Topic locked

WORLD SENIORS SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP – QUALIFIERS

Postby Monique

http://www.worldsnooker.com/world_champ ... tm?tid=154
See some of the greatest players from the Golden Age of Snooker battle against each other for the right to call them self the World Seniors Champion.

The World Seniors Qualifying event will be held in Cue Gardens, Bradford on 28-30 May. The players set to feature include Tony Knowles, Tony Drago, Mike Hallett, David Taylor, Dave Harold, Nigel Bond, Joe Swail plus another to be announced.

Former World Snooker Champion, Joe Johnson, one of the key people behind this new event stated: “Snooker fans have been crying out for this type of event and I am sure that we will do our best to put on an entertaining Championship. There are only a limited number of tickets available so fans should book their seats now!”

General admission and hospitality tickets are on sale now from www.worldsnooker.com/tickets. Alternatively, tickets can be purchased in person or by telephone from Cue Gardens, Stadium Road, Bradford (01274 607990) or the Telegraph and Argus office, Hall Ings, Bradford (01274 729511).

World Snooker reminds you only to purchase tickets from the World Snooker appointed Box Offices. Tickets bought from unauthorised sources may not be valid and admission to the event may not be permitted.

Re: WORLD SENIORS SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP – QUALIFIERS

Postby Wildey

Why is Stephen Hendry as a 40 year old missing from this line up is it because Top 16 Players cant Enter or He hates to be classed as a senior ?

He even had 110sport change the name of the tournament they organized earlier this season from Seniors to Legends or he was not playing in it.

Postby Witz78

Joke Bond, Swail and Harold are in this.

Current players on tour who are hardly exactly legendary figures within the game or colourful characters.

Id say the criteria for entering should be that you must be a former top 16 player and either no longer on the tour or at least 45 years of age

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Joke Bond, Swail and Harold are in this.

Current players on tour who are hardly exactly legendary figures within the game or colourful characters.

Id say the criteria for entering should be that you must be a former top 16 player and either no longer on the tour or at least 45 years of age

is this your way to fix it so Steve Davis wins ;) <laugh>

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Joke Bond, Swail and Harold are in this.

is this your way to fix it so Steve Davis wins ;) <laugh>

Not at all, infact id actually go as far as saying only ex-professionals over the age of 40 can enter. The players we havent seen for ages and who are all of a similar standard ie. not having played professionally recently.

Ideally this event would feature Reardon, Griffiths, Thorburn, Meo, A Higgins, Taylor, Johnson, Parrott, Knowles, Foulds, K Stevens, Hallett, Robidoux, Morgan and similar players only.

Postby Wildey

For what its worth i totally agree no real point having doherty or Davis there the ex pros apart from parrott maybe has no hope.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:For what its worth i totally agree no real point having doherty or Davis there the ex pros apart from parrott maybe has no hope.

And Ebdons there too, maybe that was a sweetener from Hearn to try and sway him rofl

Postby Wildey

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:I think the word 'qualifiers' is being used loosely here. I'd like to see them open this up a bit more & give other Over 40's ex-Pro's the chance to qualify. <ok>

any ex pro in mind ;)

yes i agree if they having a qualifier then make it a qualifier.

Postby gallantrabbit

I think the word 'qualifiers' is being used loosely here. I'd like to see them open this up a bit more & give other Over 40's ex-Pro's the chance to qualify.

John that wouldn't be a play for a spot would it mate?? You'd probably embarass them mate..if you're practising that is ;)

Postby Wildey

Templeton Peck wrote:I think it should be open to all ex-Tour players over the age of 45. It unbalances it too much by having players who are still professionally competitive. Take that Legends of snooker thing - Hendry beat Doherty in the final, and those were tour finals from just a few years ago.

completely agree im pleased on that basis Hendry not playing.

Postby Monique

Qualifiers start today ...

http://www.worldsnooker.com/world_senio ... tm?tid=163

World Seniors Snooker Championship Qualifiers

See some of the greatest players from the Golden Age of Snooker battle against each other for the right to call them self the World Seniors Champion.

The World Seniors Qualifying event will be held in Cue Gardens, Bradford on 28-30 May. The players set to feature include Tony Knowles, Tony Drago, Mike Hallett, David Taylor, Dave Harold, Nigel Bond, Joe Swail plus another to be announced.

Former World Snooker Champion, Joe Johnson, one of the key people behind this new event stated: “Snooker fans have been crying out for this type of event and I am sure that we will do our best to put on an entertaining Championship. There are only a limited number of tickets available so fans should book their seats now!”

General admission and hospitality tickets are on sale now from www.worldsnooker.com/tickets. Alternatively, tickets can be purchased in person or by telephone from Cue Gardens, Stadium Road, Bradford (01274 607990) or the Telegraph and Argus office, Hall Ings, Bradford (01274 729511)

World Snooker reminds you only to purchase tickets from the World Snooker appointed Box Offices. Tickets bought from unauthorised sources may not be valid and admission to the event may not be permitted.

and also

Tune In To Joe On The Radio

Former World Champion Joe Johnson will be on two radio stations this week, looking ahead to the World Seniors Championship qualifiers, which start on Friday.

The 1986 Crucible King will be on Yorkshire Radio (click here then click 'listen live') on Wednesday morning at 8.10am, then on BBC Radio Leeds (click here) as the studio guest from 6pm to 7pm on Thursday evening. He'll be reminiscing about his glory days in the sport as well as looking forward to the new Seniors event.

Tony Knowles, Tony Drago and Mike Hallett are among the stars competing in the qualifying event, which runs from Friday to Sunday.

General admission and hospitality tickets can be bought in person or by telephone from Cue Gardens, Stadium Road, Bradford (01274 607990) or the Telegraph and Argus office, Hall Ings, Bradford (01274 729511).

plus

Knowles Keen To Shine In Seniors Event

Former World No 2 and 1980s snooker pin-up Tony Knowles is among the star names competing in the World Seniors Championship qualifiers later this week.

Knowles returns to the competitive fray at Cue Gardens in Bradford for the event, which kicks off with a Sportsman's Dinner on Friday evening, with the action to follow on Saturday and Sunday.

It’s a new tournament on the World Snooker calendar, giving snooker-loving fans the chance to watch their heroes of past eras, and see how they fare against the over-40s still going on the professional circuit.

The qualifying phase features Tornado Tony Drago, Knowles, Mike Hallett, David ‘Silver Fox’ Taylor, Dave Harold, Nigel Bond, Peter Lines and Joe Swail. The winner will go through to the final stages in November, when former World Champions such as Steve Davis, Cliff Thorburn and Dennis Taylor will feature.

TICKETS FOR THE QUALIFYING EVENT ARE ON SALE NOW!! So don’t miss your chance to see what should be some top-draw entertainment.

Tickets can be purchased in person or by telephone from Cue Gardens, Stadium Road, Bradford (01274 607990) or the Telegraph and Argus office, Hall Ings, Bradford (01274 729511)

Knowles proved that he’s still got the golden touch at last year’s Betfred.com World Snooker Championship when he won a Six-Red tournament (pictured), and hopes that he can come out on top again in Bradford.

“I don’t play that often these days but you never lose it and hopefully I can qualify for the main event,” said Knowles. “Some of the guys are still competitive on the pro circuit, like Dave Harold, Nigel Bond and Joe Swail so they will be tough to beat. The quality of snooker will be high but no doubt there will also be a bit of fun and banter.

“This seniors event is a fantastic idea, I was speaking to Joe Johnson about it and we both felt that the time was right to promote the game and let the fans enjoy watching some of the legends in action.”

Knowles’ career highlights include beating Steve Davis 10-1 in the first round of the World Championship in 1982 and winning the Professional Players Championship the following year…not to mention having a suite named after him in the classic Peter Kay sitcom Phoenix Nights.

The Bolton cueman, who now devotes most of his time to running Churchills Wine Bar in the Lake District, added: “I’d love to get through to the final stages in November because a lot of the other top players from the 1980s will be there.”

* World Snooker reminds you only to purchase tickets from the World Snooker appointed Box Offices. Tickets bought from unauthorised sources may not be valid and admission to the event may not be permitted.