excel in.

“It’s gutting not to be there and it was a disappointing result,” he said. “But the more disappointing thing was watching White play (Stephen) Hendry this week. He was two different players.

“I didn’t get a look in at all in the first session against him. He hardly put a foot wrong and he basically didn’t miss a ball.

“There’s no point in moping about it. I lost and he played very well to beat me. That’s the brutal truth. But it is frustrating watching the next rounds on television. There’s no way Stephen Hendry is playing as well as I thought I was playing.

“The last three times I have played Stephen I have beaten him resoundingly. I take nothing away from him, he’s one of the greatest to ever play snooker, but he’s past his best and I’d have loved to have played him.”

The Fen Potter has now returned to the practice table in preparation for the upcoming qualifying rounds of the German Masters.

“I still feel like I’m playing really well,” he said. “I’ve just been a bit unfortunate to come across the Whirlwind in great form. I’ve got years of good snooker left in me.”

White’s qualifying triumph was the highlight of his tournament, as the Whirlwind also crashed out in a 9-8 defeat to Hendry on Monday.

“I probably won’t watch too much more of the snooker to be honest,” said Perry. “It’s what I do so I might escape it for a while and watch a bit of the football. I’m sure builders don’t go home and watch the DIY programmes.”

http://www.cambstimes.co.uk/sport/uk_ch ... e_1_747872

Love the last quote <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:
A DISAPPOINTED Joe Perry has admitted the UK Snooker Championship is proving uncomfortable viewing after the Chatteris potter was denied an appearance in the first round by his boyhood hero Jimmy White.

Perry was knocked out of the competition by the snooker legend, who he cites as the “reason he got into snooker”, after losing 9-6 in the final qualifying round last week.

And the 36-year-old, who is currently ranked 28th in the world, said he has been frustrated watching his rivals compete in a competition he felt he could excel in.

“It’s gutting not to be there and it was a disappointing result,” he said. “But the more disappointing thing was watching White play (Stephen) Hendry this week. He was two different players.

“I didn’t get a look in at all in the first session against him. He hardly put a foot wrong and he basically didn’t miss a ball.

“There’s no point in moping about it. I lost and he played very well to beat me. That’s the brutal truth. But it is frustrating watching the next rounds on television. There’s no way Stephen Hendry is playing as well as I thought I was playing.

“The last three times I have played Stephen I have beaten him resoundingly. I take nothing away from him, he’s one of the greatest to ever play snooker, but he’s past his best and I’d have loved to have played him.”

The Fen Potter has now returned to the practice table in preparation for the upcoming qualifying rounds of the German Masters.

“I still feel like I’m playing really well,” he said. “I’ve just been a bit unfortunate to come across the Whirlwind in great form. I’ve got years of good snooker left in me.”

White’s qualifying triumph was the highlight of his tournament, as the Whirlwind also crashed out in a 9-8 defeat to Hendry on Monday.

“I probably won’t watch too much more of the snooker to be honest,” said Perry. “It’s what I do so I might escape it for a while and watch a bit of the football. I’m sure builders don’t go home and watch the DIY programmes.”

http://www.cambstimes.co.uk/sport/uk_ch ... e_1_747872

Love the last quote <laugh>

That Jimmy White match was uncomfortable viewing for all. <laugh>

Postby wheelsofsteel

If he has any sense he will. A commentary job might be the only one he's got in snooker shortly. Sad to say, he doesn't have a clue what's happening to his game. He is having conversations now with those in the commentary box about what is happeing which puts him on a par with Parrott and Virgo and Thorne. he's tried Griffiths. He's tried the chap who coached Ebdon (?). He will have tried others. But his game and his head is a mess just now. And it is so sad to see because people now slate him for what he is rather than what he was - which in his time was unbeatable

Postby SnookerFan

Lets hope so. Hendry, in my opinion, is a better commentator then Steve Davis, John Parrot or Ken Doherty. I like all three men, but they seem better served in the analysis room with Hazel, then they do on commentary. Ken's accent is too strong to do commentary, and as much as I like the guy, he doesn't have enough of interest to stay during the course of an entire frame.

John and Steve are a bit better, but I feel Hendry was the best ot the lot. As the most successful player ever, his opinion on each shot carries more weight then most, and what he would point out was more interesting then a lot of the commentators. And he seems to have a chripier sense of humour when he's not playing, that you wouldn't neccessarily think he did from seeing him at the table. He comes across quite well, and really engaged you in the match.

Though, it's unlikely, I'd like to see Clive Everton and Stephen Hendry commentate on a match. It's clear Hendry has a future as commentator, should he want it. <ok>