Topic locked

Re: UK Championship preview

Postby Wildey

Selby is a man who frustrates me. The question of whether or not he has the game to beat the best doesn’t arise, yet his distinctly average record in ranking events doesn’t do him justice at all.

totally 110% agree with that statement.

for him to have played in only 3 Ranking final and only 1 since his WC Final in 2007 is unbelievable he needs to convert form in to titles.

he is a sort of modern day Terry Griffiths very consistent but always falls short. he needs to be a modern day Steve Davis and soon.

Postby kostasmad

I dont know guys.,...I have a weird feeling that we will have a surprise winner next week. And i mean someone outside the top-16...

Postby Roland

Which qualifier is capable though kostas? Walden, Gould, Trump.... Jimmy White?

Postby Wildey

well Jimmy wont see tuesday so forget him.

as for others i agree there's nobody there that's capable of winning the UK on current form.

the winner will come from the usual suspects im going for a tale of 2 Marks Selby and Williams this time

Postby kostasmad

I would say Walden but he has a difficult draw. Gould or Trump is another choice but i think they are missing something...Stevens has no chance. Lee usually performs in big evens (remember masters) and he has a descent form. Again he has Higgins...hmmmmm tough one ...

Postby onlyevertonjon

Sorry but can we not arrange the Dott vs Tabb naked match that was hinted at in a previous post?

Very good article Tubber. I enjoyed reading that and appreciate the effort that has gone into it. Have you parted with your money to any bookmakers?

I am normally the first person to suggest backing against O'Sullivan but I have a feeling he will come through this year. Unfortunately, I wont be able to watch most of it as Im off to Australia to watch the cricket for my Christmas present to myself. :excited: :excited: :santa:

Postby Bourne

Don't see much success for the qualifiers here myself, top players usually come through like we saw last year and even in the shorter-format of the World Open. Can see someone like Ebdon or Williams making a decent run with their draws, but i'll take O'Sullivan just because he must be due a big win now and the PL win should have lifted his confidence a bit.

Postby simplysnooker

A very competitive line-up. I'm going for Ronnie based on his form in the PL and his confidence is sky high. Ding may pull something out of the bag, Williams, Selby, Robertson, Dott, all have big chances to name a few. As well as Higgins who is out to prove himself once again. Should be a fantastic 9 days!

Postby Roland

source: http://www.110sport.tv/news/804

Ali Carter wrote:It would be really nice to reach the UK final for the first time. My match with Marco in 2008 was one which I really should have won. I was 5-2 ahead and was unable to kill him off – that was really disappointing. I believe that if I had won that match I would have went on to win the tournament but there’s no point in looking back on what might have been.

Stephen Hendry wrote:It will be nice to play Jimmy; he obviously is playing well as Joe Perry is a very tough opponent. I am sure the crowd will be good for the match and hopefully those watching on television will enjoy it too.

There have been plenty of opportunities to play in events since Glasgow with the PTC and EPTC tournaments so there certainly isn’t a player who can say they have not got chances to play competitive snooker. A lot of players have embraced the PTC and EPTC events and have been rewarded in the rankings. There have been enough points available to help the consistent players at the top end of the rankings push away a bit.

My finals played over two days against Steve Davis stick in my mind, especially the match in 1990 where I won 16-15. However in terms of performance my final against Ken Doherty in 1995 was one of the best of my career. I made seven centuries in that match and I am not sure if I have ever played as well as I did on that day.

Marco Fu wrote:I was really disappointed to lose to Shaun in the final, it was even harder to take as it was the deciding frame - you can’t dwell on these matches too much and just have to hope that your time will come.

It was strange playing Shaun Murphy in the semi-finals of the Premier League. A best of nine match seemed much longer than usual. That’s just because in the last few months it has been best of five and best of seven. It shouldn’t take long to adjust though and the matches are split in two with an interval as well.

Peter Ebdon wrote:It’s very exciting to be about to play in such a big event. I must admit I have found it difficult to compete in the shorter frame events but I can now look forward to what is one of the biggest tournaments on the calendar.

I feel I played quite well in some of the PTC events. In the end I only missed out on the play-off stage after losing to Shaun Murphy in the quarter-finals in Prague. That was disappointing but they have provided good match practice and I feel that my game is sharp going into the tournament.

Mark King wrote:I didn’t do too well in the PTC events but I did enjoy playing in them. The only problem is that if you don’t win enough matches then you are likely to lose money – that’s just part and parcel of the game however.

I’ve got fond memories of my win against Ronnie in 2005 especially given I was behind in that match. I think the thing is with the longer matches you can go into panic mode. That’s not the case with the longer matches, even at 3-0 down there’s still a lot of snooker to be played.

Mark Allen wrote:I am feeling good about my game and my form picked up in the last few EPTC events. I got to the semi’s in Germany then lost to John Higgins in Prague after winning a few matches – it’s been nice to enjoy a bit of a run.

Perhaps it shouldn’t be the case but with the ranking points and the prize money attached to the UK Championship and World Championship the season revolves around those two events. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that the top players turn on the form at these bigger events and I’m hopeful I can do the same this time round.

I lost to Mark Williams a few years ago 10-5 from 5-1 up and in that match he barely missed a ball which was quite hard to take. The following year I lost to Shaun Murphy 9-5 and he went on to win the event, then last year Stephen Lee beat me despite that fact I made four or five centuries in the match.

I think that shows how good the quality is and how much players want to win.

Ryan Day wrote:I have come up against some very difficult opponents – Matthew Stevens who is a former champion, Marco Fu just after he won the Grand Prix and Liang Wenbo in a match where there were eleven breaks over 50 in the twelve frames we played. There’s no doubt I would like to progress further but I know I will have to play very well. I have played Mark (King) many times before and have a good idea of what to expect - he is a very good match player and won’t give me many chances.

Postby Witz78

4 THINGS I WANT FROM THE UK CHAMPIONSHIP

1) RONNIE TO WIN THE TOURNAMENT AND PROVE ALL THE DOUBTERS WRONG
2) JIMMY TO BEAT HENDRY
3) TRUMP TO COME OF AGE AND HAVE A GREAT RUN IN THE TOURNAMENT
4) HIGGINS TO GET BOOOOED AND HECKLED AND LOSE THE PLOT AND MATCH TO LEE

Christmas come early if all 4 of them happen !!

Postby Roland

WHO DOUBTS RONNIE HAS IT IN HIM TO WIN THE UK?

Postby Wildey

Heres a thought :idea2:

Sonny been on 110sport site :redneck:

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:WHO DOUBTS RONNIE HAS IT IN HIM TO WIN THE UK?

:D :wave:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:4 THINGS I WANT FROM THE UK CHAMPIONSHIP

1) RONNIE TO WIN THE TOURNAMENT AND PROVE ALL THE DOUBTERS WRONG
2) JIMMY TO BEAT HENDRY
3) TRUMP TO COME OF AGE AND HAVE A GREAT RUN IN THE TOURNAMENT
4) HIGGINS TO GET BOOOOED AND HECKLED AND LOSE THE PLOT AND MATCH TO LEE

Christmas come early if all 4 of them happen !!

not a good christmas for you then <ok>

Postby GJ

StalinESQ wrote:WHY SO MANY CAPS LOCKS ON THIS THREAD :|

witz attention seeking

:wave:

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:Part three just awaiting approval :)

tell mr aproval to get his ass in gear <laugh>

Postby Wildey

PART 3 IS bullocks <ok>

;) ;)

i will enjoy highlighting where you went wrong :redneck:

Postby Roland

If this was QI then the buzzers and lights would be going off. As soon as I read the bit about Hendry v White I thought it was too obvious for wild to comment.

Postby Bourne

Sonny wrote:If this was QI then the buzzers and lights would be going off. As soon as I read the bit about Hendry v White I thought it was too obvious for wild to comment.

<laugh>

Read it tubbs and I think it's a very fair assessment <ok> Ebdon seems an interesting prospect, if he can get past Robbo in R2 then there might just be a final spot waiting for him if he picks up some momentum, we know how good he can be over the distance and he's played alright this season, nothing spectacular.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:If this was QI then the buzzers and lights would be going off. As soon as I read the bit about Hendry v White I thought it was too obvious for wild to comment.

<laugh>

na everyones got opinions i just enjoy the banter.

i agree with tubber on most things i also think MJW will have a good run.

Postby Wildey

i hope trump reaches the quarters it would be a massive step up for him

Postby Bourne

Yeh I think anything less than quarters will be disappointing for Judd, should be about time he made a move in an event of this stature, but I fancy Carter will be too solid for him.

Postby Tubberlad

Sorry Wild, I deleted one of your comments by accident just to prove I'm not covering my own ass:

Wild correctly pointed out Hendry was also a runner-up in 2003 and is a TEN time finalist. I should have known considering it was my favourite player's finest hour...

If that could be changed?